Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Use Black Zigbee Gateway or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that PTO was granted on my 16.32/3 PW system I was wondering the point of formally connecting the little black Zigbee gateway.

Because I already had a Tesla Model 3 the app was live showing all my testing of the system from day one.

Now that PTO was granted on my 16.32/3 PW system I was wondering the point of formally connecting the little black Zigbee gateway.

Because I already had a Tesla Model 3 the app was live showing all my testing of the system from day one.

if you have powerwalls (which you mention you do), the little black zigbee box is not necessary for production data as you likely know. I have been told by tesla that it also allows connection to the inverters for firmware updates.

If you dont connect it, tesla will eventually nag you about it.

if you have powerwalls (which you mention you do), the little black zigbee box is not necessary for production data as you likely know. I have been told by tesla that it also allows connection to the inverters for firmware updates.

If you dont connect it, tesla will eventually nag you about it.

I got one automated email nag about a month after PTO.

I haven't ran the cable yet, but you can connect directly to the gateway using cat5e/6 and remove the need for the zigbee portion. Sorry for the necro-reply.
For certain (olde?r) SolarEdge inverters, no.

The Zigbee connection is the only way that the inverter can get firmware updates (rare, but possible)
The hard wire ethernet is OK for Tesla monitoring, but it does not provide monitoring data to SolarEdge/Envoy servers, so they will nag Tesla and and Tesla will nag you to connect the Zigbee.
You can't do both at the same time, so it has to be Zigbee.

If the nag/warning comes up in the Tesla app you can ignore it, but at some point that will hide a real issue that you won't be alerted to.

I had this situation, but since I have hard wired monitoring via the Gateway and correctly configured CTs, the data from the SolarEdge isn't important and I just let it do its Zigbee thing.

For certain (olde?r) SolarEdge inverters, no.

The Zigbee connection is the only way that the inverter can get firmware updates (rare, but possible)
The hard wire ethernet is OK for Tesla monitoring, but it does not provide monitoring data to SolarEdge/Envoy servers, so they will nag Tesla and and Tesla will nag you to connect the Zigbee.
You can't do both at the same time, so it has to be Zigbee.

If the nag/warning comes up in the Tesla app you can ignore it, but at some point that will hide a real issue that you won't be alerted to.

I had this situation, but since I have hard wired monitoring via the Gateway and correctly configured CTs, the data from the SolarEdge isn't important and I just let it do its Zigbee thing.
Wait...I thought with solar+powerwalls, if I connected the SolarEdge via Ethernet, I could ditch the zigbee? If I can't why bother connecting via Ethernet at all?

Has anyone has done this successfully?
I'm concerned It may appear to work, but if the inverter breaks (which is quite high probability), Tesla comes to check it, has to ask SolarEdge to diagnose it remotely, and they find there's been no telemetry for months, so the will-I-wont-I-get-a-RMA dance starts.