Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using own referral code to get an existing inventory model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

Hopefully someone may know the answer to my question. I have my second Model 3 (LR 2021) and am thinking of changing for a new existing inventory LR model Y using my own/existing referral code, either trading in my model 3 or selling to the usual suspects. If you can then I was going to use the new referral credits to get Acceleration Boost for the new LR model Y.

Thanks for any insight

Hi

Hopefully someone may know the answer to my question. I have my second Model 3 (LR 2021) and am thinking of changing for a new existing inventory LR model Y using my own/existing referral code, either trading in my model 3 or selling to the usual suspects. If you can then I was going to use the new referral credits to get Acceleration Boost for the new LR model Y.

Thanks for any insight
Yes you can, if you go in the app, there are two tabs, Referrals for friends, and another called "Loyalty" exactly for that, purchasing additional products for yourself.

As far as I saw, both would earn you the same amount of credits.

EDIT:
Sadly it appears this has changed recently, now you only get the 7500 credits for Referrals on a 3/Y.
Loyalty simply gives you £500 off...
That's not a good deal given that Acceleration Boost is £1500 but 7000 credits....
1690807547832.png

Last edited:
If you already own a Tesla and have an account you will receive Loyalty benefits.

From the Refer & Earn conditions:
"If an existing owner attempts to order through a referral link (whether their own or a friend’s), they will not qualify for the cash awards for buyers, nor will the referrer qualify for referral credits, because the buyer is already part of the Tesla community. Instead, the owner automatically earns loyalty benefits."

Yes you can, if you go in the app, there are two tabs, Referrals for friends, and another called "Loyalty" exactly for that, purchasing additional products for yourself.

As far as I saw, both would earn you the same amount of credits.

EDIT:
Sadly it appears this has changed recently, now you only get the 7500 credits for Referrals on a 3/Y.
Loyalty simply gives you £500 off...
That's not a good deal given that Acceleration Boost is £1500 but 7000 credits....
View attachment 961077

seems to chagne all the time. I got 3000 points which was only worth enough for two of the small supercharger miles - about 600? Which I used on a trip. Didn't get any money off unless you count the £4k discount for quarter end

Sorry to hijack the thread but anybody knows if the referrals are working cross-border? Can you refer someone in Europe from the UK or the other way around, or does it all have to be within the same country?

Sorry to hijack the thread but anybody knows if the referrals are working cross-border? Can you refer someone in Europe from the UK or the other way around, or does it all have to be within the same country?
Not sure about now but in 2020 I used my Daughters referral (USA) for my original Model 3 (UK) & once she maxed out with rewards (set of Model X black alloys, two Tesla Chargers, kids Tesla) three of her friends also used my referral through to the end of the original scheme in 2021 (her cars are SuC for life so didn't need the miles).

Reactions: WllXM
I had my wife create a new Tesla account and use my referral code to purchase a new MY. She got the $500 credit and 3 mo FSD and I got the 10k referral credits. I was added to the new MY as a driver and had planned to use the credits for acceleration boost on the new car. However, it appears that her new car is not shown as an option for applying any of the software upgrades. I can only apply the credits for software upgrades to my old car. Is there anything I can do to enable the credits to apply to her new car? Perhaps add/remove product the new car from her to me? Or is then new car vin essentially blocked from the referral credits?

I had my wife create a new Tesla account and use my referral code to purchase a new MY. She got the $500 credit and 3 mo FSD and I got the 10k referral credits. I was added to the new MY as a driver and had planned to use the credits for acceleration boost on the new car. However, it appears that her new car is not shown as an option for applying any of the software upgrades. I can only apply the credits for software upgrades to my old car. Is there anything I can do to enable the credits to apply to her new car? Perhaps add/remove product the new car from her to me? Or is then new car vin essentially blocked from the referral credits?
I have found that you could get your own credits by disposing of your vehicle prior to the new car as for a short period you cease to be with Tesla.