Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used 2016-2017 75D from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone that purchased a 2016-2017 75D within the past few months, successfully get Tesla to uncork your car? I wanted to make sure Tesla is still willing to do this before I make a purchase on the older 75Ds.

Is the car advertised as 0-60 in 4.2? If so, and it's NOT uncorked when you take delivery, then yes - they'll do it but you might have to argue. Take a screenshot of the listing showing the 0-60 time before you buy.

If it's advertised as 0-60 in 5.2, that's what you should expect. You MAY be able to get them to uncork it if the car is physically capable, but not all 75Ds can be uncorked without swapping out hardware. If you happen to buy one that doesn't have the updated pyrofuse and isn't on "the list" then they'll say no, and there's not much you'll be able to do about it.

Is the car advertised as 0-60 in 4.2? If so, and it's NOT uncorked when you take delivery, then yes - they'll do it but you might have to argue. Take a screenshot of the listing showing the 0-60 time before you buy.

If it's advertised as 0-60 in 5.2, that's what you should expect. You MAY be able to get them to uncork it if the car is physically capable, but not all 75Ds can be uncorked without swapping out hardware. If you happen to buy one that doesn't have the updated pyrofuse and isn't on "the list" then they'll say no, and there's not much you'll be able to do about it.

It's advertised as 0-60 in 5.2. Looking through the used inventory, I don't see any 2016s advertised as 4.2 and only a few 2017s. I wonder if they stopped doing the performance boost altogether and your stuck at 5.2 regardless if you purchase one that's eligible or not.

It's advertised as 0-60 in 5.2. Looking through the used inventory, I don't see any 2016s advertised as 4.2 and only a few 2017s. I wonder if they stopped doing the performance boost altogether and your stuck at 5.2 regardless if you purchase one that's eligible or not.

My recent experience is that the configuration shown in Tesla's sales page is not always accurate. Have you been reached out to by a used advisor? They were able to help me with a couple config questions like that. For example, there were some weird combos of seats available, in terms of whether the rear seats were new or old style. My car was shown as having new style rear seats, but had the old ones in reality and on the internal config my advisor could see.

Another example is that my 100D was eligible for the firmware upgrade to 3.6s 0-60, but the online config showed 4.1s.

My recent experience is that the configuration shown in Tesla's sales page is not always accurate. Have you been reached out to by a used advisor? They were able to help me with a couple config questions like that. For example, there were some weird combos of seats available, in terms of whether the rear seats were new or old style. My car was shown as having new style rear seats, but had the old ones in reality and on the internal config my advisor could see.

Nice! Thanks for the tip. I'll try and reach out to a used vehicle adviser.

They used to advertise all of them as 4.2, and had a few people notice after purchase that they weren't uncorked, took them to the service center, and the cars didn't have the hardware necessary to be uncorked. There were a couple owners on here that told their story about fighting with Tesla over it, saying they weren't delivered what was advertised, involving local consumer protection authorities, etc etc. Tesla eventually relented for those couple owners and performed the work necessary to upgrade the battery pyrofuse and uncork them.

Shortly after that they started advertising basically all of their used 75Ds as 0-60 in 5.2. I suspect most/all of them can still be uncorked, particularly the very late 2016s and more or less all of the 2017s, and the service center will do it if the car is eligible. But if you happen to buy one that doesn't have the necessary hardware, you'd be out of luck.

I doubt any used car advisor will be able to give you any particular insight, but you can try.

Any idea which month the pyrofuse was added?

Reactions: fcastrillo86