Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used X Plaid or New Model X LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dilemma is very simple. Used X plaid 2022 for 68k with about 35k miles or New XLR for $72k after tax credit? I do want the plaid for its speed and I’ll be able to get the color combo I want. However manufacturer warranty will run out on plaid in 15k miles/2 years. New XLR would have warranty and it wouldn’t be abused like I’m thinking the plaid would.

Thoughts?

Used X plaid 2022 for 68k with about 35k miles

You should check out this thread with the exact same Dilemma.

I would go for the 2022 Plaid just for the fact that it [still] has working ultrasonic sensors, so the automatic front doors work as they were originally designed for, but most importantly, the ability to choose via a software setting in the Controls menu between USS parking with the distance measurements or the ridiculous High Fidelity Park Assist 🤦‍♂️... plus all the benefits of having a Plaid tri-motor modern marvel.

You could even get the new yoke/steering wheel with the center horn and new materials and also do a fun weekend project and get the new Matrix headlights from eBay, and retrofit them with the required harness adapter and Gateway.config file change, so you'll have the best of [most] worlds, except for a few gone years of warranty...

You should check out this thread with the exact same Dilemma.

I would go for the 2022 Plaid just for the fact that it [still] has working ultrasonic sensors, so the automatic front doors work as they were originally designed for, but most importantly, the ability to choose via a software setting in the Controls menu between USS parking with the distance measurements or the ridiculous High Fidelity Park Assist 🤦‍♂️... plus all the benefits of having a Plaid tri-motor modern marvel.

You could even get the new yoke/steering wheel with the center horn and new materials and also do a fun weekend project and get the new Matrix headlights from eBay, and retrofit them with the required harness adapter and Gateway.config file change, so you'll have the best of [most] worlds, except for a few gone years of warranty...
I actually commented on this thread back in March. The difference was you were looking for a new plaid. I personally was only thinking new LR lol If it's new plaid vs used plaid I would always go used plaid

I recently sold my unicorn 2017 X P100D and went through this dilemma.
A. used plaid $70-80k
B. New long range $72k ish
C. New MYP with 1% interest

I quickly eliminated “C” because I’ve been in a x for 4 years and did not want to give up the space.

I wanted to order new but did not like the ultra red.

I was able to find a used plaid in multi coat red (which I prefer).
My family is used to the 6 seater configuration. I figured you can also get extended warranty for a few more grand.

Plus the resell value would be a lot better on the plaid.

I recently sold my unicorn 2017 X P100D and went through this dilemma.
A. used plaid $70-80k
B. New long range $72k ish
C. New MYP with 1% interest

I quickly eliminated “C” because I’ve been in a x for 4 years and did not want to give up the space.

I wanted to order new but did not like the ultra red.

I was able to find a used plaid in multi coat red (which I prefer).
My family is used to the 6 seater configuration. I figured you can also get extended warranty for a few more grand.

Plus the resell value would be a lot better on the plaid.

First I've heard of someone preferring Red MC over UR. multicoat was an oh hell no here.

Reactions: Jayskywalker21
First I've heard of someone preferring Red MC over UR. multicoat was an oh hell no here.
I always thought the MC has more pop and looked very nice in the sun.

Still a shame that the 2018 has the summon party trick and our 2023 doesn't.

1717417305935.png

Last edited:
Plaid / Long Range. Always the question. The Plaid does have more miles. I believe miles are different on EV over ICE that miles don't equate to more maintained. Ensure Tires look good on the Plaid and you don't see any inner wear on the rear. Can't confirm if the 12V battery is Lead acid or lithium ion. If lead acid, you may be in need of a change out. Our 2018 only lasted 2 years each time.
One think that's never expressed between P or LR is the passing performance while on the highway. Here in Texas on the Formula One interstate system, when you need to get around the day dreamers, the Plaid gives you at speed, great pulling power to get around traffic.
1 more vote for the Plaid.

One think that's never expressed between P or LR is the passing performance while on the highway. Here in Texas on the Formula One interstate system, when you need to get around the day dreamers, the Plaid gives you at speed, great pulling power to get around traffic.
1 more vote for the Plaid.

When passing on the highway, whether you have 500, 600, 800, or 1,020 HP, it's going to get the job done pretty quick. You might notice a little difference compared to the lithium iron phosphate batteries for model s3/Y, but no Tesla is a dog in the performance category.

Dilemma is very simple. Used X plaid 2022 for 68k with about 35k miles or New XLR for $72k after tax credit? I do want the plaid for its speed and I’ll be able to get the color combo I want. However manufacturer warranty will run out on plaid in 15k miles/2 years. New XLR would have warranty and it wouldn’t be abused like I’m thinking the plaid would.

Thoughts?
I just went through this. I found a 2023 Plaid with 17k miles for about $77k and it had FSD paid for white exterior and cream interior. My main decision was the seats. I wanted a 6 seater since i have two younger kids and will haul 6 people on occasion. A 5 seater X didnt feel like much of an upgrade compared to my previous YP. I think seat configuration is probably the most important decision here. If you are fine with 5 seats I would consider a YP and save a significant amount of money.

If you spend a little more and search more you can find a newer car with less miles in the mid $70's so you get a longer warranty. I just passed on one in Ohio. 2023 Plaid with 25k miles for $75k and it had enhanced autopilot. That one just sold. White ext and cream interior.

Drag strip mode on a Plaid is orgasmic. Its also insane how fast this is off a roll. The YP from a 40 roll is quick but loses power very quickly. The plaid does not slow down. I had a Cayenne GTS a couple car lengths behind me mash the gas and got next to me before I hit the throttle. He coudnt reach my front bumper before I put car lengths on him in a matter of seconds.

Tesla is replacing my yoke with a round wheel for free on Friday and I bought matrix lights and a harness for about $1,000 so my car will now have all the same updates as new basically. No regrets on the plaid but the YP is a great car if 5 seats are okay with you.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
Plaid is appealing; however, it likely experiences greater tire wear compared to the LR version. Vehicle Virgins reviewed the Plaid model, noting that tires may need replacement nearly every 10,000 miles, despite a 50k mile tread wear rating. Additionally, it's been mentioned that battery degradation is more pronounced in the Plaid than in the LR model.

Plaid is appealing; however, it likely experiences greater tire wear compared to the LR version. Vehicle Virgins reviewed the Plaid model, noting that tires may need replacement nearly every 10,000 miles, despite a 50k mile tread wear rating. Additionally, it's been mentioned that battery degradation is more pronounced in the Plaid than in the LR model.
The Plaid I bought had 17k miles with original tires and they are around 5/32-6/32. It really depends how its driven. With that being said it's a $70k vehicle so the difference in miles on tires really doesnt matter all that much for most owners. I did just buy a set of 4 Hankook Ventus ion for $640 shipped from ebay from priority tire so not that expensive to change them out and these tires are rated for a lot more miles and should be quieter.

Reactions: Jersey_guy_202
The Plaid I bought had 17k miles with original tires and they are around 5/32-6/32. It really depends how its driven. With that being said it's a $70k vehicle so the difference in miles on tires really doesnt matter all that much for most owners. I did just buy a set of 4 Hankook Ventus ion for $640 shipped from ebay from priority tire so not that expensive to change them out and these tires are rated for a lot more miles and should be quieter.
Honestly, I've owned several EVs, and even the Volt, which accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in 8 seconds, doesn't reach 20,000 miles on tires rated for 50,000 miles. Additionally, many people purchasing a $70k vehicle don't anticipate frequent tire replacements. I believe the cost isn't the issue.

I’m going to follow you. Lol. I purchased almost identical MXP but 2022 with FSD, 22” upgrade and full wrap done, around 15k miles. It’s still on original Conti and with 6/32 so still got some way to go. I’m interested in Honkook too. Please update back when you get those on. Thanks!

Reactions: towndrunk