Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used 2017 90d slow sc speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Waiting and continuing to supercharge will stress the battery and potentially lead you to needing an HV pack.
Meh, I think the risk is basically zero - if there was real risk of damaging the battery the error would be customer facing. If the car is really throttling charging because of those errors, it’s doing exactly what it needs to to protect things and prevent any ill effects.
This. BMS is smart enough to reduce charge if its not cooling properly.
Do get it fixed but in the meantime, car will throttle charging n it shouldn't damage anything.

Went into Tesla service to ask them about the alerts and they said those are very concerning. Said that don’t usually see all those alerts unless the car was involved in some accident or the parts were replaced incorrectly and not reported. Basically the car can’t cool the battery so he wouldn’t recommend supercharging and worst case don’t even charge (!!). Told me to bring it back to the dealer.

Trying to take it with a grain of salt. Not sure if he was just trying to alarm me or if this is a serious concern. Need to figure out what to tell the dealer.

The latest software updates have had a lot of under the hood changes rather than bling. They definitely made battery heating more aggressive. I’ve never seen as much much preconditioning or battery heating on my 2016 90D as I do now. That being said cold weather Supercharging is now consistently fast. Also anytime you precondition the battery heater is going to come on pronto.

As mentioned range mode limits battery heating and HVAC. It is intended to be used if you are doing short trips as in running errands.

Attachments

• IMG_0651.jpeg
    IMG_0651.jpeg
    352.2 KB · Views: 70
As mentioned range mode limits battery heating and HVAC. It is intended to be used if you are doing short trips as in running errands.
Uh, well, that's the opposite of what it's intended for, but that has become how a lot of people have decided to use it. When driving locally on short trips, range is not a concern. That option is very old, like before most of the Supercharger network covered everywhere. So it was useful for when people needed all the range they could get--hence the name. The one battery has to be the source for all of the energy, so it would make sure there wasn't too much energy being diverted to heating the cabin and battery so that more of the energy would be available for extending the range on some very long gaps between charging opportunities.

Reactions: Ciaopec
Further on range mode-I have found 2 scenarios where range mode is somewhat useful;
a)You are doing a trip when it is cold (<5o) and part way your car will sit for a long time (hours) before your do a long trip where range might be in short supply. eg An out and back trip to visit a relative where in the summer you use 85%+ of your battery. It is now winter and you don't want to use up a couple of percent of you battery heating it up when your start back home as the battery will be warm before it gets low anyways.
b)If range is critical you may get a couple of percent more range. I find you get more range by slowing 10-15km/h then you ever get from engaging range mode. In range mode your front motor is louder.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H