Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 is going to be HUGE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand that people dont like the $2500. IMO its a bargain and super cool Tesla even allows this. every other car companies CURRENt entertainment /navigation cant match MCU1. No other company allows u to upgrade to get your car current. They tell you to go buy a new car. The $2500 is cheap in comparison.
Absolutely correct. I don't get it either. One would think that Tesla is making it mandatory for everyone to buy MCU2.

Hey folks, you don't like paying $2500, then don't. Simple.

I’d like navigation and the driving UI to be better.

It’s OK at the moment, but when the beautiful screen forms such a large part of the car, it could be better.

Some really easy wins include announcing when you are being re-routed for a quicker journey. Google does this, says how much time it is saving you and gives you the option to reject the new route. Ive always liked this - it’s a good feeling to think the system is looking out for you.

Tesla on the other hand just reroutes silently. Yesterday it went from instructing me to turn left to instructing me to turn right on the basis of a change in route, but it almost looked glitchy because it failed to announce a change had been made deliberately.

I’d also like to be able to view the consumption graph at the same time as navigation. The Trip consumption chart in particular is a very useful tool in assessing real range. I don’t know why this has to be buried in the menus and then block out the map. A smaller version alongside the maps would be great.

I don't see this ever happening. Apple & Google did it & it took a lot of work to "make it secure". They didn't have to worry about the security of a heavy vehicle moving and security.

That said, if they release an SDK I'll grab it off Github.

Very locked down could be pay us $50k for the privilege of listing your app in our store. Means only those with the resources to write secure apps eg netflix, spotify, google etc will ever put anything in there.

Also, bluetooth keyboard + Google docs/office 365 apps could become possible, that could be an immense feature for a lot of business users once FSD is a reality.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Anybody think that V11 will come at around Sept 22? We know V10 came out around the same time last year. And Sept 22 is the shareholder meeting. I think Tesla will want to be able to make a big announcement about V11 at the meeting. I think it is very possible that we will see V11 around Sept 22.
Nope, I think it will be end of October or closer to Thanksgiving.

edit to add my reasoning: Tesla/Elon likes to have news that create buzz spread out over time. Battery Day will be enough for a few weeks time.

Maybe another peak voltage drop and supercharging nerf to push a few more folks off the cliff. Tesla needs more loaners so it's a win-win. :D

True. I'm already hanging with one foot over that cliff, just waiting for a nudge. I mean the car is just sitting for months. I'm sure there is someone out there who would be happier with it than I am...

Anybody think that V11 will come at around Sept 22? We know V10 came out around the same time last year. And Sept 22 is the shareholder meeting. I think Tesla will want to be able to make a big announcement about V11 at the meeting. I think it is very possible that we will see V11 around Sept 22.

I can already smell the vapors.

The timetable Elon gave puts it after mid October. Those dates tend to be very optimistic and never have been pessimistic.

I can already smell the vapors.

I know Elon is too optimistic.

To be fair, I am not suggesting that we will get the 4D rewrite or "turning at intersections" by Sept 22. That seems very unlikely. I am suggesting we might get V11 by Sept 22. Tesla could release V11.0 with just a couple games and some cute FSD visualizations on Sept 22. I just think that Tesla will try to release something on Sept 22 to create good PR.

I am suggesting we might get V11 by Sept 22.
That is the opposite of holding your cards close to the chest.

Sept 22nd already has huge things happening:
  • Shareholder meeting (which with Q&A can go anywhere and everywhere)
  • Battery Investor Day - which we have been waiting for over a year (announced last annual shareholder meeting)

... I just think that Tesla will try to release something on Sept 22 to create good PR.
In case you haven't figured out how things work at Tesla yet, let me enlighten you.
Elon takes the most optimistic estimate possible from anyone on the autopilot team. Sometimes he just sets hard deadlines and expects the team to meet them. To add pressure, Elon announces these fictitious dates to the world. When the date isn't met, he is irate at the team and strongly suggests they work the weekends until it is finished. I was told something like this from a former autopilot employee.

Last edited: