Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Utility Transformer Upgrade - Burden of Cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Xcel was a month late installing our new transformer, showing up on November 3rd instead of October 5th. They installed a new transformer that we share with one neighbor and it looks like they also upgraded the other transformer that served the remaining three neighbors (previously five on one transformer). Hopefully the upgrade fixes our dirty power issues but we won't know until next May or so since we only had the problem during hot weather this year. They did install upgraded wiring between our house and the transformer. I don't know the specifics but they said it can handle 6x as much as the previous wiring.

When my installation was completed and the Powerwalls charged up for the first time, it only charged to 55%. It turned out that one of the two Powerwall breakers was turned off. There was no indication of this in the app. After I turned it on, it finally charged in Backup Mode to 100%.

Just a final update on this topic. Utility (Eversource) replaced the transformer within 2 weeks of receiving payment from Tesla. I was outside watching them replace the transformer and contacted Tesla once completed, they still refused to pass it on to install without confirmation from Eversource. Eversource does not do any type of confirmation though and my advisor seemed incapable of calling them. I was able to find a link through Google for contractors to put in their W\O # and get the status. I sent this to my advisor and he marked it off completed and told me scheduling would contact me. Waited a week with no contact and called back... apparently a 'glitch' on the website prevented it from moving to scheduling. Scheduled it for two weeks later.

The day before install I attempted reaching out to Tesla\Advisor to confirm the install the next day with no luck. Website said 7AM and the whole install would only take 5 hours. Install day came and to my surprise they actually showed up (8AM). The installers were great, very professional and they even cleaned out my gutters! It took them 3 full days to complete the installation. They turned the system on and just told me to turn it off once the batteries were charged. Unfortunately the app showed the batteries charging to 45% and stopping, I tried discharging\charging over the next couple of days without any luck. I shut the system off as I called the town inspector and scheduled him to come out. Tesla also sent their own guy out to meet the inspector. Our town inspector works part time for the town and didn't even shut his truck off in the driveway, he was in and out in 10 minutes. The Tesla guy just took off all the panels to show the underlying wiring and put it all back on and left.

I have a ticket in with Tesla about the powerwall issue, the tech on the phone said only one of the three powerwalls is actually working even though all three are online. I'm waiting for level 2 to try and troubleshoot remotely, if that fails they're supposed to schedule a service call. Hopefully that happens quickly.

My takeaways from this process:
Do not trust Tesla. The amount of misinformation and poor internal communication is absurd. Stay on top of your project and advisor to make sure things are moving forward. If they say something is waiting on someone else such as the town, call and confirm if you can. I paid an extra $1,000 for "hidden conduit", the install team had no clue that I had paid for it. Luckily they went over their general plan before starting with me and I mentioned it to them, they weren't super happy about this as I think it extended the overall installation time.
pictures please, including this conduit if possible

Can anyone tell me if they had to pay for the quote for the transformer? I just got an email asking for 500 dollars to pay for them to provide the quote for the new transformer. This is JCPL in NJ seems crazy.
Thanks

Yes, this is pretty standard here.

PGE charges $1500 to get this answer, but the cost is applied to the cost of a new transformer.

What happens if they discover no new transformer is needed? Is the $1,500 still owed?

FWIW, if you ask PG&E to assess your underground natural gas line, they will charge a fee. To your point if there is subsequent work, the fee will be applied to the balance of the work. But if the homeowner cancels the project or PG&E's assessment prevents the project from continuing, the homeowner still has to pay that fee.

What happens if they discover no new transformer is needed? Is the $1,500 still owed?

FWIW, if you ask PG&E to assess your underground natural gas line, they will charge a fee. To your point if there is subsequent work, the fee will be applied to the balance of the work. But if the homeowner cancels the project or PG&E's assessment prevents the project from continuing, the homeowner still has to pay that fee.
They will refund the difference minus what they spent. In my case they refunded all except $75.

Reactions: kayak1