Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Sizing for Sentry Mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently running an old USB 2.0 32GB drive that works flawlessly versus some other drives which failed after they became full (even after reformatting).

Curious how much recording time I will have with my old USB 2.0 32GB drive? I also have a newer USB 3.0 256GB, but is that overkill? Recording times based on size would be great!!

Don't forget the dashcam size is also tripled. So now you need 5.4GB for buffering; lets make it 6GB. Each time you hit to save dashcam or an incident happened with sentry mode, it would be about 1GB. With your 32GB, you don't really get all 32GB.. probably closer to 29GB? So 29-6 = 23 sentry mode incidents or dashcam saves I think.

do you just tap the dashcam icon once to save the incident and then hold down the dashcam icon for a few seconds to be able to remove the usb successfully without deleting any data. Is this the correct process or am I missing something.

That's what I had to do. Also found it a bit challenging to format a 256GB drive as FAT32, which I believe is the only format the car will support. Apparently Windows drops the FAT32 option for drives greater than 32GB. If you have Windows, you need to find an app to do this. If you have a mac, you can use the native disk utility and select FAT, then master boor record...

You can use a USB 3 external drive as a thumb drive as long as it is formatted as FAT32. I am using one in my car, it functions perfectly, I have a 1 terrabyte unit, it has to be the type that doesn't need a seperate power cord. Concerns about space are gone.

That's what I had to do. Also found it a bit challenging to format a 256GB drive as FAT32, which I believe is the only format the car will support. Apparently Windows drops the FAT32 option for drives greater than 32GB. If you have Windows, you need to find an app to do this. If you have a mac, you can use the native disk utility and select FAT, then master boor record...

If you have Windows 10, you should be able to use command line in DOS shell to format FAT32.

Quick Format Drive F:
format /FS:FAT32 /Q F:

or Full Format Drive F:
format /FS:FAT32 F:

FWIW when the original TeslaCam was announced, I expected that there would be a need for more and more storage of video data. So I just sprung for this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D7Q41PM/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and formatted it on my computer (yes you can format this properly). It has been working flawlessly in my P3D+ for about 4 months (after the initial firmware correction for the file corruption).

And, no, I'm not privy to any secret information nor am I prescient, but you always should get the maximum amount of memory/storage you can afford, as you will eventually need it and use it.

T5 does not have power loss protection. T5 is good though I use them to backup my computer.

I went with this enclosure
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XLB0EOW

I also went with this enterprise class Samsung 883 DCT 480GB SSD, it was sold by Amazon for $119 but I guess they ran out?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HCDZR2N
240GB version is $70 sold by Amazon but only 5 left.
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-883-DCT-MZ-7LH240NE-Warranty/dp/B07HCFMGL6

I just installed it today and I'll probably drive around some tomorrow and see if the power loss protection built into the Samsung 883 stops corruption. I've never lost anything on my flash drive but every time I checked it in my PC corruption was found.

I formatted 200 GB for Camera 200 GB for music and 48 GB unformatted.

I've never lost anything on my flash drive but every time I checked it in my PC corruption was found.

Same with my flash drives on both my Model X and Model 3. It has been that way since I first got DashCam last year throughout the different software versions. Now I read them on my phone using UTG adapter and my phone does not complain! Also it saves me a trip to take them into the house to read them.

Well the corruption is probably still there it's just not complaining about it. If it gets bad enough your OTG adapter will not be able to read the drive.

Edit: I should probably it "file system errors" instead of corruption.

Yeah it said file system errors, but I really don't think there is any significant error. Probably it saw some kind FAT32 version of the UNIX core dump files in there. I never reformat the 2 drives and had been using them non-stop for dashcam since I got them back last years with early access beta.