Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V4 superchargers Netherlands

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a suspicion (I could be wrong, though) that the rating plate in the photo is for the stall, not the cabinet
It's definitely a data plate from the stall and not the cabinet. The cabinets are all V3 and the data plates on them look completely different.

Unfortunately the authors of that article aren't very clued up and they have simply taken the stall max current rating and maximum voltage rating an multiplied them together. As you say that's typically NOT how it works in the real world.

It's all a bit wishful thinking.

Reactions: Adopado
That is the rating plate for the V4 Supercharger post. That post is hooked to V3 Supercharger cabinets, and the rating plate on it says that it is still limited to ~450v and ~250kW.

Eventually there will be V4 cabinets as well that support higher charge rates.
Probably best to think of this as "Tesla redesigned the stalls to allow better support for third party charging, while they were at it, they decided they might as well rate them to 800v so they have options for the future".

Probably best to think of this as "Tesla redesigned the stalls to allow better support for third party charging, while they were at it, they decided they might as well rate them to 800v so they have options for the future".
Yeah we won’t see any “v4” SuC cabinets capable of 400-1000v outputs until Tesla release a vehicle that requires this architecture.

They certainly won’t be doing it so Taycan and Genesis owners can obtain a superior rate of charge on SuC better than Tesla vehicles. That’s for sure.

Yeah we won’t see any “v4” SuC cabinets capable of 400-1000v outputs until Tesla release a vehicle that requires this architecture.

They certainly won’t be doing it so Taycan and Genesis owners can obtain a superior rate of charge on SuC better than Tesla vehicles. That’s for sure.
" SuC cabinets capable of 400-1000v outputs" can come a long time before over 400v is enabled in the Supercharger software.

The V4 posts have larger diameter wiring capable of higher amperage once the cabinet intervals are upgraded. It is the same gauge as the internal DC-DC bus wiring.
What’s the size / gauge of the conductors?

PhoenixContact supply a lot of the HPC manufacturers like Alpitronic (Fastned 300 kW units amongst others).

Some of their top rated CCS2 cable will “boost” up to 500A and up to 500 kW, but otherwise the max rate is 375kW currently…

Quite staggering amounts of power handled by mom and pop 😅

What’s the size / gauge of the conductors?

PhoenixContact supply a lot of the HPC manufacturers like Alpitronic (Fastned 300 kW units amongst others).

Some of their top rated CCS2 cable will “boost” up to 500A and up to 500 kW, but otherwise the max rate is 375kW currently…

Quite staggering amounts of power handled by mom and pop 😅
1683284079220.png

From US-spec plans but assume they’d need similar wire size for similar current. Poat-Alt is V4. 430A vs 350A. 350kw vs 285kw. This is 90C rating while cables are underground so might get uprated a bit but looks to be close to current max of 350kw without doubling voltage to get to 500-700kw.

View attachment 934757
From US-spec plans but assume they’d need similar wire size for similar current. Poat-Alt is V4. 430A vs 350A. 350kw vs 285kw. This is 90C rating while cables are underground so might get uprated a bit but looks to be close to current max of 350kw without doubling voltage to get to 500-700kw.
Oh I thought you meant the cabling in the gun rather than cabinet to the post.

Oh I thought you meant the cabling in the gun rather than cabinet to the post.
Gun is liquid cooled so without the cooling specs, there is no idea how much power they can run through the supercharger cables. With V3, the wires from the cabinet to the post were only designed to handle 250kw so it wouldn’t matter how much the cabinet could provide to the post if the cables were insufficient to handle that. Now they are increasing them to at least get to 350kw like some of the CCS DCFC. Switching to 800V will enable double the KW.

Gun is liquid cooled so without the cooling specs, there is no idea how much power they can run through the supercharger cables. With V3, the wires from the cabinet to the post were only designed to handle 250kw so it wouldn’t matter how much the cabinet could provide to the post if the cables were insufficient to handle that. Now they are increasing them to at least get to 350kw like some of the CCS DCFC. Switching to 800V will enable double the KW.
Tesla are going 800V? Really!?

Not yet but to enable MW charging, it is the most likely way. Maybe the Semi is 800V, but it is not public information yet.
Yep. Longer term >800V is the only way to get high power into these packs, otherwise cables become unwieldy and expensive. It's exactly the same as the grid. the higher voltage you go the smaller cross-section of cable that you need.

Question for Tesla will be when and how they make the step change. Yhey are tied into legacy 400V in their passenger cars at the moment. The semi no doubt will be quite a bit different.

Yep. Longer term >800V is the only way to get high power into these packs, otherwise cables become unwieldy and expensive. It's exactly the same as the grid. the higher voltage you go the smaller cross-section of cable that you need.

Question for Tesla will be when and how they make the step change. Yhey are tied into legacy 400V in their passenger cars at the moment. The semi no doubt will be quite a bit different.
They will just use converters in the cabinets. They can send 400v at a max amperage when requested or 800v at whatever that max amperage is.

They will just use converters in the cabinets. They can send 400v at a max amperage when requested or 800v at whatever that max amperage is.
All 800V-capable chargers do this already. In fact all DC chargers are variable voltage, and the car tells the charger what voltage it wants - which isn't a fixed 400V or 800V but depends on the type of battery, state of charge, etc.

The problem is the other way round - if you have an 800V battery in the car and the charger can't output more than 400V then the car wouldn't be able to charge at all. Cars like the Taycan get round this by having a converter in the car, which converts the 400V from the charger to the 800V that the battery needs. Even if Tesla were to relatively quickly update the entire SC network to be 800V capable (which is no small feat), for the foreseeable future you still need to be able to charge from legacy 50kW rapid chargers (which invariably are limited to 400V) so this adds complexity, additional parts, and additional cost to the car - which is anathema to Tesla.

Last edited:
Reactions: ringi
Yes, I was just commenting that Tesla wasn’t really “tied into legacy 400V in their passenger cars” as Sean said and answered “how they’d make the step change”. Hopefully it is as easy as swapping 800V converters into the existing V3 cabinets and it won’t require a different cabinet layout like the V2 to V3 change (which was t voltage related, I know).

Yes, I was just commenting that Tesla wasn’t really “tied into legacy 400V in their passenger cars” as Sean said and answered “how they’d make the step change”. Hopefully it is as easy as swapping 800V converters into the existing V3 cabinets and it won’t require a different cabinet layout like the V2 to V3 change (which was t voltage related, I know).
My point, though, is that like all manufacturers, they kind of are tied in to the 400V industry legacy (as far as the cars are concerned). Unless they really don't mind giving up the ability to charge from legacy DC rapid chargers - and I mean not being able to use them at all - then 800V complicates the car and adds expense.

I think this is the main reason you don't see many 800V vehicles.

All 800V-capable chargers do this already. In fact all DC chargers are variable voltage, and the car tells the charger what voltage it wants - which isn't a fixed 400V or 800V but depends on the type of battery, state of charge, etc.

The problem is the other way round - if you have an 800V battery in the car and the charger can't output more than 400V then the car wouldn't be able to charge at all. Cars like the Taycan get round this by having a converter in the car, which converts the 400V from the charger to the 800V that the battery needs. Even if Tesla were to relatively quickly update the entire SC network to be 800V capable (which is no small feat), for the foreseeable future you still need to be able to charge from legacy 50kW rapid chargers (which invariably are limited to 400V) so this adds complexity, additional parts, and additional cost to the car - which is anathema to Tesla.
I get your point but then why Tesla is trying to update it to V4?