Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V 10 Autopilot behavior change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2018 Model X Autopilot driving changed post V10 update. Specifically when lane-keeping, the car wobbles between the lines and on many occasions keeps hugging either left or right lane border. It's disconcerting especially driving at higher speeds.

This has never happened before. I've driven over 10K miles in autopilot so the change in behavior is jarring.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Reactions: Jimmy T
My 2018 Model X Autopilot driving changed post V10 update. Specifically when lane-keeping, the car wobbles between the lines and on many occasions keeps hugging either left or right lane border. It's disconcerting especially driving at higher speeds.

This has never happened before. I've driven over 10K miles in autopilot so the change in behavior is jarring.

I’ve experienced like hugging at times but not the wobbling you describe. I noticed the car didn’t seem centered over the weekend when driving on a road I’ve been on many times. However, I’ve also noticed improvements such as sticking to the lane when passing an off-ramp on highways. I take the good with the bad.

I’ve experienced like hugging at times but not the wobbling you describe. I noticed the car didn’t seem centered over the weekend when driving on a road I’ve been on many times. However, I’ve also noticed improvements such as sticking to the lane when passing an off-ramp on highways. I take the good with the bad.
I hear you but I had other drivers signal me because my car was driving to close... Id rather Tesla rolled back whatever changed

Reactions: Jimmy T
I've noticed that when passing a big rig the car will now hug the opposite side of the lane. Which I think it's better, because last year it would get too close to the big trucks. Lane changes are more confident and faster. Overall I believe it has improved with V10.

Reactions: jboy210
Is it really hugging the line or is that just what you see on the display? I thought mine was doing the same thing until I looked at my side view mirrors and saw it was right in the center.

However, as #scubamal mentions, it does seem to bias away from semis in the next lane when there is extra room.

Last edited:
I've noticed that when passing a big rig the car will now hug the opposite side of the lane. Which I think it's better, because last year it would get too close to the big trucks. Lane changes are more confident and faster. Overall I believe it has improved with V10.
First time experiencing this change today and I am not a fan. People usually move away from trucks because they are scared of them and their perspective makes it look like they're closer than they actually are. It's the same reason people feel like they're hugging one side of the lane or the other, but are actually centered when they look through the rear camera.

The only time I want my car moving away from a truck that quickly is if the truck is drifting into my lane. The abrupt shift it does to the edge of the lane now is going to freak people out when they think you're about to sideswipe them.

Reactions: Utahken
Definitely felt the wobble. Hopefully they fix that. It was rail solid prior to V10.

I have experienced both of these as well. There's definitely more "wiggle" in the wheel than in V9, especially in turning situations. I've also noticed the car make a quick and be described as an unexpected bump to the side of the lane away from a big rig or even a delivery van in my case. Seems like it might be safer until you realize that another car is in the lane beside you and it feels like you could reach out and give them a High 5.

Is it really hugging the line or is that just what you see on the display? I thought mine was doing the same thing until I looked at my side view mirrors and saw it was right in the center.

However, as #scubamal mentions, it does seem to bias away from semis in the next lane when there is extra room.

No, my tesla is riding the line very close. (Eric Stehlin) It is VERY unnerving because in my experience over the last two days, that it does NOT move away from other vehicles, and if you are in the middle of the lane, it will drastically jerk you over to a side of the lane (sometimes bouncing between the lane divider lines).

No, my tesla is riding the line very close. (Eric Stehlin) It is VERY unnerving because in my experience over the last two days, that it does NOT move away from other vehicles, and if you are in the middle of the lane, it will drastically jerk you over to a side of the lane (sometimes bouncing between the lane divider lines).

Oh, wow! That is dramatic. Mine just does a slow drift a bit away from the semi. Otherwise is is pretty centered, but the center display is off a little on divided roads. Looks almost like they did not compensate on the graphic for the extra width of double lines.

BTW, do you have Navigate on Autopilot enabled. I do not.

Last edited:

What rev?

I have also noticed the change. It was predictable in certain scenarios. It moves away from semis as identified. It was a bit jerky but definitely not scary. It was also predictable that some ppl would not be happy with the version release. The dissatisfaction from 8 to 9 was ridiculous. Innovation is all about change and it is not for everyone.

I have also noticed the change. It was predictable in certain scenarios. It moves away from semis as identified. It was a bit jerky but definitely not scary. It was also predictable that some ppl would not be happy with the version release. The dissatisfaction from 8 to 9 was ridiculous. Innovation is all about change and it is not for everyone.
What "innovation" are you talking about? Moving the car away from the semis for no reason is the innovation I can live without. Not sure why anyone would welcome a behavior like that but should be an optional setting if anything.

What "innovation" are you talking about? Moving the car away from the semis for no reason is the innovation I can live without. Not sure why anyone would welcome a behavior like that but should be an optional setting if anything.
One observation that I am still validating is that it only occurs in the left most lane. That would point to a very specific use case that has been discussed for awhile now. In California, there has been tremendous complaints about Tesla vehicles with AP engaged does not move over for motorcycles. They primarily split vehicles between the leftmost and adjacent lanes. This especially is a problem with large trucks. I can appreciate it isn't valid in all states, but will be appreciated where lane splitting is legal. In Texas, there is no law against it and does happen, but not as common as in CA. Also, as long as I have been following this group, many drivers have complained how close the vehicles get to semi trucks. Personally, I think that was more of a perception issue than an actual issue. But, it seems to address that as well. So, innovation...yes. As a software design lead, the innovation is very difficult to execute and will get better over time.