Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using Supercharging (nearly exclusively) amidst Covid-19?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where are you? Your profile says St. Louis where it is 68 degrees.

Last week is a little worse, but plenty of warm days. Low of 46 it never froze in March in St Louis. Going forward this year you won't have cold problems in the South.

St. Louis, MO Monthly Weather Forecast - weather.com

Do i really need to justify the weather history on a forum? Even this week, the overnight lows almost everyday were in the 30’s so besides the point that one of the days was 46/68. Previous month saw 20-40’s overnight which means your battery gets pretty cold and takes energy to heat up, thus that eats more range which requires more charging. Two months before that were even colder which is when I moved to this rental and started trying to figure out if I should supercharge instead of level 2 chargers during this time. However weather temp really isn’t what’s relevant to this post, the question was whether supercharging exclusively during a time when you don’t have home charging options is damaging to long term battery life or are there ways that supercharging can damage the battery or BMS? Like should one wait a week and do one bigger 10/20%-90/95% and charge all the way up or would more frequent quick charges from 60/70-90% hurt be better? To recalibrate a battery they say a 10-100% from time to time is good but i e never done 100%. Can that be done on a supercharger or is that better for V2?

Reactions: jpfive
Do i really need to justify the weather history on a forum? Even this week, the overnight lows almost everyday were in the 30’s so besides the point that one of the days was 46/68. Previous month saw 20-40’s overnight which means your battery gets pretty cold and takes energy to heat up, thus that eats more range which requires more charging. Two months before that were even colder which is when I moved to this rental and started trying to figure out if I should supercharge instead of level 2 chargers during this time. However weather temp really isn’t what’s relevant to this post, the question was whether supercharging exclusively during a time when you don’t have home charging options is damaging to long term battery life or are there ways that supercharging can damage the battery or BMS? Like should one wait a week and do one bigger 10/20%-90/95% and charge all the way up or would more frequent quick charges from 60/70-90% hurt be better? To recalibrate a battery they say a 10-100% from time to time is good but i e never done 100%. Can that be done on a supercharger or is that better for V2?

to correct myself, weather temp is relevant only to the point that standard 110 outlet option won’t be sufficient during colder days. (Not that it has ever been sufficient for me anyway and at any temperature). However exploring if my only garage outlet is a dedicated circuit to replace with 15 or 20 NEMA is a good idea, but now that I think of it, i use that outlet already to power a fridge in the garage and a Dyson cordless vac.

Here’s the scenario, I sold my home in January 2020 and in a rental home for next 6 months while we build new. That means my home charging options are gone other than 110v which isn’t a suitable option. Until Covid-19 I would frequently drive to a local coffee shop or restaurant area that had level 2 chargers which wasn’t ideal but doable.

Now that all these options are closed or take too long for me to sit in the car waiting for enough charge bc the restaurants/coffee houses are closed, I’ve moved to once a week supercharging. I try to go when I’m low enough to hopefully not screw with the BMS so try to be in that 10-20% range and charge to 90-95% since the charger is about 15 miles away.

My question is concerning battery health. Does this cause long term issues? I’ve read both sides of the coin here so wanted to get more recent data. Also I know it recommended from time to time to reset the BMS every so often to do those 10-100% resets? Not sure if it is better to do that on level 2 chargers instead and not the higher current of the super chargers, although the available KW’s drop off significantly and the closer the battery gets to a full charge.
Okay, the weather is getting warmer, so the 120V option should not be off the table. And, previously, I mentioned combining two 120V outlets, on separate circuits, and creating a 240V charger. You didn't answer, so perhaps you didn't understand. If so, look up the Quick 220. Here, I found the link:
Quick 220

If your garage only has 120V on one circuit, run a thick gauge extension cord from the room next to your garage and combine with the Quick 220 to make a 220V outlet. Be sure, nothing is running on either circuit.

Okay, the weather is getting warmer, so the 120V option should not be off the table. And, previously, I mentioned combining two 120V outlets, on separate circuits, and creating a 240V charger. You didn't answer, so perhaps you didn't understand. If so, look up the Quick 220. Here, I found the link:
Quick 220

If your garage only has 120V on one circuit, run a thick gauge extension cord from the room next to your garage and combine with the Quick 220 to make a 220V outlet. Be sure, nothing is running on either circuit.

thanks Ken, good advice and will look into if I get tired of supercharging, which isn’t that inconvenient when it’s only once a week, or level 2 charging now that it’s getting warmer. That option also isn’t terrible but honestly much more inconvenient than supercharging especially during covid-19. Before i would just plug into level 2 and then go walk and work in coffee shop for 3 hours a few times a week which obviously can’t be done now. I would have to plug in and walk mile home for several hours to get the charge I need.

Doing a BMS recalc or 10-100% for the first time actually at a supercharger. Got up to 100% or 290 miles but has been stuck at this point for 20 minutes or so saying “calculating”. I know others suggested when going to 100%, to leave it there until it says complete but not seeing any miles added in last 20 minutes and charging rate is down to 2 kW. Yikes. I’m hoping the battery will jump up in miles once it finally says complete because it is recalculating range?

the question was whether supercharging exclusively during a time when you don’t have home charging options is damaging to long term battery life or are there ways that supercharging can damage the battery or BMS? Like should one wait a week and do one bigger 10/20%-90/95% and charge all the way up or would more frequent quick charges from 60/70-90% hurt be better? To recalibrate a battery they say a 10-100% from time to time is good but i e never done 100%. Can that be done on a supercharger or is that better for V2?
We need to separate two things that are completely different because you are referring to both of them as "should do" items, but they are not both in that category.

1. What is good and healthy for the battery. The things that are helpful for that are smaller amounts of charges at a time, and keeping it more toward the middle state of charge (not going toward the extreme ends). That is the kind of stuff that falls in the "should do" category.

2. Managing the number on the display. (BMS issues)
This one with the running it down really low and then really high is just for trying to soothe people's paranoia about what number they are seeing on the display. The software algorithms in the car that try to read the amount of energy can get lost and confused and that number of rated miles can seem to drift down if it doesn't get some recalibration every once in a while. But trying to true up that number is just to give YOU a warm fuzzy, not to do anything that is beneficial for the battery. So that is not really something you need to do ever, unless you want to make yourself feel better about trying to see that rated miles number go up a little bit.

So there ya go. Keeping more toward the middle is most ideal, but you need to do whatever you can do to use the car. So it's fine if you need to go a few days at a time and run the car down some before refilling it, but it's not like that is more helpful to the battery.

• Love
Reactions: jjrandorin
As to why I’m driving at all right now, social distancing comes in many forms but as long as your distancing that’s what counts. Getting cabin fever and taking a 20 minute drive by yourself listening to music, helps clear the head.
Indeed it does and the 3 is SO MUCH FUN to drive. I've been supercharging exclusively for the last few weeks since I have some credit expiring soon. Perfect time to do so since roads and chargers have been mostly empty lately. Mini road trips on weekends with clear roadways are enjoyable for me.

Unlike Plugshare, which shows public charging stations, EV Match gives you access to privately owned charging stations.
Stop saying "unlike Plugshare", please. That's just false. Plugshare has the exact same thing. That's why it started off with that word "share" in the name. That has always been part of their functionality. My home outlet is listed on Plugshare.

Stop saying "unlike Plugshare", please. That's just false. Plugshare has the exact same thing. That's why it started off with that word "share" in the name. That has always been part of their functionality. My home outlet is listed on Plugshare.

Thank you for letting me know, I was not aware that Plugshare listed privately-owned charge stations. That said, at least in my own geographic area, there were numerous home charging stations accessible via the EV Match area that did not appear at all in Plugshare. So Plugshare may have the capacity to include privately owned home charging stations but my own experience suggests Plugshare alone does not give you a complete picture of all available charging stations. So perhaps checking both Plugshare and EV Match would be a good idea.

Thank you for letting me know, I was not aware that Plugshare listed privately-owned charge stations. That said, at least in my own geographic area, there were numerous home charging stations accessible via the EV Match area that did not appear at all in Plugshare. So Plugshare may have the capacity to include privately owned home charging stations but my own experience suggests Plugshare alone does not give you a complete picture of all available charging stations. So perhaps checking both Plugshare and EV Match would be a good idea.
Are you for real? I'm getting fed up with this dishonesty of the fake "Oh, I didn't know that!"

You and I went round the exact same call-out and response carousel about Plugshare and EV Match back in December in a different thread. Here, I will quote it for you so you don't conveniently "forget" that I already told you about this.

Charging w PlugShare or ChargePoint

EVMatch is different in that it hooks you up with privately owned chargers, usually at private homes.
...which is what the word "share" in Plugshare stands for. That is I think what Plugshare was originally created for before it merged with the Recargo site, which had public charging stations. Anyway, it certainly still has people's private home charging options listed in the app. I have given and received charging through Plugshare in the past and still have my home 14-50 outlet listed on it. I don't know about how many people would have heard of EVMatch or how useful it is, since Plugshare has already had this function for a long time.
The problem I have run into with Plugshare is that, at least in my area, there are public and private chargers that definitely exist but do NOT appear on Plugshare. For example, I have found at least 2 Chargepoint public chargers as well as 2 EV Match private chargers that do appear on the Chargepoint and EVMatch apps respectively but do not appear on Plugshare. I do have and use Plugshare, but I do not rely on it exclusively as it seems to miss some chargers. I have Plugshare, Chargepoint, and EVMatch apps on my phone just in case I have trouble finding a charger via Plugshare.

YES, WE KNOW that Plugshare and EV Match are different sites, and some people might know about only one or the other, so some people's home outlets will be on one site and not the other one. That's obvious!! But knock it off with the lying about Plugshare, falsely claiming that it doesn't have that functionality. We've caught you on it before, and we're going to keep calling you out for it.

I don't know what your angle or agenda is for why you want to keep promoting EV Match and disparaging Plugshare, but it's uncalled for. If people want to check both sites to see the most possible options, great!

Last edited:
I hear how upset you are and I am sorry if I offended you with my post. However, please do not accuse me falsely of dishonesty. I simply did not remember that you had told me about Plugshare including some private charges. As your own post indicates, you and I had this exchange SEVERAL MONTHS AGO and I simply didn't remember.

More importantly, and to the point I want to share with everyone else on the forum, in my area, Plugshare neglected to include several Chargepoint chargers and home chargers that were included in the Chargepoint app and in EV Match. I know that feeling when you need a charge and you are nearly desperately looking for a charger. I also know that frustration when you open up Plugshare, hoping to find a charger nearby, and it shows no chargers in your immediate area. I also know the immense relief that comes with realizing that maybe Plugshare is not accurate and that other apps such as Chargepoint and EV Match show available chargers within a mile or two.

I have no affliation wtih EV Match other than I personally experienced the relief that came from discovering a neighbor less than a mile away who was offering the use of his 14-50 outlet through the EV Match app.

Again, I am sorry if you were upset by my not remembering the details of our discussion from several months ago. I hope this helps to clear things up and I hope you and your loved ones are safe and healthy.