Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using Homebridge and Siri to control your Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
Has anyone tried this yet. Homebridge is available on Github at https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge. There are 88 plugins available here https://www.npmjs.com/search?q=homebridge-plugin

You run it on something like an RPi and it acts as a bridge between iOS' HomeKit.

I am no expert on this but it should be very doable to whip up a plugin to use voice commands via Siri to start and stop charging, turn on climate, unlock, etc.

Here is the description from Github:

Homebridge is a lightweight NodeJS server you can run on your home network that emulates the iOS HomeKit API. It supports Plugins, which are community-contributed modules that provide a basic bridge from HomeKit to various 3rd-party APIs provided by manufacturers of "smart home" devices.
Since Siri supports devices added through HomeKit, this means that with Homebridge you can ask Siri to control devices that don't have any support for HomeKit at all. For instance, using just some of the available plugins, you can say:

• Siri, unlock the front door.
  • Siri, open the garage door.
  • Siri, turn on the coffee maker.
  • Siri, turn on the living room lights.
  • Siri, good morning!

It looks like that uses teslams which is also written in JavaScript and allows full control of the Tesla. But I don't know the significance of the term "legacy-plugins". I think Homebridge has only been around for a few months so it shouldn't be an issue that it has been deprecated.

edit - Here is what it says about legacy lugins:
This repository contains all the plugins that were previously bundled in the main homebridge repository. These should all be moved to separate repositories owned by their original creators/maintainers.

Wayner, the problem with HomeKit is , that HomeKit is to commands devices, so, no answer come's for the device, i mean, you can send commands like "open the door" "start the car", but you can not ask "which is the level of the battery..", "is charging?", this kind of commands doesn't work with HomeKit, Amazon Echo can do it.
Tesla + Amazon Echo on Vimeo

How do you set this up?!?! :)

Wayner

More info: in the folder /usr/local/lib/node_modules/homebridge-legacy-plugins/accessories/Tesla.js (in a Mac) you have the javascript File, in these Javascript use the Teslams calls.

in your config.json (Homebridge you need to put your password and email for the Teslamotors account"
{
"accessory": "Tesla",
"name": "Tesla",
"description": "This shim supports controlling climate control on the Tesla Model S.",
"username": "-------",
"password" : xxxx"
}

and that's it, now you can start-stop the climate with Siri, works. But only these function is used in Tesla.js, you can add more if you want.

Wayner

More info: in the folder /usr/local/lib/node_modules/homebridge-legacy-plugins/accessories/Tesla.js (in a Mac) you have the javascript File, in these Javascript use the Teslams calls.

in your config.json (Homebridge you need to put your password and email for the Teslamotors account"
{
"accessory": "Tesla",
"name": "Tesla",
"description": "This shim supports controlling climate control on the Tesla Model S.",
"username": "-------",
"password" : xxxx"
}

and that's it, now you can start-stop the climate with Siri, works. But only these function is used in Tesla.js, you can add more if you want.

Just so I understand, this plug in installs on your computer or iOS?

The plugin is installed in your computer (the computer is the bridge)

in iOS you just have a Database with you compatible HomeKit devices (defined in the bridge).

Now i can control using SIRI the climate (just start - stop) and get the % soc from my tesla.....

Note: to add the "Bridge" to ios Homekit you can use the app named "eve" from elgato, this apps has the ability to add the HomeBridge to you iOs database using the id " 031-45-154"

Has anyone gotten this to work reliability?. When I try this, I get "the requested accessory Tesla was not registered by any plugin". I installed homebridge-tesla and teslams, but it didn't seem to make a difference. I am using a Docker image of homebridge running on my Synology NAS.

You could also try the “Remote S” app which allows you to create Siri shortcuts to control your Tesla. I believe that all of these shortcuts would be available to use on your watch as well. I can’t vouch for how well they work, but there is a video showing someone building the shortcuts:

Available shortcuts are:

Siri Shortcuts supported:
- Unlock/lock car
- Start/Stop HVAC
- Roof/Trunk/Frunk control
- Temperature change
- Max Cool/Heat
- Honk horn
- Flash lights
- Summon reverse/forward/stop
- Trigger HomeLink
- Start and stop charging
- Open/close charge port
- Change charge limit
- Switch cars
- Display charging stats (battery left, time left, range left, etc.)

You could also try the “Remote S” app which allows you to create Siri shortcuts to control your Tesla. I believe that all of these shortcuts would be available to use on your watch as well. I can’t vouch for how well they work, but there is a video showing someone building the shortcuts:

Available shortcuts are:

Siri Shortcuts supported:
- Unlock/lock car
- Start/Stop HVAC
- Roof/Trunk/Frunk control
- Temperature change
- Max Cool/Heat
- Honk horn
- Flash lights
- Summon reverse/forward/stop
- Trigger HomeLink
- Start and stop charging
- Open/close charge port
- Change charge limit
- Switch cars
- Display charging stats (battery left, time left, range left, etc.)

Yes, I’ve been playing with that too, and have found the behavior inconsistent so far. I’d rather avoid using shortcuts as direct HomeKit devices seems to be faster. Check out the error I get from my watch. Works on my phone though...

Attachments

• 1D07A57C-4A3C-473F-8B71-4C05D6EA0270.jpeg
    1D07A57C-4A3C-473F-8B71-4C05D6EA0270.jpeg
    292.1 KB · Views: 151