Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

utility discounts - help please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purchased model 3 performance yesterday. Fast! 15 - 40 being installed in a few days. How do you get a discount for EV or even for off-peak charging? Go after delivery utility or sourcing utility? I am in Cleveland so CEI delivers power, which is sourced from First Energy 100% wind farm.

I just called the co-op that charges me for electricity... they offer a $50 bill credit for buying an EV at all, and another $50 credit for switching to time-of-day billing... (where I'm paying 2.79 cents per kwh to charge the car)

Purchased model 3 performance yesterday. Fast! 15 - 40 being installed in a few days. How do you get a discount for EV or even for off-peak charging? Go after delivery utility or sourcing utility? I am in Cleveland so CEI delivers power, which is sourced from First Energy 100% wind farm.
You might get more regional answers to your question by posting in the sub-forum for your area.
Midwest/Great Lakes

Don't assume that you want to switch plans. When you switch, your whole house probably has to switch.
To see plans, check your providers web page, most have EV charging section.
I'm in a state with a plan, but don't feel that I would save anything if I were to change. Also, because I'm not on a TOU plan, I charge whenever I desire

for instance in MD, it is more costly to switch to the EV plan as a whole than to stay on the regular plan, which is the same cost every hour

I would recommend, looking at your utility rate, and go a month with the car, to see how much it changes, and analyze your time of use... then see if the EV rate or a TOU would be cheaper... if you drive a lot it "might" pay to switch but if you don't, it won't

Where I am switching is definitely cheaper overall... for about 7-8 hours a day I pay 1/5th my previous rate...for about 12 hours I pay 1/2 my previous rate... and for about 4-5 hours I pay about 2x my previous rate... (and on weekends and holidays it's always either the cheaper rate or the MUCH cheaper rate)

I can easily insure I run any large draw "only runs sometimes" items like the Tesla, the dryer, oven, TVs, or dishwasher outside those 4-5 expensive hours... the fridge and our computers are cheaper since they're running 24/7 and more hours are cheaper than more expensive....about the only element that might cost a bit more net is HVAC, but the weather is only hot enough a few months of the year for that to be a huge element in our billing so the cheaper-all-rest-of-the-year more than covers it.

Reactions: eprosenx