Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using old charging cable (model S 2013) to model 3 (2020)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have ordered model 3 and waiting for delivery.
My model S (2013) was unfortunately totalled last month. I still have my old charging cable. Wondering if I can still use it with model 3. Has anybody tried it and if so is there any side effects or danger to be aware of.
Thank you.

If you charge at more than the 32 amps allowed by the gen 2 charger, it will be faster. Otherwise, it’s the same. I’ve got both and it seems the gen 1 charger was better in every way I’ve noticed, aside from size.

This CleanTechnica article delves into the differences between the Gen1 and Gen2 Mobile Connectors in detail. Aside from the Gen1 being able to provide an extra 8 amps, it's a less technically sophisticated device. The Gen2 Mobile Connector provides safety and convenience features not present in the Gen1.

That said, I've never used a Gen1 unit, and I rarely use my Gen2. (I have a Clipper Creek HCS-40 that I bought for use with a Chevy Volt that I drove before my Model 3. It was easier and cheaper to continue using it than to buy a Tesla Wall Connector or use my Model 3's Mobile Connector on a regular basis.) Thus, I can't comment on the user experience of the two generations of Mobile Connector.

Reactions: qbit
The 8 amp difference is why the Gen 1 is my travel charger. Those 8 amps could make a difference, and that is all the more reason to take that one on the road.
The gen 2 is my home charger on a 120v 15 amp circuit.

I did not buy the gen 1 charger, as it was a compensation for some major delivery issues I had with the 3.

Reactions: qbit