Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V3 supercharging shorten battery life?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. I am not sure of your premise that it is harmful to battery. Very early modelS that was true but tesla not decreasing the supercharger rates on modelS after revisions of battery pack
2. I personally would not want to wait behind some one at a supercharger decreasing the charge rate to their car. If your concerned, without any info from tesla perhaps you can use level2 chargers from other companie

Supercharging is bad for the battery while it is convenient and even necessary when you are traveling long distances.

Now V3 supercharging is available, Tesla should allow the owner to select the lower charging rate if he decides 250kw charging is not needed.

While V3 is fast, it is also more harmful to the longevity of our batteries.
Your statement has many assumptions. Just exactly how much does V3 degrade battery vs V2 for, say, 100 uses? Do you have any supporting data to answer that? I'll bet Tesla has some data....

My thoughts are let’s wait and see how long it takes V3 supercharging to be widely available before we worry about any side effects.

I haven’t heard a thing about any new stations with V3 available.

I think you are exaggerating with your basic premise supercharging is bad for the battery.

Tesla has done a boatload of homework and development on this stuff, they are not going to roll out something like this if it is "bad" for the battery.

I have every confidence they know the effects and are confident the difference will be negligible in the life of a car.

I know the "true believers" here will tell you a Tesla will go a million miles or more but other than the battery and motor it is just another car and engine/transmission failure are NOT the primary reason cars go to the junkyard. Cars endup nickel and dimeing folks to the point where they give up fixing them. Same is going to happen to Tesla's and if the battery is at 85% original capacity vs 87% at that point after 200k due to quicker charging it won't matter one bit.

Besides it is extremely rare for one owner to hand on to a car from new to the end of it's useful life.

Reactions: preilly44
Current mileage records are over 500,000 miles. These cars ONLY Supercharge. I'd suggest drawing your own conclusions.
And while considering that yes there are ICE used the same way that see those mileages too despite the delusions of many here. Just because YOU never kept a car that long doesn't mean the car won't do it. Autotrader has an article from 2016 about the Ford Escape Hybrid being a favorite taxi in NYC which is a nasty climate and roads closed to CA and one of them was over 560k.

This is not a knock on Tesla, love mine just feel too many here convince themselves Tesla is magical, the drivetrain is different but a lot of the rest of the car is just another car.

• Helpful
Reactions: Leafdriver333
Current mileage records are over 500,000 miles. These cars ONLY Supercharge. I'd suggest drawing your own conclusions.

Miles is only one element.
Cycles is another thing to consider.
And also how many days.
If that car did 500k miles in 700 supercharger cycles over 2 years and ended up with 80% capacity, I would be suspicious that's what would happen if I did 50k miles in 700 supercharger cycles over 2 years. Miles to me is less significant than number of cycles in a given time.

I don't want 80% capacity in two years.

Miles is only one element.
Cycles is another thing to consider.
And also how many days.
If that car did 500k miles in 700 supercharger cycles over 2 years and ended up with 80% capacity, I would be suspicious that's what would happen if I did 50k miles in 700 supercharger cycles over 2 years. Miles to me is less significant than number of cycles in a given time.

I don't want 80% capacity in two years.
Don’t know where you got the 700 supercharging episodes from, but those miles came from driving between LA and Las Vegas continually, all with supercharging. That’s many times more than 700 supercharging sessions. Anyway, it wouldn’t be possible to only drive 50,000 miles with 700 supercharging sessions— that’s only 71 miles per session.

You’re so concerned about Tesla’s battery in all of your posts, maybe this car isn’t for you. Forget your Leaf experience, chill out, stop obsessing over the battery, and just enjoy your car.

And especially stop thinking about cycles. You don’t understand what a charging cycle is and your misunderstanding is causing undue anxiety.

Don’t know where you got the 700 supercharging episodes from, but those miles came from driving between LA and Las Vegas continually, all with supercharging. That’s many times more than 700 supercharging sessions. Anyway, it wouldn’t be possible to only drive 50,000 miles with 700 supercharging sessions— that’s only 71 miles per session.

You’re so concerned about Tesla’s battery in all of your posts, maybe this car isn’t for you. Forget your Leaf experience, chill out, stop obsessing over the battery, and just enjoy your car.

And especially stop thinking about cycles. You don’t understand what a charging cycle is and your misunderstanding is causing undue anxiety.
I love my Tesla.
I like to obsess about the battery.
Elon simplified it for the people who do not want to worry about the battery. I am not one of them.
After 3 years it may not have made any difference by what I do or others do with charging routine.
But I enjoy obsessing over it.
We are all new in this EV craze and only the time will tell.

BTW, after 3 years, my iPhone se battery was at still 89% capacity.

Light bulb life is rated by number of hours it is used.
Lithium battery life is rated by number of of charging cycles.
Every time you discharge and charge the reversible chemical reaction happens and there are only limited number of cycles and each time it dies a little.

Last edited:
Every time you discharge and charge the reversible chemical reaction happens and there are only limited number of cycles and each time it dies a little.
Sort of.

Even if it's never charged or discharged and kept at a storage 50% level, it will still degrade over time.

The depth of cycle makes a big difference. Small cycles extend the life. A battery with a life of 600 cycles, means 600 0-100% cycles. The same battery might get 6,000 50% cycles or 60,000 25% cycles. (Numbers are for illustration of the idea only, I don't think anyone has the actual numbers outside of Tesla)

The rate of charge makes a difference, but the way the SC reduces the rate as the battery fills means that it's always less than 1C over 50%, and it never approaches a damaging 4C (or even 3C).

Now, will being extra careful extend the life? Probably. Will the extension of the life be material? Questionable in my opinion.

A 72 kW urban supercharger will be good if you want to charge slower (7 kW at home even better, C/10)

When I get a 3, I plan to usually stay within 40 and 80%, and if the software allows it, daily topup to a fixed hibernation voltage level of about 3.8 V per cell (approx 60%) when I don't need much range, to preserve the long range battery capacity for when I do want to road trip it.

Keeping the battery cool if you can will also help increase the life (and not flooring it below 40%?)

Accubattery on android shows 75-45% is 12% of a wear cycle for the 30% depth of discharge -- notifies to pull the plug.

Ok but none of those vehicles are over 500K miles as @ewoodrick claimed, only two of those vehicles give any details about anything including battery degradation, the first one has had two batteries replaced, not really a great example to prove the theory, and the second one had degraded 12.6%.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Supercharging is bad for the battery while it is convenient and even necessary when you are traveling long distances.

Now V3 supercharging is available, Tesla should allow the owner to select the lower charging rate if he decides 250kw charging is not needed.

While V3 is fast, it is also more harmful to the longevity of our batteries.

Good example of a claim without data. What is your evidence base? Do you have any other than just a supposition that fast charging is intrinsically bad?