TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

V10 Vampire drain warning: check Summon “Standby Mode” setting in car

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by LGA737, Oct 2, 2019.

1. LGA737

LGA737 Member

I just discovered that the Smart Summon feature on V10 has a button next to it labeled “standby mode” When this is on, the car will not sleep so that it responds more quickly when you go to summon it. The problem is they default it to on. This will cause a fairly significant power drain similar to sentry mode. If you don’t want the drain, set it to off.

I hope no one updated to V10 while their car was parked somewhere for a long time! (Airport)

• Informative x 7
    • Like x 1
  2. Nguyenning

Nguyenning Member

I don't see anything saying "standby mode"...
    In the app under Summon?

3. LGA737

LGA737 Member

There’s a button under autopilot next to the summon button.

4. LGA737

LGA737 Member

The setting is in the car, not on the app.

• Like x 3
  5. FinallyGotMyM3

Thanks for letting me know. I was just noticing how much power drain I had overnight and while my car was parked during the day today. I’ll try changing the setting tomorrow. Thanks !!

6. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

YES!!! This is a SILLY decision. I had the same thought. Should be defaulted to OFF!!!

Should amend title to "V10 Vampire drain warning - Smart Summon Standby Mode defaults to ON"

• Love x 1
  7. kkillebrew

kkillebrew Banned

yea this one got by me too

8. kkillebrew

kkillebrew Banned

I notice that allowing summon to sleep removes the COME TO ME option from the app. Not a big deal I would rather keep the range.

9. Justmurr

Justmurr Member

I’m leaving mine turned on...at least until it gets cold...and another positive for having the LR battery.

10. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

I’ll never use the summon except to show it off. No need to keep the car awake.

I’d rather turn the bulb off in the room if it’s unoccupied. Even if I’ve already replaced those 100w bulbs with LED.

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 1
  11. nickID

nickID Member

Just to clarify, “Come to me” isn’t removed indefinitely. It’s just not available immediately after the car wakes. There’s a “warm up” period when standby mode is off. Once it’s warmed up, “come to me” will reappear on the app screen.

• Informative x 3
  12. TT97

TT97 Active Member

Will Standby Mode cause any more drain than it being on Sentry Mode? I’m guessing the systems it is using for sentry are the same systems on ready for Standby Mode.

13. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

No, I don’t think so. But I don’t use sentry mode either, unless parked someplace sketchy.

turning on the AC while packing up and getting ready to head to the car would also wake it up.

14. Misterbee

Misterbee Member

I just installed the latest update, 11.1. The standby mode box now has checkboxes to exclude home, work, and favorites rom standby mode.

• Informative x 2
  15. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

That’s helpful, but what about the poor sap that’s been successfully parking his/her Tesla at the airport for frequent multi-day business trips and doesn’t understand the change.

16. TT97

TT97 Active Member

It's still a small sample since it's only been five days and I have Sentry/Standby off at home and work but I was looking through TeslaFi and the vampire drain doesn't look much different with Standby than when it was just Sentry - looks like it is just under 1 mile loss per hour on so on an LR model, less than 8% for a full 24 hours. Standby will turn off if battery is under 20% in case of an extended trip.

It would be nice to see the option to turn off standby on the app just like having the option to turn off sentry (even better, I would like the option of having Standby on only if I have Sentry on - I always have Sentry on except at home and work - for a long trip I will turn off sentry at the parking lot and would want both to turn off in that case).

17. whatthe2

whatthe2 Active Member

Mines been at the airport since Monday and I haven’t noticed any change in the drain as any other week I leave it there. Which is every week.

• Informative x 1
  18. CCIE

CCIE Member

I was wondering why overnight vampire drain has been so bad. Thanks for the tip!

19. Nguyenning

Nguyenning Member

FYI not sure if this came with the new update, but it now says "EXCLUDE HOME, EXCLUDE WORK, EXCLUDE FAVORITES" with options to checkmark each when Standby Mode is enabled.

So vampire drain at home (if checkmarked) shouldn't be an issue.

20. DopeGhoti

DopeGhoti Active Member

They can add the airport parking lot to their Favorites, then.

• Like x 1