Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Hub for M3 - Yay or Nay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen these USB hubs for M3s that have the "older" 2 USB-A ports:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/VXDAS-Dash...&keywords=USB+Hub+tesla&qid=1600072178&sr=8-3

However, my collection is a week away and I'm assuming my M3 will have the USB-C for the wireless charger leaving one USB-A for Sentry Mode, which won't work with the hub linked above... so, is it feasible to use a normal USB Hub extender on this port or will that cause issues with Sentry mode recordings? Something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-4-Po...&keywords=USB+Hub+tesla&qid=1600072178&sr=8-5

Thanks in advance

Bonus Question: I've also read you can partition a big enough drive so you can keep one partition for sentry mode and other other for music - any experience with this? Does it work well enough?

From an IT point of view, I can't see why the Anker USB hub should give you any problems.

On the drive partitioning, that depends on how the Tesla OS interprets the drive. If it works for others then it should work for you.

I’ve got the older TapTes hub, which is only a splitter, not a true hub, but it works faultlessly.

I like the hub particularly because it hides away your SSD or whatever media you use.

My SSD is 240GB and is partitioned to half TeslaCam and half my music. That too works fine. Since the car has had the TeslaCam viewer available I’ve never extracted the drive.

I have the Jeda USB hub and am very happy with it. It comes down to personal preference but I find it a tidy solution and does hide the drive. I am using a 500GB Samsung T5 drive partitioned roughly 50/50 for TeslaCam and music. Overkill but I have a few at home and when on sale they are not overly expensive.

I run macOS on my computers and found this helpful for instructions for formatting:

[Mac] How to Format USB into 2 Partitions for DashCam and Music

• Informative
Reactions: JS77
I like the hub solutions personally, I've got the TapTes Hub 'Pro' which is all data enabled, so an actual hub rather than a splitter, which is the same for the new one compatible for your car

TAPTES Tesla Model 3 & Model Y USB Hub

Delivery from TapTes is back down to around 10 days after dispatch :)

Not tried a music partition personally, but lots of others seem to use it without issue.

Ah, that's great! Thanks for the link

Reactions: DaveW