Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Ports on Raven Models

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know the voltage on the front and back USB ports on the Raven Models? I noticed that my USB stick wouldn’t be recognized for storage by using a 12v usb socket adapter when I thought that was the one that was more powerful and would stay on when the car is powered off. I ended up using the built in ports.

Which ports remain on and off as well?

Does anyone know the voltage on the front and back USB ports on the Raven Models? I noticed that my USB stick wouldn’t be recognized for storage by using a 12v usb socket adapter when I thought that was the one that was more powerful and would stay on when the car is powered off. I ended up using the built in ports.

USB voltage is 5V... That doesn't change, the vehicle doesn't offer quick charge or other power delivery, so it's 5V.

The front USB ports are the only data capable ports (e.g. Sentry, Music, phone).

Using a cigarette lighter adapter does not provide data, therefore, you will not get anything other than charging through it.

The ports all power down unless you have Sentry enabled, in which case, the front USB ports remain powered up. I don't know if the 12V socket does as well.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTLSAGo
Thanks! I thought I remember reading somewhere that if you used a cig light adapter, you would get more voltage and it remained powered on when the car turned off. Anyhow, thanks for your reply!

No problem. Yes, you can get 12V adapters that can provide a lot more power than the USB ports in the car, but, they aren't going to be connected to the data lines if you want data-based services (Sentry, Music, Phone).

In terms of remaining powered on, it's possible that the front 12V port may remain powered on while in Sentry mode, but, I haven't truly checked..

I'm using a Raspberry Pi Zero W for my Sentry mode, and I have it plugged into a new USB power bank for power. That power bank is connected to a 12v adapter (higher power), but the data is connected to a USB hub that's connected to one of the front USB ports.

A lot of wires, for sure, but, I can use 2 wired Xbox controllers and still have my Sentry clips recorded.

@mjptech careful with that battery bank.

Ive seen cases where they blow up in the car when it gets too hot, especially ones you find on amazon using cheap cells. Also the heat is known to kill the pack faster then intended.

This is why i wont even use the blackvue battery bank, as i heard those even had issues.

@mjptech careful with that battery bank.

Ive seen cases where they blow up in the car when it gets too hot, especially ones you find on amazon using cheap cells. Also the heat is known to kill the pack faster then intended.

This is why i wont even use the blackvue battery bank, as i heard those even had issues.

Thanks for the reminder. Yup, I'm currently monitoring it (it's been cold in SoCal lately, so that should be fine).

I've left batteries in my other cars before without issue, so, hoping there won't be one with this (especially with cabin overheat protection always on).

Wow, I didn't know the LiFePo4 cells were having issues as well.

It's only been a few days since I placed the battery pack into action (got sick of waiting for the Pi to boot up every time I got into to car when Sentry was disabled, or if the USB ports reset causing it to reboot the Pi)

I've seen cables to that pipe a data connection and a power connection to your phone. You could hook up the cigarette adapter cable to the power portion and another from the front USB as data. It'd be ugly but it'd probably work. Make sure to get a cable rated for QC.