Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V10 keeps "Saving" profiles - why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

whitex

Sep 30, 2015
Seattle area, WA
I noticed that V10 keeps saying "Saving" where the profile name is shown, each time the profile changes, from Easy Entry to a driver, driver-to-driver, etc. Is it really re-saving the profile over and over? Is this Tesla's way to increase EMMC writes to make the MCU1 cars fail sooner?

No, the point is if it changing from EA to your profile, nothing has changed. It’s setting the car to it. It’s reading it, not saving an update.

So, what is being ‘saved’?

What does multiple profiles have to do with it? It knows which profiles are in effect from the fob or phone or card (depending on car, all do this).

No, the point is if it changing from EA to your profile, nothing has changed. It’s setting the car to it. It’s reading it, not saving an update.

So, what is being ‘saved’?

What does multiple profiles have to do with it? It knows which profiles are in effect from the fob or phone or card (depending on car, all do this).
Maybe it was the guy who implemented the "Saving" animation on the screen who felt it needed more visibility, so why not add saving the profile everywhere - with manual saving of profiles, owners may never see the cool animation if they don't change their profiles often. Or maybe it was Tesla's web app user experience team who thought it's cool to see the animation every time you get in the car.

Seriously though, it most likely was some outsourced programmer, who's never driven a Tesla, added a call to SaveProfile() as a work around for some bug they couldn't figure it out, and Tesla just shipped it.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
So your theory is that saving a profile, even if it didn't change, is required in order to switch to a new profile? How do you think it worked in V9 or earlier?

My theory is that it has to save the current profile selection and tells you that it's saving because it's saving, and the change you've noticed is that it's telling you that it's saving.

Depending on how it's implemented, it could be saving anything from that one selection, to all settings.

Maybe it always used to do this and only recently started showing that it was doing it. Or maybe because V10 is supposed to save more settings they just went everywhere and did a save. Either way, don't worry about it. The profile is probably a few kilobytes big so even if it was saving the whole profile that's negligible. The eMMC wear out was due to 100s of megabytes worth of logging a day, a profile is nothing in comparison.

Reactions: MP3Mike
All the above may be true but still smacks of stupid programming. More of stupid programming. Jeez. Write it when you read it for the heck of it? This isn’t a hard drive that needs to be ‘refreshed’ after five years to be sure you can read it next time.

My theory is that it has to save the current profile selection and tells you that it's saving because it's saving, and the change you've noticed is that it's telling you that it's saving.

Depending on how it's implemented, it could be saving anything from that one selection, to all settings.
Pre-V10 it was not saving, I used to move my wife's MS seat when reparking her car while in her profile, it never saved, always came back to settings she saved manually when she drove the car later using her profile.

Pre-V10 it was not saving, I used to move my wife's MS seat when reparking her car while in her profile, it never saved, always came back to settings she saved manually when she drove the car later using her profile.
And if you make ‘changes’ it will ask if you want to update the profile because perhaps you DON’T want it saved.

None of this makes any sense.

Reactions: Gwgan
This was mentioned in the release notes:

Driver Profile

In addition to your seat, mirror and steering wheel positions, your car automatically saves many settings to your driver profile. With this release, you can now see when a setting is saved to the selected driver profile at the status bar located at the top of your touchscreen.​

Reactions: SoCal Buzz
It's a new feature, which is beneficial in some cases but also does not allow you the choice. The best example is temp setting. If you change it up / down the car auto-saves to current profile. However, moving the seat or steering wheel still asks if you want to save the profile update.

I have noticed this too but if it’s saving that setting then why does it do it every time? For example, I used to turn off my headlights if parked at home (before getting out of the car), so now it started to show this change but there is no benefit of this. I still need to turn them off manually after the first saving?! I remember it’s been asking me before to confirm to make this action each time in this location, like tilting the mirrors...

It appears to also save the heated seat setting too. I noticed this past weekend that even when I turned off the seat heater at the end of my trip (I was probably in Easy Entry mode at the time), it came back on again the next time I drove the car. Not really behavior I want to see.

Since they reduced the logging, they needed to find another way to kill the eMMC faster :p

Anyway, I think it saves all the time now because some people complained that it didn't save often enough. I remember last year at delivery they said I had to nudge the steering wheel adjustment to bring up the save button.

Now it seems to save on every action, even if you are not doing anything, like pressing the brake pedal to get out of easy entry and into driving position. That indicates that the save is triggered not by user input, but rather by activity from the peripherals.

Reactions: boaterva
Who asked for this? Be one thing if we could export the profile but we still don’t have that or cloud storage. Wtf?

Still unclear on how this works, guess I need to do some testing. Going to have to see what is saved automatically and what isn’t. But there are a lot of ‘saving’ messages.