Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 Long range or new 2023 standard range?

New 2023 SR or 2019 LR with EAP?

• New 2023

Votes: 47 75.8%
  • Used 2019

Votes: 15 24.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newer 2023 Model 3 standard range.
My 2019 Model 3 Long Ranger isnt fairing to well. I just hit 100,000 miles. Supposedly, the battery chemistry is much better(?) than the 2019 batteries.
In short, my range went from 310 miles to 270 miles which is not bad. However, going "long distance" the reality is that MY car only does about 220 miles max driving from 100 to 0 percent.

Dang!

We did our first out of town drives Saturday and Sunday. Was going to stay the night but went home each day, was a soccer thing up the road. I am about 5 weeks into ownership of a used 2020 M3LR.

Sat - I was going to charge to 100% and then decided 90%. And then changed my mind, and we rolled out of the house at 99%. After the trip this was the data: 176 miles, 46 kWh, 261 Wh/mi. Was 99% down to 24% when I parked.

Sun - Long story, left house at 79%. After trip: 162 miles, 40 kWh, 248 Wh/mi. This was 79% and hit the garage at 20%.

I think that means my full range would have been Sat=234 miles and Sun=274 miles???

Not sure on the math, or why the numbers are so different. Regardless, I am lucky we have superchargers around the area, so if my range anxiety gets the better of me, I can always top off. For my day-to-day, this thing has been fantastic. Beats my 18mpg F-150 and 24mpg 986!

So it would be recommended to fully charge every night, correct? Now I need to go read up on LFPs lol
No.

In terms of longevity, LFP still prefers to sit at 40-70% charged, however, they don't suffer as much degradation as NCA batteries being charged 100%. The MAIN reason why Tesla suggests charging to 100% once a week is because the LFP voltage curve as it discharges is very flat, so the battery management system has a hard time keeping track of the exact battery % and the car could potentially run out of juice when the BMS thinks there's some battery left. By charging to 100% once in a while, it allows the BMS to get an accurate voltage reading and minimizes the chances of running out of battery at lower charge level.

If you want regen braking = don't charge to 100% every night
If you want the keep the car for 20 years = don't charge to 100% every night

If you wanna keep it simple and you just don't care, go ahead and charge to 100%, it's not really going to make a meaningful difference for someone who will keep the car for less than 10 years or 120,000 miles.

for more info if you'd like to read into it

I wouldn't buy an electric car if I couldn't charge it at home or work. We just bought a new '23 standard. Plan to charge at home and it will be my wife's commuter and grocery getter. Don't plan to drive more than 50-100 miles a day at most.

Reactions: XPsionic