Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used 2017 90d slow sc speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just purchased a used 90d from dealer. Went to try supercharging and was surprised how slow the rate was. My old 2013 85 seemed to charge faster at a the same SoC. I’m hoping that I didn’t get a bad battery. Is there a way that I can tell?

SoC was 55%
V3 supercharger up to 250kW rate
Plugged in and maxed at 35kW

Thanks!

• Helpful
Reactions: IsthataTesl.a?
12991305-45B0-49C8-A76B-BFCC91359FEB.jpeg

Thanks. Here’s what I’m seeing. Is this something that is going to require service?

View attachment 910930
Thanks. Here’s what I’m seeing. Is this something that is going to require service?
No prob.

Yes. Service. Waiting and continuing to supercharge will stress the battery and potentially lead you to needing an HV pack.

Looks like you’ve got a series of issues that will need to be resolved to get back to max speeds.

Tangentially who common are these rad___shutrnofeedbk and activeAero codes appearing cuz I'm getting those codes too in Service Mode.

Posts 6-18 makes it seem like perhaps these codes are popping up due to software updates intended for newer Model S cars that signaling faults in the classic S cars. I'll have to physically check what's going on when my wife returns with the car. I can confirm both the right and left radiator shutters function when the car wakes.

No prob.

Yes. Service. Waiting and continuing to supercharge will stress the battery and potentially lead you to needing an HV pack.

Looks like you’ve got a series of issues that will need to be resolved to get back to max speeds.
Okay, will stick to L2 charging until I am able to bring it in. Any idea how much this will cost?

We bought it from a ford dealer and they may not have expertise in Tesla but I feel like they should know to check the service alerts as part of the inspection. Feels bad if I have to pay to have this fixed since I just bought it, but not sure if I can get anything from the dealer.

Lots of cars showing some similar errors lately. I’ll ask again, was the battery warm? Like really warm?
I too have a car with these shutter errors, however, the pump errors and battery heater (potentially DCDC acting up) would be my thought towards why it’s pulling chargerate.

Shutters will be more of an issue in summer time.

Is it worth the risk to continue DC charging it, when a pack is anywhere from 6-17k depending on third party(used) or tesla replacing it?

I too have a car with these shutter errors, however, the pump errors and battery heater (potentially DCDC acting up) would be my thought towards why it’s pulling chargerate.
Very well could be the case. But I still think that’s a premature assessment without knowing how the car was preconditioned.
Is it worth the risk to continue DC charging it, when a pack is anywhere from 6-17k depending on third party(used) or tesla replacing it?
Meh, I think the risk is basically zero - if there was real risk of damaging the battery the error would be customer facing. If the car is really throttling charging because of those errors, it’s doing exactly what it needs to to protect things and prevent any ill effects.

OP’s prior posts suggest they’re from California and it’s damn cold in California now (well, “Cali cold”, not like real cold), even in places that aren’t usually cold, so I’m not yet ready to rule out the simplest explanation.

Reactions: brainhouston
Very well could be the case. But I still think that’s a premature assessment without knowing how the car was preconditioned.

Meh, I think the risk is basically zero - if there was real risk of damaging the battery the error would be customer facing. If the car is really throttling charging because of those errors, it’s doing exactly what it needs to to protect things and prevent any ill effects.

OP’s prior posts suggest they’re from California and it’s damn cold in California now (well, “Cali cold”, not like real cold), even in places that aren’t usually cold, so I’m not yet ready to rule out the simplest explanation.
I have a vehicle that pulled chargerate due to non customer facing errors. It ended up being a fuse within the dcdc (ac compressor, hence my first post in this thread- NON Customer facing error), fixed the fuse and obtained a magic chargerate increase. Still have active shutter service mode alerts.

I’m glad you believe the risk to be zero, I’ve purchased a pack replacement and found many interesting errors at the time of replacement. Def not worth stressing a pack when the coolant pumps are reporting issues, how hot does the pack (moduleS) need to get before individual cells report issues and BMS plays it’s magic game with older packs? - I cannot answer that question. Erroring on the side of caution when it comes to major components has never done me dirty. 🤷🏿‍♂️

Reactions: ucmndd
It was sitting maybe 4 or 5 days at the dealer - they were waiting for a tire to replace one that had a screw in it. I picked it up from the dealer, drove 10 min mostly freeway to my sisters place, then another 5 minutes to the sc. Would that be too short to warm up the battery enough?

I also noticed that the regen braking was much lighter than expected, especially when letting off the gas on the freeway off-ramp. Could that be due to the cold battery as well?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
It was sitting maybe 4 or 5 days at the dealer - they were waiting for a tire to replace one that had a screw in it. I picked it up from the dealer, drove 10 min mostly freeway to my sisters place, then another 5 minutes to the sc. Would that be too short to warm up the battery enough?

I also noticed that the regen braking was much lighter than expected, especially when letting off the gas on the freeway off-ramp. Could that be due to the cold battery as well?
Regen is a clue of a cold battery. Could also be artificially restricted due to the coolant pump errors.

High 30kw to 20kw speeds are also a symptom of thermal management problems, ones in which the car artificially reduces its chargerate from. There are other threads in which people have mentioned exactly the same issues. Some in summer, prior to recent updates, and explained its active shutter. Try searching the codes you got and you’ll see some 2020-2021 threads.

Try this, go to your app. Click service-> request service-> what comes up within the outstanding / recent alerts (I forget exact terminology).

Reactions: turtlebud
Regen is a clue of a cold battery. Could also be artificially restricted due to the coolant pump errors.

High 30kw to 20kw speeds are also a symptom of thermal management problems, ones in which the car artificially reduces its chargerate from. There are other threads in which people have mentioned exactly the same issues. Some in summer, prior to recent updates, and explained its active shutter. Try searching the codes you got and you’ll see some 2020-2021 threads.

Try this, go to your app. Click service-> request service-> what comes up within the outstanding / recent alerts (I forget exact terminology).
Yeah, definitely want to at least check with service advisor. Since I just picked up the car today, it’s not under my account yet - put in a request today (and I think the dealer did as well) to transfer to my account.

Plan to just stop by the local service center tomorrow to speak with an advisor and see if they can provide some more insight into this.

I don't know where u live,and weather?? But it seems the new SW wants battery warmed up. My Regen bar appears now early morning temperature. But , if I put heater on 15 minutes before I go out, the pack is warm and the Regen bar is gone. I now get a message when I select a supercharger that battery is being warmed up. Never got that before. 3 years ago my charge rate went to very slow. They tested it over the air. Bad #2 pump. I changed it.
By the way. The refuse to do any testing over the air now. My SC is back logged at least a month for any problem. They want the $180 diagnostic fee.

Yep, way too short of a distance (especially with the weather) to properly warm the battery. I typically see faster Supercharging speeds after a 40 minute or 30 mile drive. I'd start with that and to check if the radiator louvers open and close properly when the car wakes up and/or Supercharges. Then I'd check to see if you're on the latest software update.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Simple experiment - let your SoC get “low”, then preheat the car before heading to the SuC since you state you’re very close to one so navigating there won’t allow enough time for the battery to warm up. Hopefully you get much higher charge rates.