Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V10 Vampire drain warning: check Summon “Standby Mode” setting in car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sadly this tip reached me too late. Really wanted to do a good vampire reduction experiment while at the Grand Canyon North Rim (important to not lose charge there!!!) but this new gem was not included in my checklist.

Lost 55 miles in 3.5 days. Fortunately I had established a robust charging option for myself so it was not a disaster and just cost me about 20 minutes of sleep, while I set up my charging.

So it is about 150W average drain.

I just discovered that the Smart Summon feature on V10 has a button next to it labeled “standby mode” When this is on, the car will not sleep so that it responds more quickly when you go to summon it. The problem is they default it to on. This will cause a fairly significant power drain similar to sentry mode. If you don’t want the drain, set it to off.

I hope no one updated to V10 while their car was parked somewhere for a long time! (Airport)
Great catch! I just noticed this today and had wondered why my batter was draining so much while I was at work. Thanks for the tip!!

Was nearly standed at the airport on Friday by this unexpected default setting.

Came back after a week overseas and expected to find the car at 35+%, enough to drive to the Supercharger in the direction I was going.

NASTY surprise to find 18% instead, fortunately there was a closer Supercharger going the wrong way, which I reached with 7% remaining. The whole thing added 45 minutes of stress after 16 hours of travel.

Just went into settings and turned Standby Summon off. Seriously, If Tesla are going to have this battery drain feature, they should cap it at (say) 12 hours, or allow the user to select how long to cap it.
I'd be OK with 4 hours, more than enough for a shopping trip or restaurant run.

Reactions: brkaus
I was losing 15 miles of range over an 8 hour period. I knew Sentry Mode wasn't on but couldn't think of what else could be causing this kind of drain. I'm sure this was the reason. I just turned it off.

I've had this car over a year and consider myself fairly savvy when it comes to the car's features and doing research yet it took me about 10 minutes of reading and active searching to find this thread. If you search for "vampire", this thread comes up on page 4. How many people are out there experiencing this drain who don't have the time to actively search for a solution or don't even realize they're losing lots of range in a single day?

If I didn't find anything I was going to contact service. Tesla service is probably going to get a lot of customers inquiring about this. I agree that this should have been defaulted to OFF.

I just discovered that the Smart Summon feature on V10 has a button next to it labeled “standby mode” When this is on, the car will not sleep so that it responds more quickly when you go to summon it. The problem is they default it to on. This will cause a fairly significant power drain similar to sentry mode. If you don’t want the drain, set it to off.

I hope no one updated to V10 while their car was parked somewhere for a long time! (Airport)

Yeah noticed the increase after 10.0 right away. I had been used to VD of about a mile a day -- no big deal. This went to 10 miles a day right after the upgrade which was cause for concern. Had an upcoming business trip, and crazy to have to charge to 100% when the airport is 35 miles away! Finally got around to checking here - thanks much for the post ... hope this setting was the culprit. Turned off, and will report back. Looks like we're all still a bit close to the "bleeding edge"! :cool:

Was hoping this was it for me ... but alas turned this to off and no change in my vampire mode drain, which went from 1-2 miles per night pre version 10.0 and the new auto summon magic. But I turned this off and no change. I do use Sentry at my home and last night turned it off and drain went back to 1 mile overnight (about 12 hours). Coincidentally just took 36.2.1 two nights ago but that does not seem to have made a difference at all. (Love Hold mode btw.) . Still wondering why Sentry is such a juice sucker post v10.0 :(:confused:

Just to add another data point. My s100d was parked at the airport, and had been loosing 5% a day due to summon standby. Started at 50% and am now down to 21%. Hoping it turns itself off at 20% or it will be bricked when I return. Never noticed the drain as I have excluded work and home, the two place that I park for a long time. Sadly, airport off site lot wasn’t within range of my favourite and it drained away. Definitely needs geo fencing or remote access control.

• Informative
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
It works out to be about 200watts of power, which is quite a high cost to pay. Rather unacceptable. Summon standby should only be activated for maybe a minute or so before you actually activate summon, having it active all the time is a waste and rather against Tesla’s mission. I hope this would be rectified shortly.

If you can figure out a way for the car to sent its one-minute-in-the-past self a notification that its owner will be about to try to use Summon, contact Tesla. And then contact the Nobel committee.
This can be somewhat done using the phone app and geo fencing. The Tesla app has background location, so only enable summon standby if you are less than 1 km/0.6 mile from the cars location.

With everything else turned off except Smart Summon Standby I lost 25 miles in 24 hours That’s crazy

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life