Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 is going to be HUGE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Teslacope has some more info on the holiday release:
2020.48.25 Official Tesla Software Update | Teslascope

Disclaimer: The following updates have not been confirmed by our team and thus may change entirely by the time we receive the actual release notes. Please take it with a grain of salt.

Driving Visualization Improvements
No further information has been provided at this time.

Scheduled Departure Improvements

Supercharger Display Improvements

Vehicle Information Improvements

Release Notes Redesign

New Games

• Solitare
  • A new game that is playable online.
And many more features.
As aforementioned, this is just a few features that have been provided to us.

They're going to have to maintain two codebases - HW2.0/HW2.5 likely running traditional 2D NNs, and the new NNs on HW3.0. I think although it seems like an easy answer, it's debatable whether they would run a third version - new NNs but non-FSD functionality for cars with HW3.0 but without the FSD license to do traditional AP stuff. There's not much incentive for them to continue to iterate on AP functionality and smoothness for folks who didn't buy up to FSD (or at least EAP). In either case, I'm confident that if there is a public holiday release in the next few days, regardless of version number, it won't be running the new FSD code.
As a software development leader, I would think FSD software on HW3 without self-driving enabled is a more efficient path for Tesla. Use the exact same software no matter what features you have, and just toggle them based on what the user has paid for. In this way all HW3 users will get the same improvements and bugfixes. And it won't bring problems in the future if Tesla brings in new hardware, that with this way only has to work with FSD software (no backporting to HW2).

HW2 and HW2.5 requires different software at a fundamental level. I think this will be frozen pretty much as it is, like AP1 cars. Rolling the old software into HW3 cars was just a temporary bridge until the new FSD software was ready, it will likely not be a permanent solution.

Reactions: ehacke
They're going to have to maintain two codebases - HW2.0/HW2.5 likely running traditional 2D NNs, and the new NNs on HW3.0. I think although it seems like an easy answer, it's debatable whether they would run a third version - new NNs but non-FSD functionality for cars with HW3.0 but without the FSD license to do traditional AP stuff. There's not much incentive for them to continue to iterate on AP functionality and smoothness for folks who didn't buy up to FSD (or at least EAP). In either case, I'm confident that if there is a public holiday release in the next few days, regardless of version number, it won't be running the new FSD code.

I don't think so. From the hacking that Green did, it seems like it is one single codebase. Tesla has the ability to toggle on or off individual features. So Tesla can just toggle off the FSD parts in AP2 or AP2.5 cars that don't have FSD.

I have been confused about this issue since getting our Tesla this past June: how does the numbering system work for Tesla updates? "2020.48.25" does not have "11" or "10" in the numbering. Is this just the number for the release, with the basic software version number indicated elsewhere? And if so, where? Does 2020.48.25 give you V11?

I come to this with familiarity for years with Apple software, where the release number includes the software version number. I.e., I am currently typing this on a Mac with running Catalina 10.15.7. (I know, I know I have to upgrade to Big Sur 11.0 soon. :p).

924Gepy.jpg

I'm not excited about this at all so far.....

I have been confused about this issue since getting our Tesla this past June: how does the numbering system work for Tesla updates? "2020.48.25" does not have "11" or "10" in the numbering. Is this just the number for the release, with the basic software version number indicated elsewhere? And if so, where? Does 2020.48.25 give you V11?

I come to this with familiarity for years with Apple software, where the release number includes the software version number. I.e., I am currently typing this on a Mac with running Catalina 10.15.7. (I know, I know I have to upgrade to Big Sur 11.0 soon. :p).

2020 = year
48 = week
25 = version number
digit after that is a batch number

I think the version number and batch number are just going to depend on the development of that particular software update. How many iterations and batches did it take to reach the update that they deploy.

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier
2020 = year
48 = week
25 = version number
digit after that is a batch number

I think the version number and batch number are just going to depend on the development of that particular software update. How many iterations and batches did it take to reach the update that they deploy.

Thanks but I must say that I am still a bit confused. Does that mean version 11? (I feel like a character in 'Spinal Tap' in asking that.) And don't get me started about my confusion about the various numbers associated with electric vehicle charging rates (see numerous other threads). That's the sound of air rushing over my head.

Thanks but I must say that I am still a bit confused. Does that mean version 11? (I feel like a character in 'Spinal Tap' in asking that.) And don't get me started about my confusion about the various numbers associated with electric vehicle charging rates (see numerous other threads). That's the sound of air rushing over my head.

No.

"V11" is the software version. "2020.48.25" is the ID number of a particular software update.

So for example Tesla might release a bunch of updates each month say "2020.12", "2020.16", "2020.24" etc... Those updates might be improvements for what Tesla still considers the same software version say "V10". Then Tesla might release what they consider to be a completely new software version called "V11". An update like "2020.52" might be the update that contains the new software version called "V11". (Those are arbitrary numbers to make a point, I am not saying that 2020.52 will contain V11.)

I hope that makes sense.

If you look at your software screen in your car it will tell you. It will say something like "V10.2 2020.48.25.12". That is telling you that you are on software version 10.2 and update 2020.48.25.12

• Informative
Reactions: chinney
Do people actually play the games? I think they are horrible. Unless they add pubg or call of duty a new game is meh.

I'd rather see the nav get updated to be more like waze.

Occasionally, I play the chess game because I love chess but that is it. I find the arcade games dumb. I wish they would focus more on driving features.

Do people actually play the games? I think they are horrible. Unless they add pubg or call of duty a new game is meh.

I find the whole arcade section useless. If I’m supercharging, I just go to the nearby shops or Netflix. I’d rather that whole section just be removed to free up memory/space and make Netflix etc run more efficient

I play the games in the car sometimes...the racing game is fun and Cuphead is amazing (have you played Cuphead?). The only way to be able to play games like COD is through a streaming service like Xbox’s gamepass or google Stadia. The challenge with that is bandwidth, we would need great wifi or a stronger internet connection.

In all I don’t think this feature was meant to be like a dedicated gaming device. Fun/quick games that you can easily get in and out of is sufficient IMO. Games like Cuphead, Tetris, beach buggy, chess, checkers, Cat Quest etc...are perfect for those situations.

I find the whole arcade section useless. If I’m supercharging, I just go to the nearby shops or Netflix. I’d rather that whole section just be removed to free up memory/space and make Netflix etc run more efficient
Wow...what a selfish post lol. Some people enjoy the game’s, and it’s nice to have a variety of things to enjoy in the car. My neighbors kids sometime ask me if they can play games, and when I’m on a trip I enjoy them as well.

Reactions: DanCar and dmurphy