Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model S vs New Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it looks like about the best I could afford is a Model 3 SR+, plain black no autopilot or anything, unless I win the lottery or something. I would have liked to have been able to get the long range with autopliot but that's likely just going to be too expensive for me.

Looking around, it seems like for a similar price of a new Model 3, I can get a used Model S, like this one for example
85 kWh Model S 5YJSA1H19EFP64978 | Tesla

Seems like I will get a lot more car for the money. However, I have never bought a used car before, I alway buy new, I always feel like I'd be buying someone else's problem. Assuming it might be different with Tesla where these would have been trade ins from people buying newer ones, so they might not be too bad? Plus I'm guessing an S will feel more upscale and also has free supercharging and more (though I expect to be doing almost all of my charging at home).

Does anyone know if you can still get the tax credits if you buy used? Do you still get all the same other benefits like internet and over the air updates and service that comes to you, etc?

A couple of answers for you.

1) No tax credit... the credit has already been claimed by the original owner.

2) Yes, you still get the benefits that came with the car (Internet/super charging, OTA)

I'm not sure which Autopilot features (current and forthcoming) will be compatible with a 2014 model. That would best be answered by Tesla.

So it looks like about the best I could afford is a Model 3 SR+, plain black no autopilot or anything, unless I win the lottery or something. I would have liked to have been able to get the long range with autopliot but that's likely just going to be too expensive for me.

Looking around, it seems like for a similar price of a new Model 3, I can get a used Model S, like this one for example

Seems like I will get a lot more car for the money. However, I have never bought a used car before, I alway buy new, I always feel like I'd be buying someone else's problem. Assuming it might be different with Tesla where these would have been trade ins from people buying newer ones, so they might not be too bad? Plus I'm guessing an S will feel more upscale and also has free supercharging and more (though I expect to be doing almost all of my charging at home).

Does anyone know if you can still get the tax credits if you buy used? Do you still get all the same other benefits like internet and over the air updates and service that comes to you, etc?
No tax credits when you buy uesed. THe range on that 85 is going to be slightly less than the SR+ due to the model 3 being more efficent. Benefit of the S is you get AP1 which is great and unlimed supercharging. That S comes with a used warranty which is good as well but the battery warranty will be up in late 2022. Both cars have pros and cons as I have had both. Personally you need to decide if you want bigger space, power liftgate, passive entry and AP. I think I would go with the Model S unless you can afford getting AP on the 3.

You might be able to get in more car than you think. Make a phone call to Tesla sales. You can probably get a significant discount on an inventory model. A 15 minute call got me a $5400 discount on a long range AWD December build with 35 miles.

You should drive both before deciding. I got a CPO Model S 6 months before Model 3 came out (I had a day-zero reservation), for the same net price, thinking it was "more car for the money". Boy was I wrong. As soon as the Model 3 video reviews hit, I could see it was a better designed car, and a better fit for our preferences. Sold the S, got the 3, never looked back. I miss the hatchback of the S (and associated larger cargo volume), and that's it. Everything else is better.

Of course there are people who will reply to this and say I'm crazy, the S is better. Sure, it's personal preference. So go figure out your preference :).

• Informative
Reactions: Mod3forMe
I started buying used cars years ago and what I found out is luxury cars are normally well taken care of. The maintenance is done, warranty issues are resolved. Now there is always a buyer beware aspect and I did my due diligence buying a used 2013 S60. So far I've been pretty satisfied with my purchase.

Thanks for all the info .. missed that review before.

I'll test drive both if I can .. but I think now I'm probably better off sticking with the M3, I really need that tax credit to make it affordable for me. if I can swing it I might try and add normal autopilot, but don't think I could afford self drive and that also feels gimmicky to me anyway. I not so lazy that I need my car to come and get me in a parking lot. Plus it looks like I could walk to it faster than it could drive itself to me :) will have to pick me up at KITT speeds and turbo boost over other cars for it to be worth it.

You should drive both before deciding. I got a CPO Model S 6 months before Model 3 came out (I had a day-zero reservation), for the same net price, thinking it was "more car for the money". Boy was I wrong. As soon as the Model 3 video reviews hit, I could see it was a better designed car, and a better fit for our preferences. Sold the S, got the 3, never looked back. I miss the hatchback of the S (and associated larger cargo volume), and that's it. Everything else is better.

Of course there are people who will reply to this and say I'm crazy, the S is better. Sure, it's personal preference. So go figure out your preference :).
I was sold on a Model S and was ready to pull the trigger Oct 2018. I decided to test drive the Model 3 basically right before I was going to buy an S and within 5 min of the drive I knew the Model 3 was for me. It was:
  • more comfortable
  • better vision out the windows
  • more nimble
  • felt faster
  • more modern interior
  • better stereo
  • cheaper car
  • cheaper insurance
  • better battery & drivetrain
The S is great, the 3 is better for me.

Reactions: iluvmacs
I had to get a nick fixed on the Model 3 and received a new Tesla Model S loaner. The interior on 3 I like. Cup holders bad and acceleration on the S was too wild for my liking kept dumping keys out of the poorly designed storage bin. S plus is indeed the hatchback feature. The S didn't have autopilot features enabled and missed that sorely. Was happy to get the 3 back. Dollar for dollar couldn't imagine buying a S new. If you can get over the idea of driving a used car, after all the car you are driving now is a used car, the S is a better buy for the price listed. I plan to get a used Model X to replace the ICE in a few years.

Well I had purchased a used S 70 with AP1 because I was worried about the long wait for the 3 and found the S to be a wonderful car. The main drawback I had was that it was very hard to fit in my small two car garage next to my wife's car (Prius). I was on the list for a 3 and went ahead and purchased a LR RWD as soon as I was able in early 2018. I now had two Tesla's and one had to go. I sold the S and while I believe it is a much better looking car than the 3 I certainly do not regret the purchase. I love my 3. It is smaller and rides less like a boat and more like a sports car. Just one man's opinion!

Well I had purchased a used S 70 with AP1 because I was worried about the long wait for the 3 and found the S to be a wonderful car. The main drawback I had was that it was very hard to fit in my small two car garage next to my wife's car (Prius). I was on the list for a 3 and went ahead and purchased a LR RWD as soon as I was able in early 2018. I now had two Tesla's and one had to go. I sold the S and while I believe it is a much better looking car than the 3 I certainly do not regret the purchase. I love my 3. It is smaller and rides less like a boat and more like a sports car. Just one man's opinion!
Yes that reminds me that when I test drove the Model 3 I remember thinking "this thing handles like a Porsche". I finally got my Porsche

Reactions: nativespinner
I bought an S85 Oct 2017, back when Tesla was still doing full refurbishment before delivery. They don't do that now, so you may end up with a car with some interior and exterior blemishes.

Model S was my first EV experience. It was f**king amazing. Loved the car. It became my wife's daily driver and I longed to get a chance to drive it on weekends and such. Made me decide to get a Model 3 for myself (Mar 31, 2016 online reservation holder).

Never got to test drive Model 3 until the day the car was delivered to me. I was wow'd all over again. Didn't think anything could 1-up that experience from ICE to S. But I felt it again from S to 3.

If you like driving, the 3 is so much more responsive and nimble.

Still, the S is nice. Free supercharging, more comfy for road trips, accommodates more stuff. If I had to pick only one, I'd pick the 3.

I have both a Model S and a Model 3. I love them both for different reasons.

Model 3 Pros: Feels sportier even though it is slower, smaller and easier to maneuver in tight city areas, amazing visibility, simple interface, clean interior, and enough cargo space for daily needs.

Model S Pros: Air suspension offers great ride, roomier interior, wicked quick (not the one you found though), more traditional interior, lots of cargo room.

Since the tax credit is a factor for you that makes your decision easier.

However, that Model S you found has nice features. Your location shows you are in Philadelphia. The Model S you found has the subzero winter package. You may find that a must.

I also had a Model S (100D) as a loaner for 2 weeks when my P3D was getting paint defects corrected. I could definitely tell the Model S was bigger in size.... I like the size of the Model 3 better, but I'm also someone who likes and owns/owned 2 seaters.

I thought the Model S had a better ride and the Model 3 had better handling. As others have mentioned, test driving both will help with your decision.

I was in the same position as you a few weeks back. I went ahead and got the MS, because (like you) my decision criteria led me to realize that the MS was a better value for me. To your questions:

Nobody can guarantee the car will be issue free if you're buying used. Hell, I'd even go as far to say that no one can guarantee this even if you're buying new. If you go for the used MS, my advice would be to inspect the pictures very carefully and be even more careful inspecting the car before you take delivery. If any issues pop out to you, get resolution on them before taking delivery. If it's something that can't be captured on the due bill, refuse delivery until it's fixed.

Fwiw, I had minor issues when I took delivery, but they got sorted out. Others have run into issues that caused them to refuse delivery. You can search around on this forums for plenty of opinions (good and bad) if you care to.

Regarding tax credits, you definitely don't get any at the federal level, but your state may offer some. Regarding internet and updates, you get them....though a used MS will not get all the feature updates the newer cars get due to the older hardware. This mostly impacts Autopilot, so if that's important to you then you may want to hold out for a M3.

For me, what nudged me toward the used MS is the following:

-Free supercharger for life.
-More interior space (though not by much).
-Better interior (IMO).
-More functional trunk (hatchback). I absolutely HATE the M3's trunk.
-HUD. Not quite ready to go MCU only yet.
-The car "only" having AP1 wasn't a deal breaker for me, and this became clearer the more I used it. Once you start using it you quickly realize the limitations of autopilot, and the gap between AP1 and AP2 isn't sufficient enough to justify the price (again, IMO). Sure, AP3 is supposed to change the game....whenever the hardware is released and whenever the software is ready, but (IMO, IMO, IMO) that's years away. By which point I'll be considering another car anyway.

If you have any other questions, let me know and I'm happy to answer best I can.