Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Use brakes to simulate regen, when regen is not at normal levels.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most cars built after September 2014 have autopilot hardware and the Bosch iBoost system. On those cars it is definitely possible to do this with software if Tesla wanted to.

I'm all for it, but there are so many other fixes, features, and bugs I'd rather see them tackle first.

besides, we've had a clutch in cars for nearly a century, and anyone who has driven a clutch and is used to decelerating with the car in gear, is also keenly aware that when "riding" the clutch, deceleration is reduced significantly when taking the foot off that gas, and thus the driver must apply brakes in those instances. Since we don't see constant accidents based on that behavior, I find the OPs request to implement it in this vehicle totally unnecessary. I agreed with the advice that the OP select the LOW option for their cars Regen which should minimize the differences between regen braking and non-regen braking.

I agree with the recommendation of the OP. With autopilot, there is not always an indication to show when regen is limited because the power display is no longer a part of the middle section. I live in a temperate climate so the only time I experience limited regen is when I charge my battery to 100% for a trip. Because this is rare, I'm often startled the first time the car doesn't slow down as I lift off the pedal.

I would vote no. Mixing is way too complicated. Besides, I don't have an auto-pilot capable car, so it's probably not possible anyway. And if bringing back a better power meter for the auto-pilot cars is the solution, I'd vote for that instead.

Reactions: jerry33
I'd like to see this as I'd like this to happen as it also facilitates the inverse (basically, blend in regen with mechanical braking above 60kw).

It would be another step toward the ultimate goal of removing [the mass/volume/complexity/cost of] a mechanical braking system completely. ;)

Yes and no.

No, because the speed at which you slow down varies due to many things: temperature, humidity, surface, surface water, wind, gradient, and any simulation would itself likely have variable effect.

But yes, because what this engineering would really result in would be regen on the brake pedal, and that would allow people to choose between 1-pedal and 2-pedal driving.

We live on a hill and descend immediately from the garage. So far the only time regen has been absent when leaving has been when the battery is fully charged. Of course. How could regen be utilized unless the battery was not completely charged. Another reason to not charge to 100% unless leaving for a trip.

I'd like to see this as I'd like this to happen as it also facilitates the inverse (basically, blend in regen with mechanical braking above 60kw).

It would be another step toward the ultimate goal of removing [the mass/volume/complexity/cost of] a mechanical braking system completely. ;)

I think this is a case of "be careful what you wish for". Blended system are very complex and always have a sub-par braking experience. Tesla's system is clean and simple and provides the best braking experience.

I think this is a case of "be careful what you wish for". Blended system are very complex and always have a sub-par braking experience. Tesla's system is clean and simple and provides the best braking experience.

Fair point, though I have faith that tesla engineering would produce a far superior product than anything currently on the market.

'Best' is only in context of currently available systems.

Agreed. I test drove a Tahoe Hybrid many moons ago, and it's braking/regen was crap. I think what I'm asking for is completely possible, and wouldn't actually impact the regen 'ability' if you want to slow, slower (get it) you just don't let up as much.

Even today it was a guessing game coming up to a corner if I could one pedal my way through or I'd have to switch over. If the car was consistent in deceleration, it would be easier to drive :)