Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking to purchase a Model S and I am wondering what year I should be looking at. From what I read a lot of issues were fixed in the 2016 or newer model. Looking for some feedback and suggestions and what year to purchase.

Mcu2 is overrated in my books. Yes it's slower, yes there are issues with its memory, but overall great.

With 16 or early 17 you might still get free Supercharging if that makes sense for you (but don't overestimate it, really only useful on long trips), leather instead of plastic seating and a sunroof that got rarer in newer builds. But of course if you can swing it go for a 100 battery pack, makes all the difference to earlier builds.

• Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka
too generic of a post, but we can try to help
Is Full Self Driving a must for you?
Is there a max # of miles you want the car to have?

I am looking to purchase a Model S and I am wondering what year I should be looking at. From what I read a lot of issues were fixed in the 2016 or newer model. Looking for some feedback and suggestions and what year to purchase.

Ready, set GO!

2018 Model S | Tesla

2017 Model S | Tesla

2017 Model S | Tesla

Reactions: Indecisive
I think it will be important to know what you value the most. I shelled out more for my car because it was faster and had great suspension, but I could have gotten a newer car with potentially greater range for the same money. There is no "slow" MS, but some are less fast than others. :)

I have MCU1 and it is fine for my uses, as is AP1. For some it is completely unacceptable and they pay the premium for the faster computer, sentry mode, different headlights/bumper, wheels, etc.

Yes, too vague of a question

Research what has changed over the years
Model S - Options by Year - Tesla Motors Club Wiki

...and find out what is important to you.

I was in the $40,000 to $50,000 price range for 1-1/2 years, but I just picked up a 2013 MS with 100,000 miles on it for $26,000. I "saved" at least $15,000 off of my budget.

It has the older style leather seats, premium sound, free supercharging, adjustable suspension, tech package, no autopilot at all, one more year left on factory "motor and battery" warranty, and glass roof.

I mention these options as clues to you, so you can try to narrow down what is important to you.

• Informative
Reactions: Hblick48