Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using Apple Watch to unlock car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this possible yet? If not I think it would be better for me than using my phone as there's a number of times I've left my phone upstair (which also contains the card). Is there any reason why this wouldn't be possible?

Considering how the PHONE, not the WATCH is paired with the car, I'm not confident that you can pull that off.

I can't count how many times I've had to wait for my phone to connect (remotely) to my car to unlock it. I suspect if your watch had to connect to your phone and then the phone had to unlock, it could be a long wait, up to a minute or more.

Also, since it's not legal to drive without an drivers license, leaving the key card in your wallet takes care of both those requirements.

D1060D72-BE99-4117-8201-C3D44702E274.png
Third party iOS apps have Watch OS apps that allow you to do this. It’s not paired to the car like the phone is so you have to press the unlock button on the watch. Stats for Tesla and Remote for Tesla. Have watch apps.

Here is a question, but a variation on the theme, of Apple Watch to open. On a couple of occasions I have parked in a large public lot and absentmindedly left my LR RWD with my iPhone inside! You can imagine how I had that “oh no” feeling when later I looked for my iPhone and remembered that I left it in the car and scurried to back to the parking lot. Fortunately in both occasions the car and the phone were still there. But it had me thinking that in that situation, wouldn’t it be great if the phone and car were smart enough to know that I was gone and to lock the car? The question becomes to how do I unlock the car with the phone inside. Well, it would be nice if I could unlock the car with my Apple Watch. It seems that from the comments above using an Apply Watch app like Stats would do that. Now all I need to figure out is how to get the phone/car to lock when I mindlessly leave them together vulnerable to theft in a parking lot. Any ideas?

Well, actually, yes, if that is the only alternative. I’d rather be locked out of my car (and without my mobile phone) as opposed to having both stolen. At least I’d know where they were and could get appropriate, though inconvenient help to get back inside. I don’t know about you, but I always keep a key card in my wallet just in case I am without my phone. If I am without my wallet, I have the extra one securely at home. The point of the post was to suggest that since the car and phone “talk” to one another, maybe, just maybe, they could secure the car when I screw up and leave them both exposed to theft. On the other hand maybe I should be wary of my M3 and iPhone having too much AI where, in cahoots, they could prefer an owner more to their liking. :)

Reactions: PrGrPa
if you are using phone as key, treat it as key.
no car will lock automatically when you leave the key in the car.
if it did, >90% owners will rebel.
as is currently, maybe only 5% wish the car would lock with the phone inside.

Yeah...I wouldn't want the car to automatically lock the phone in the car.

But in any case, at least with Android, this is possible to set up (posting here in case there's an equivalent app for iPhones that could do the same). I could program it using Tasker app so that when the phone loses the bluetooth connection with my watch, it would trigger a command to lock the car using the Tasker Tesla plugin. If I do end up locking the phone in the car, on the plus side, when I'm back in range with my watch and bluetooth is reconnected, I could either program the car to unlock when its connected again or run the tasker command on my watch to unlock the car.

• Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa