Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used 90D or New 75D ?

New 75D or used 90D ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
Trying to decide between two options -

I have a X-75D on order that is about to enter production this week (after 2 months wait!). Planning to lease it.

Found someone with exactly the configuration but a 90D and the current owner is looking to do a lease transfer of their fully loaded X-90D that is 30% cheaper than the 75D.

Need help deciding between the Pros / Cons -

New 75D (VIN range: 1035XX)
========================
Pros:
- New with updated hardware (AP2.5, etc.)
- Possibly less issues (FWD, seat issues, general build, etc.)
- No wear/tear
- That brand new car feeling and the delivery experience (our first Tesla)

Cons:
- More expensive than the 90D
- Less range than the 90D
- Full 36 month lease commitment
- Don't know when it will go into production (no specific date yet)

Used 90D (VIN range: 501XX)
=======================
Pros:
- Slightly more range
- Most issues should have been addressed by now
- Cheaper
- Shorter lease commitment
- Available immediately

Cons:
- Older AP hardware? - Seems to be a 2016 build date
- The car is currently in service getting suspension work done because of an error
- Could still have some of the issues that were common in older models
- Would be the first time for us doing the lease transfer
- Will lose the $2500 deposit we paid for the 75D

What would you do?

Thanks!

I would say the biggest risk is that the model X had a lot of issues when it first released, and those issues have taken a while to taper off. I've been in 3 model Xes recently, oldest was built in 2017 and they did seem to iron out a lot of those kinks. However, I still read a lot of stories about people who purchased cars in 2017 with issues. I feel like you have a better chance of having a better built car in 2018. I would personally buy a new 75D, but I also don't need the extra mileage.

I don't travel much, just drive around town and have ample chargers around. For me, the new 75D is exactly what I wanted. It really depends on your situation.

I also have never bought a used car, so it's just not in my blood, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

If you're leasing either way, and if the money makes a difference to you, go with the used 90D as it saves you costs (unless the $2500 deposit you're losing negates it...) and allows you to experience a Tesla for a shorter lease term, possibly allowing you to get into your future Tesla faster. My general philosophy with leases is to always spend as little as you can to get into it, because you'll never own the car at the end. The 90D should still be under warranty as well, so you should be covered for any repairs. Also, as a fellow 2016 90D owner (much earlier 11xxx VIN), I have not had any major issues with my car. The worst thing that happened are both driver and passenger front door sensors malfunctioned (at different times...) and needed to be replaced.

If you're leasing either way, and if the money makes a difference to you, go with the used 90D as it saves you costs (unless the $2500 deposit you're losing negates it...) and allows you to experience a Tesla for a shorter lease term, possibly allowing you to get into your future Tesla faster. My general philosophy with leases is to always spend as little as you can to get into it, because you'll never own the car at the end. The 90D should still be under warranty as well, so you should be covered for any repairs. Also, as a fellow 2016 90D owner (much earlier 11xxx VIN), I have not had any major issues with my car. The worst thing that happened are both driver and passenger front door sensors malfunctioned (at different times...) and needed to be replaced.

Thanks! Annual cash flow and ROI is one of the major considerations in this case, unless if the 90D manages to sit in the shop too frequently. This one has already been in the shop twice and is currently in service because of some suspension issue.

If we are able to go through the 90D, we might even be able to afford the Model 3 reservation that has been sitting in my Tesla account unconfigured. That became available to us 3 days after we committed to the Model X. Go figure.

I am not familiar with when the AP versions changed, etc., so asking the question - 2016 build with VIN 50xxx would be older AP hardware than a 2018 build?

With VIN 50xxx, it should be a mid-2017 build, and has at least AP2.0.
The 2018 build has AP2.5, but you don’t need to worry about that, Elon already said Tesla will upgrade AP2.0 to AP2.5 if needed.

Hello,
Trying to decide between two options -

I have a X-75D on order that is about to enter production this week (after 2 months wait!). Planning to lease it.

Found someone with exactly the configuration but a 90D and the current owner is looking to do a lease transfer of their fully loaded X-90D that is 30% cheaper than the 75D.

Need help deciding between the Pros / Cons -

New 75D (VIN range: 1035XX)
========================
Pros:
- New with updated hardware (AP2.5, etc.)
- Possibly less issues (FWD, seat issues, general build, etc.)
- No wear/tear
- That brand new car feeling and the delivery experience (our first Tesla)

Cons:
- More expensive than the 90D
- Less range than the 90D
- Full 36 month lease commitment
- Don't know when it will go into production (no specific date yet)

Used 90D (VIN range: 501XX)
=======================
Pros:
- Slightly more range
- Most issues should have been addressed by now
- Cheaper
- Shorter lease commitment
- Available immediately

Cons:
- Older AP hardware? - Seems to be a 2016 build date
- The car is currently in service getting suspension work done because of an error
- Could still have some of the issues that were common in older models
- Would be the first time for us doing the lease transfer
- Will lose the $2500 deposit we paid for the 75D

What would you do?

Thanks!
If you don't need the extra range of the 90d go for the brand new 75d with the new faster MCU (media control unit)