Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V7.0 and Aftermarket Mobileye for "Classic"MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of us with a model s that is pre-auto pilot, one way to get some additional safety functionality is to do an aftermarket mobileye install that hooks into things like high beams and brakes on the MS. The problem is that with previous MS software updates, tesla has changed the software "hooks" that mobileye uses to get into your MS, making the mobileye inoperable until a workaround is installed by your mobileye dealer.
If you have an aftermarket mobileye in your car, have you installed v7.0 yet? If so, any problems?

Adding to brooklynrab:

How much does classic MS owners with mobileye have to pay after the initial installation to get updated to v7?

In other words Mobileye is good technology but in other threads MS owners were complaining that they had to go back to the installer when TM introduces OTA updates

I have Mobileye and V7 and everything still works. In the past, when Tesla was doing updates, they would change some of the CAN signals, which would necessitate a software update to Mobileye. So far, this has not occurred for several updates.

I have a 2012 Sig. Do you like the mobileEye? I've read about it and am of split opinion. I like the emergency braking feature but am not sure the 'nagging' about close following etc. wouldn't make me crazy.

(I base the 'nagging' comment on having ridden in multiple taxis with MobileEye where the driver studiously IGNORED the constant beeps and warnings)

+1 I have had my Mobileye and have not had any issues since they stopped changing the CAN signals. I love the Mobileye and my Goshers

I have Mobileye and V7 and everything still works. In the past, when Tesla was doing updates, they would change some of the CAN signals, which would necessitate a software update to Mobileye. So far, this has not occurred for several updates.

I have a 2012 Sig. Do you like the mobileEye? I've read about it and am of split opinion. I like the emergency braking feature but am not sure the 'nagging' about close following etc. wouldn't make me crazy.

(I base the 'nagging' comment on having ridden in multiple taxis with MobileEye where the driver studiously IGNORED the constant beeps and warnings)

I drove a loaner without AP and felt very insecure: I really missed the auto headlights and the forward collision warning. The Mobileye does not actually have emergency braking, but rather it activates the brake switch momentarily, which causes cruise control to be disengaged. All the settings can be adjusted (or disabled) so as to minimize nagging. The closeness setting is independent of the imminent collision setting, which has always gone off about the same time I was going to apply brakes, so it seems to be pretty accurate. I also like the speed limit warning. It has helped me remember not to exceed the speed limit after accelerating from a traffic light.

Since the bulk of Autopilot is based on Mobileye technology, it would have been nice if Tesla spent a little bit of time with Mobileye to create an aftermarket product for the classic cars. Since Tesla had to develop all of this code for Autopilot and make it work with Mobileye's system, how hard would it be to allow Mobileye's aftermarket product to work through our 17" screen? Now THAT would have shown a commitment to classic owners.

V7.0 and Aftermarket Mobileye for "Classic"MS

For those of us with a model s that is pre-auto pilot, one way to get some additional safety functionality is to do an aftermarket mobileye install that hooks into things like high beams and brakes on the MS. The problem is that with previous MS software updates, tesla has changed the software "hooks" that mobileye uses to get into your MS, making the mobileye inoperable until a workaround is installed by your mobileye dealer.
If you have an aftermarket mobileye in your car, have you installed v7.0 yet? If so, any problems?

Upgraded to 7 on my classic - MobileEye works fine.

Big +1 to AmpedRealtor.
BTW, i tried repeatedly to send an email to tesla through "Contact" on the Tesla Motors webpage today, begging them for a "Classic" view vs 7.0 view toggle switch in settings, and it looks like their servers are hung up or they are not taking comments. When decide to fix that I will cut and paste your post about the aftermarket mobileye support.

Big +1 to AmpedRealtor.
BTW, i tried repeatedly to send an email to tesla through "Contact" on the Tesla Motors webpage today, begging them for a "Classic" view vs 7.0 view toggle switch in settings, and it looks like their servers are hung up or they are not taking comments. When decide to fix that I will cut and paste your post about the aftermarket mobileye support.

I tried to send them comments as well, but I get a spinning circle after hitting submit and it never finishes. I wrote a really long, thoughtful comment which was lost.