Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used S85's starting to drop in to the mid $20Ks....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
Clean titles, 100% seller feedback, and not really high mileage. If you're willing to go S60, higher mileage, or salvage title, there are many more with only one of these attributes for high teens to low 20s.

2012 Tesla Model S | eBay
2012 Tesla Model S | eBay

I'm seriously thinking about a used 60 or something like that for my daughter's first car next year if prices keep dropping:

2013 Tesla Model S | eBay

But at $20k used, who cares if it hits things?

I’d never give a teenager a brand new car, but that’s just me.

Speed limiter, chill mode, gps.

Giving my youngins Pokémon cards, tons of peopa pig/paw patrol toys isn’t spoiling them:

It’s control devices that ensure compliance when “listening ears” fail to function.

• Funny
Reactions: sorka
What are the value of "classic" Model S now? Considering the Tesla has been seeling CPO's with autopilot for 32-36k with 80,000 miles or less. It seems to me that prices that private sellers and dealers are asking are unrealistic considering that "base" Model 3 is still available.

True, but the Standard plus is available and represents the best value of any new or used Tesla in the market.
Then say $38,700 Model 3 (cheapest I was able to price, $37.5+$1,200doc fee), not $35K. If you can pick up a used S for half that price, pay less insurance, less interest, and get free supercharging. Then there is depreciation, which will be very significantly higher on a new Standard Plus M3 vs. a used S. I think if you look at per month driving cost for say next 2 years, a $20K Model S will probably beat a Model 3.

Of course value is always relative "to whom", so even if you can drive a used S cheaper per month than a new Model 3, to some people, it may not be worth it. On the flip side, to some people it's worth paying more than twice for a new Model S over a new Model 3, so to them, that is worth the money.

Reactions: bmah
Then say $38,700 Model 3 (cheapest I was able to price, $37.5+$1,200doc fee), not $35K. If you can pick up a used S for half that price, pay less insurance, less interest, and get free supercharging. Then there is depreciation, which will be very significantly higher on a new Standard Plus M3 vs. a used S. I think if you look at per month driving cost for say next 2 years, a $20K Model S will probably beat a Model 3.

Of course value is always relative "to whom", so even if you can drive a used S cheaper per month than a new Model 3, to some people, it may not be worth it. On the flip side, to some people it's worth paying more than twice for a new Model S over a new Model 3, so to them, that is worth the money.
Of course value is always subjective. But, we must consider what people are asking for use Tesla's on craigslist and autotrader. Most people are pricing their "classic" Tesla's for 30k with about 100,000 miles and some are asking 25,000 for cars in poor condition or with high mileage. The cheapest clean Tesla i've ever seen has for 22k with 180,000 miles. Obviously these cars not worth that amount, but the market has not adjusted to this fact. We must then consider that these cars are 6 years old and soon they will be out of warranty and are objectively becoming obsolete. Not to mention that you can still get about 6,000 dollars in cali off the price on a new Model 3. Until those early cars start selling below 20,000 dollars you really are better off getting a new Model 3.

Until those early cars start selling below 20,000 dollars you really are better off getting a new Model 3.
I think this was OP's point, by next year they will slide down to $20K. I'm considering a similar scenario for my son next year too. Not going for a new M3 as his first car, it will either be a used MS, used M3, or some other car (a used Bolt maybe?).

I think this was OP's point, by next year they will slide down to $20K. I'm considering a similar scenario for my son next year too. Not going for a new M3 as his first car, it will either be a used MS, used M3, or some other car (a used Bolt maybe?).
You know the crazy thing is that Tesla has in the past sold Model S with much lower miles for much less then many of these listings. I watched rich's rebuild's video about the issues with the CPO program, but even so I can't imagine the cars listed being in any better shape.

Already in salvage auctions the prices of wrecked Model 3 have plummeted due to the the Model 3 saturating the salvage market and lack of demand for parts. It's also having a effect on the prices of wrecked Model S, although prices remain much to high with "classic" models.

Attachments

• tesla CPO prices.jpg
    tesla CPO prices.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 72
Of course the continuing availability of the M3 is helping drive down pricing of the S. I would buy a used S, but the cheapest ones have too little range, and/or no Autopilot. Autopilot is the killer app for me, so I am happy with my 3. When prices drop, I might get a used S for my wife, who has no use for Autopilot.

You know the crazy thing is that Tesla has in the past sold Model S with much lower miles for much less then many of these listings. I watched rich's rebuild's video about the issues with the CPO program, but even so I can't imagine the cars listed being in any better shape.

Already in salvage auctions the prices of wrecked Model 3 have plummeted due to the the Model 3 saturating the salvage market and lack of demand for parts. It's also having a effect on the prices of wrecked Model S, although prices remain much to high with "classic" models.
Model S is also mostly aluminium, so it will hold up longer too without rusting. For someone who can swap out their own parts with parts from ebay, an older Model S may actually be an economical car to keep (and charge for free). How long before we see a bunch of Model S's show up on Uber/Lyft, serviced by some enterprising self-taught mechanic? ;)

Of course the continuing availability of the M3 is helping drive down pricing of the S. I would buy a used S, but the cheapest ones have too little range, and/or no Autopilot. Autopilot is the killer app for me, so I am happy with my 3. When prices drop, I might get a used S for my wife, who has no use for Autopilot.
I care for my son too much to have him use auto-pilot on his first car. Tesla takes too many gambles with their software updates. The better it gets, the more you intuitively trust it, and then bam, accident. I have it, rarely use it. My wife has it, doesn't use it (she already lost a side mirror due to software update changing the low speed car behavior between updates). I guess good for me for when I shop for his car - more choices, lower prices. ;)