Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Gen2 vs used Gen3 Wall Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m looking into buying a wall charger. In my area Miami, theres a bunch that are for sale used. A few $200-250 for a Gen 2 and a few Gen 3s for $300-350.

Is going for Gen 3 totally worth it? If so, why?

Or nahh, Gen 2 is good enough?

Both would use a a 50amp breaker (unless you could tell me why not).

Best regards

Jonny

Gen 3s have the ability to set them so that only a few select Vins use them. They also have access to wifi so they can get firmware updates. Gen 2s are rated for up to 80amp circuits, so running them at your typical 50-60amp setup, they are operating at much lower than max capacity so dont have any issues overheating, etc that I have read about.

The cable for a gen 3 is thinner than the one on the Gen 2. Some see this as a negative, and some see this as a positive.

Gen 2s power share via a wired connection, gen 3s power share via a wifi connection.

Tesla does not have parts for gen 2s anymore for sale that I am aware of, either.

I happen to prefer gen 2s to gen 3s, but thats because i dont need or value the wifi updates on the gen 3, like the fact that the cable is thicker on the gen 2 (thus less heat), and that the gen 2s running on a 60amp circuit for 48amp charging are no where near their max capacity. They also seem to be made better on the inside (gen 2s) vs gen 3s.

I happen to like new products vs used though, so if I was buying right now and didnt have anything, I would likely buy a brand new gen 3. I am not a fan of trying to deal with missing parts / templates etc on used gear.

Last edited:
Gen 3s have the ability to set them so that only a few select Vins use them. They also have access to wifi so they can get firmware updates. Gen 2s are rated for up to 80amp circuits, so running them at your typical 50-60amp setup, they are operating at much lower than max capacity so dont have any issues overheating, etc that I have read about.

The cable for a gen 3 is thinner than the one on the Gen 2. Some see this as a negative, and some see this as a positive.

Gen 2s power share via a wired connection, gen 3s power share via a wifi connection.

Tesla does not have parts for gen 2s anymore for sale that I am aware of, either.

I happen to prefer gen 2s to gen 3s, but thats because i dont need or value the wifi updates on the gen 3, like the fact that the cable is thicker on the gen 2 (thus less heat), and that the gen 2s running on a 60amp circuit for 48amp charging are no where near their max capacity. They also seem to be made better on the inside (gen 2s) vs gen 3s.

I happen to like new products vs used though, so if I was buying right now and didnt have anything, I would likely buy a brand new gen 3. I am not a fan of trying to deal with missing parts / templates etc on used gear.
Adding one point in the Gen2's favor:
It uses physical switches to limit current on the charging circuit, which can't be accidentally reset via firmware updates, etc.

Another Gen2 vs Gen3 consideration, if you ever want to do power sharing, all of the EVSEs have to be the same type. All Gen2s or all Gen3s. Also, the Gen3 power sharing logic is more flexible, allowing the power budget to be different from charging amperage of the individual units, and allowing the charging amperage of the units to be different. So, you could share 80a among a 48a and two 40a Gen3 connectors, for example.

Last edited: