Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model X buying help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking to make the switch from my BMW X5 to the world of Tesla; specifically a used Model X. My budget only allows $70K or so. Can some members please chime in to guide my purchase such as things to look for, maintenance issues etc? My only criteria will be the updated AP 2. I appreciate your expertise.

Jordan

I was looking for used as well using TRED and CarGuru's to search for a used X. You may be able to find a deal but make sure it is not a LEMON LAW buyback even with promises it was fixed to manufacturer specifications. Hopefully the seller has posted pics of the screens so you can verify what options it does have. Also the lower the miles the more factory warranty there is. If you can find a car with around 30K miles you'll still have one full year of factory warranty in play. Unlike ICE cars, there are not really any maintenance issues. If you see a yellow band around the big screen, don't fret that is a known issue. A 100D will give you the most range at 295 maximum about 270 realistic the 90D was popular and realistic range is about 250 miles. If your buying from a private seller, find out how often they charge to 100 percent. If it was frequently then slowly step away as going to that level repeatedly is not good for battery longevity. A well cared for battery will last a long time. Poke around the forums to see what folks are grumbling about. Take your time and I hope you find a killer deal.

Here are things to consider ..ap2.5, 100 battery , mcu2 ..not sure if all can get into that price point ..but with the recent v10 updates the old mcu shows its age ..

Here are my tips for buying a used Model X:

1. Figure out what features are important to you. SubZ package? Premium audio? Range?
2. Are you wanting to buy from a third party vs Tesla? Buying directly from Tesla usually means a better warranty
3. Most importantly, DO YOUR RESEARCH. Tesla has dropped the prices a few times in the last year and this is impacting the used car markets. There are a lot of used Model X's out there that are priced WAY TO HIGH because the used market(kelly blue book values, nadaguides) have NOT adjusted prices down for the 16 and 17 model years yet. We looked at buying a used long range and found out pretty quickly that dealers are trying to offload inventory with 20-30k miles, and not long range versions in the 70-80k range. Guess what? You can buy a brand new raven loaded for about 86 in the five seat configuration. I posted a thread about this a few months ago when we were looking and included a kelly blue book quote on a used X.

Be really careful. Better yet, just wait six months for the market adjustments to occur. Here is a perfect example of what I am talking about:

2016 Model X | Tesla

This used Model X is three model years old, has 35 thousand miles and they want 83k! Absolutely INSANE!

Here is a 19 that is cheaper than the 16!

2019 Model X | Tesla

Last edited:
Here are my tips for buying a used Model X:

1. Figure out what features are important to you. SubZ package? Premium audio? Range?
2. Are you wanting to buy from a third party vs Tesla? Buying directly from Tesla usually means a better warranty
3. Most importantly, DO YOUR RESEARCH. Tesla has dropped the prices a few times in the last year and this is impacting the used car markets. There are a lot of used Model X's out there that are priced WAY TO HIGH because the used market(kelly blue book values, nadaguides) have NOT adjusted prices down for the 16 and 17 model years yet. We looked at buying a used long range and found out pretty quickly that dealers are trying to offload inventory with 20-30k miles, and not long range versions in the 70-80k range. Guess what? You can buy a brand new raven loaded for about 86 in the five seat configuration. I posted a thread about this a few months ago when we were looking and included a kelly blue book quote on a used X.

Be really careful. Better yet, just wait six months for the market adjustments to occur. Here is a perfect example of what I am talking about:

2016 Model X | Tesla

This used Model X is three model years old, has 35 thousand miles and they want 83k! Absolutely INSANE!

Here is a 19 that is cheaper than the 16!

2019 Model X | Tesla
You bring up excellent points. The market does seem strange given the decreased cost of ownership for buying a new Model X. I may wait for a few months and then see where things are at. Maybe we go the new car route; warranty would be appealing.

I just purchased a 2016 P90DL used CPO from Tesla and it was my worst car buying experience I ever had in my life. It's a nightmare to deal with Tesla that I was in rush picking the car on the delivery date so I missed lots of small details and Tesla refused to fix most of them. Even buying a used car from a small private local shop would have better service than Tesla, that's my comment.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
I just purchased a 2016 P90DL used CPO from Tesla and it was my worst car buying experience I ever had in my life. It's a nightmare to deal with Tesla that I was in rush picking the car on the delivery date so I missed lots of small details and Tesla refused to fix most of them. Even buying a used car from a small private local shop would have better service than Tesla, that's my comment.

I had a similarly bad experience buying from Tesla, but at the same time the value was unbeatable (price for given model/year/mileage + 4 year warranty). So, even though it was painful, I would not recommend buying a used Tesla anywhere other than Tesla.com

Buying used one not from Tesla might still able to get free supercharging

For most people, free supercharging is worth MUCH less than the cost of a 4 year extended warranty. Like, orders of magnitude less.

There are going to be outliers where people drive a huge amount of miles per year and never charge at home, and in that case the warranty probably isn't a big deal either since they put so many miles on that the warranty probably only lasts 1-2 years.

So I agree- for really high mileage drivers who either live near an SC or can't charge at home, the FUSC probably trumps the warranty. But they would have to use SC most of the time to come out ahead.

I had a similarly bad experience buying from Tesla, but at the same time the value was unbeatable (price for given model/year/mileage + 4 year warranty). So, even though it was painful, I would not recommend buying a used Tesla anywhere other than Tesla.com

Exactly this experience, and what the previous buyer said, buying CPO from Telsa was a terrible experience. they don't do anything to do the car - the pictures they show you are not complete. Records showed after the fact that the car had not been serviced in 3 years - info they refused to give me until i came to pick up the car. My car had not even been vacuumed from the previous owner
Like the previous poster, I missed a lot of small things but was rushed - and had take 3 days off work to pick it up from out of state etc. In hindsight, I should have walked away

BUT I got the warranty. And Tesla has been decent in fixing most issues.
Still have the shudder. My vented seats stopped working and Tesla has no idea how to fix it as they stopped making it.

My more than 2 cents:
Avoid the earlier years for the MX - lots of issues.
Get the highest range you can - the MX is heavy and the range that Tesla states is a joke. I thought my battery was dying but turns out the range is based on driving at 50 mph, with no heating / aircon on. It's ridiculous

If you can afford it, get (P)90/100D. Definitely not 75D. Free supercharging is not important (unless you drive a lot on them), I'd say not worth more than $1000 in purchase price of the car for sure. MCU2 is great, but 2016 models without it are a lot cheaper... I'd say AP1 is just fine, as long as you are getting a good discount vs AP2. But most important is warranty IMO.