Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used 2014 Tesla Model S P85D vs. Used 2016 Tesla Model S P90DL

Which used CPO car will lose the least amount of money in 2 years if I drove 20,000 miles a year?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been looking for a used Tesla Model S for a long time through Tesla’s CPO program and like anyone else, I want to lose the least amount of money as possible when I go to sell the car.

I plan on owning the car for 2 years and plan on driving 20,000 miles a year.

There are two cars that have the options I need (rear facing seats, autopilot v.1, performance, 21-inch gray wheels):

1) 2016 P90DL - 50,000 miles - priced at $56,800
2) 2014 P85D - 16,000 miles - priced at $56,000

Questions:
1) Which one will I lose the least amount of money on in two years?
2) What do you think both of the cars will be worth in 2 years?

Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated!

I think in the end it comes more to the autopilot on each vehicle. The 2016 is newer and more likely to have the newer auto pilot (vs. the 2014, which may have only the "tech package" or the quasi-set up for real auto-pilot), and once Tesla releases it's updated features, the 2016 is in a better position to accept it from a technological standpoint. Plus, Ludicrious, which is just fun, and who doesn't want that?

However, you'll have put 40k miles on the car (making 90k miles), which may worry more people not familiar with electric vehicles. 100k on a vehicle only 5/6 years old, at the time of sale, would likely mean an ICE car is on it's last little engine legs. If this is their first electric vehicle, they may not understand that it's still GTG.

I think in the end it comes more to the autopilot on each vehicle. The 2016 is newer and more likely to have the newer auto pilot (vs. the 2014, which may have only the "tech package" or the quasi-set up for real auto-pilot), and once Tesla releases it's updated features, the 2016 is in a better position to accept it from a technological standpoint. Plus, Ludicrious, which is just fun, and who doesn't want that?

However, you'll have put 40k miles on the car (making 90k miles), which may worry more people not familiar with electric vehicles. 100k on a vehicle only 5/6 years old, at the time of sale, would likely mean an ICE car is on it's last little engine legs. If this is their first electric vehicle, they may not understand that it's still GTG.
Thanks for your reply. They both have the same version autopilot. Autopilot version 1.

Since we are already seeing P85Ds in the mid 40s, I think in 2 years even a low mile (55k) 2014 would be in the 30s. Now the P90s sure seem to be dropping quick as well. But I don't see them as low as 30 something thousand in 2 years, even with 90k miles. A lot depends on if Tesla is going to do a well received refresh OR if they are going to do something with the battery on newer S and Xs. Bigger or faster charging 2020 models could push 100 prices down, and the rest will follow.

Yes, that's the one. Maybe I'm being too picky? But I've been shopping and examining dozens, the this one seemed to be in the worst condition, amongst the cars I've examined. I think that's why the price is cheap(er), relative to the year and options vs other similar year and optioned ones. Not a bad thing, looks like it's priced accordingly IMHO.

Why? Do you think it will lose less money?
Because of the 90 battery issue where tesla will throttle your supercharging speeds after a certain number of fast charges.
I own a P90D and my battery is throttled and I’m super annoyed by that fact.
Tesla advertised a certain supercharging speed but neglected to warn about this problem.
That issue really soured me on the company