Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Utah Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats! I'm a fellow local P85+ owner in Park City, happy to see another one on the roads! What specs did you get? VIN?

Also on a side note: Model 3 seen in Utah!
Tesla Model 3 spotted in Salt Lake City, Utah. Sent by a friend of a friend, but think it's at Tesla store on corner of State St and East Truman. • r/teslamotors

I don't know how I missed this post :)

Pleasure to meet you, @Fiver !

I was actually at the SLC store about an hour after that was posted. I must have just missed it!

Here's the specs:
VIN: 5YJSA1DP3DFP25330
85 kWh Performance Model S
Black Solid Paint
All Glass Panoramic Roof
21" Grey Turbine Wheels
Black Textile Seats
Piano Black Décor
Standard Headliner
Free Supercharging
Dual Chargers
Tech Package
Smart Air Suspension
Ultra High Fidelity Sound
Rear Facing Seats
Premium Interior Lighting
Performance Plus

I wish it had the cold climate package and was a D, but this was already at the top of the budget, and I feel like I'll be pretty happy with it as is :)

I don't know how I missed this post :)

Pleasure to meet you, @Fiver !

I was actually at the SLC store about an hour after that was posted. I must have just missed it!

Here's the specs:
VIN: 5YJSA1DP3DFP25330
85 kWh Performance Model S
Black Solid Paint
All Glass Panoramic Roof
21" Grey Turbine Wheels
Black Textile Seats
Piano Black Décor
Standard Headliner
Free Supercharging
Dual Chargers
Tech Package
Smart Air Suspension
Ultra High Fidelity Sound
Rear Facing Seats
Premium Interior Lighting
Performance Plus

I wish it had the cold climate package and was a D, but this was already at the top of the budget, and I feel like I'll be pretty happy with it as is :)
Wow our cars are almost identical.

Well look what was charging at the supercharger in Lakepoint Friday afternoon.

The driver was friendly but I got the impression he was tired of being pestered every time he stops. Unfortunately I was not able to wait for him to leave so was not able to see the car uncovered.

Did notice the unusual charge port that has been reported elsewhere.

Interestingly I saw a somewhat older vehicle at my next stop. That car's engine was made in 1917, 100 years before the Model 3 I'd seen just minutes before.

model3-1.JPG model3-2.JPG model old.JPG

Hi guys.
Can anyone chime in on how the single motor performs in winter conditions. I live in Park City. I'd prefer the dual motor but i'm tempted to get the single motor b/c i can get my model 3 atleast 9 months earlier and i'd definitely still be eligible for tax credit if i get the my model 3 sooner (estimated delivery in February 2018). Is single motor with snow tires fine for winter conditions or should i hold out for dual motor even tho that means more expensive car, possible 1 more year wait, and no tax credit?
Thanks!

Hi guys.
Can anyone chime in on how the single motor performs in winter conditions. I live in Park City. I'd prefer the dual motor but i'm tempted to get the single motor b/c i can get my model 3 atleast 9 months earlier and i'd definitely still be eligible for tax credit if i get the my model 3 sooner (estimated delivery in February 2018). Is single motor with snow tires fine for winter conditions or should i hold out for dual motor even tho that means more expensive car, possible 1 more year wait, and no tax credit?
Thanks!
I think it would depend on what you are driving right now. How bad do you need to get into a new car. The AWD will be better without a doubt but right now I drive a RWD model S and it gets me around just fine in the winter. I do have an extra set of tires and wheels so changing from summer to winter tires is easy.

The AWD will be more expensive for sure and the tax credits may not be there so that is something to consider as well.

Reactions: tony b
I have a P85+ RWD and live in Park City also. With good snow tires, the Tesla was fine on all but the worst snow days... And on those days I just either tried not to drive, or hopped in the old trusty AWD Subaru. Handling aside, if the roads are crap, I'd rather the Subaru take the abuse over the Tesla.

If possible I'd wait for AWD just for piece of mind because no doubt it will be better in snow, but with good snow tires, you should be OK with just RWD.

Hi guys.
Thanks!
Just a note, the tax credit continues long after the threshold of 200,000 EVs are sold by Tesla. For example, if the 200,000th tesla is sold in April of 2018, anyone who buys a tesla through the end of that quarter, 2018 Q2, and all of the following quarter, 2018 Q3, are eligible for the full tax credit ($7500). The following two quarters after that, 2018 Q4 & 2019 Q1, anyone taking delivery regardless of how many deliveries there are get 50% of the tax credit ($3750). The next two quarters after that, 2019 Q2 & Q3, people taking deliveries, again regardless of how many deliveries that is, get 25% of the tax credit ($1875). The odds of you missing out on the tax credit entirely are pretty slim even if you sign up for a model 3 reservation today.

See Internal Revenue Bulletin - November 30, 2009 - Notice 2009-89 for the official IRS language

• Informative
Thanks for the advice and insights! I didn't realize the tax incentives were cut in half every 2 quarters. i thought they were cut in half every quarter. If that's the case, i'd still get some incentive but i am in a desperate situation with my current car. 1996 ford explorer RWD w over 350,000 miles and i'm beyond ready to get into a new car.
I'm clearly trying to convince and justify myself into getting the car sooner. delivery feb-aril 2018 sounds a lot better than nov 2018- jan 2019. i couldn't imagine going through another summer and 2 more winters in my current car. pretty sure i'd have to get another cheap car to last me through that extra waiting.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice and insights! I didn't realize the tax incentives were cut in half every 2 quarters. i thought they were cut in half every quarter. If that's the case, i'd still get some incentive but i am in a desperate situation with my current car. 1996 ford explorer RWD w over 350,000 miles and i'm beyond ready to get into a new car.
I'm clearly trying to convince and justify myself into getting the car sooner. delivery feb-aril 2018 sounds a lot better than nov 2018- jan 2019. i couldn't imagine going through another summer and 2 more winters in my current car. pretty sure i'd have to get another cheap car to last me through that extra waiting.
I feel you and I've certainly been there! I just didn't want you to worry about missing out on the tax credit. One more note: because of the way the credit is applied you have to have more than $7500 in tax liability in order to get the full credit even if you qualify for a $7500 credit. So check last year's taxes to see how much you owed the IRS last year. If it was less, say, $6200 then even if you qualified for $7500, you'd get a refund of $6200. If I recall correctly, you can't carry the remaining credit over to next year but I'd double check that.

As for the car, I have no doubts the curb weight of the Model 3 will be substantial and with a dedicated set of winter tires, you'll do just fine with a non-D version. Nordic countries are full of non-D Teslas and they loved the snow performance. No matter which version of the Model 3 you buy, you're not gonna be sad. You're going to feel like you drive a spaceship every single day.

Hi guys.
Thanks!

I drove a P85+ for 2 years in the snow before upgrading to a dual motor Tesla. I’d say snow tires are mandatory. I never got stuck with real wheel drive only, but there were some instances in deep snow that I could not get through. The smooth bottom on the car would slide me up on the deeper snow, and the rear wheels would lose contact with the ground. I’ve yet to run into anything with dual motor that stopped me.

I’m having the same dilemma as you as far as ordering the RWD or waiting for dual motor.

I'm "lucky" in that I'm building a house right now, and it wouldn't be prudent for me to buy the M3 until the house is done. So I'm waiting anyway. I'd agree that in our AWD X with snow tires, I've felt completely in command at all times, regardless of depth of snow or iciness. And honestly, I want to see the specs on AWD vs. P, cause I'm going to have a hard time accepting anything slower than my wife's X 90D @ 4.8s 0-60.

I'm "lucky" in that I'm building a house right now, and it wouldn't be prudent for me to buy the M3 until the house is done. So I'm waiting anyway. I'd agree that in our AWD X with snow tires, I've felt completely in command at all times, regardless of depth of snow or iciness. And honestly, I want to see the specs on AWD vs. P, cause I'm going to have a hard time accepting anything slower than my wife's X 90D @ 4.8s 0-60.

I’m building a house right now as well, so I’m considering selling my Model S and driving a 3. I’ve just got to decide if I can live with rear wheel drive only again. As I said, it was acceptable, but I’m a lot more confident with AWD.

We need to make a pact here. Whomever gets their 3 first needs to let us all know and be able to experience it in person.

Deal?

Definitely a deal. I think i'm going back to waiting for the dual motor. I think its the right call even tho it's going to take alll my will power to wait it out. it looks like my estimate delivery for dual motor is now oct-dec 2018 (which has been updated. just a couple days ago the estimate was nov 2018 - jan 2019).

Last edited:
We need to make a pact here. Whomever gets their 3 first needs to let us all know and be able to experience it in person.

Deal?
I have a pretty early delivery window for a Model 3 but I'll most likely pass on ordering one altogether. I was hoping for, but not really expecting, air suspension. Unfortunately that's a deal breaker for me and my driveway so I think our next Tesla will be another Model S.
IMG_1976.PNG