Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v9.0 Dashcam - why only 2.5?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, AP2.5 is said to have more color-channels than AP2 in some of its cameras (repeaters at least) - not sure about any differences in the forward-looking ones though. We had the part-numbers somewhere too, this has been discussed on the Autonomous Vehicles sub-forum. @verygreen? @lunitiks?
It’s more than said. AP2.0 is rccc, AP2.5 is rccb. This goes for all cams (except BUC of course)

ape 2.5 buc connections:

APE25_pinout.jpg

You mean AP2.0?

AP1 has the BUC plugged directly into mcu. (No ape computer in the glovebox.)

AP2.0 looks the same as AP2.5 except for those purple connectors. So just blue in, and black out to mcu

Sorry, yes I meant AP 2.0. What you posted is super useful. Thank you.

So do you feel with the AP 3.0 "computer upgrade" the dash cam feature will be possible with AP 2.0 cars or is there something about the AP 2.0 cameras that will prevent that feature from being available?

Sorry, yes I meant AP 2.0. What you posted is super useful. Thank you.

So do you feel with the AP 3.0 "computer upgrade" the dash cam feature will be possible with AP 2.0 cars or is there something about the AP 2.0 cameras that will prevent that feature from being available?
No clue about that. Maybe Tesla simply went with the camera with the prettiest looking footage (narrow, rccb) :D

Still it seems better to get an aftermarket front and rear dashcam system. Blackvue DR900s can already do 4K 30 frames and I bet we are within a year of seeing 4K 60 frame dashcams with much better chance of reading license plates.

What would be a game changer for dashcams is if Tesla also activates the side cameras so you have a full 360 representation which is very hard to do now with aftermarket cameras.

The same assembly m8, I'm just showing the opposite sides of it. (APE has connections on both sides.)

I know, it's confusing that they put a cable from one side to the other

I don't get the cable either. AP2.5 has two Parker SoC so you do you think this is for a signal that needs go to both of them? I don't get why it's external versus on the PCB.

Have you created a simplified schematic of the camera attachments on an AP2.5 vehicle?

Does an MCU2 vehicle (S/X/3) have the camera cable that runs from the APE to the MCU?

I'm asking because supposedly the Model 3 has its rear view camera feed provided by a compressed feed generated by the APE, and sent over the Ethernet bus. The same way the dash cam video is compressed and sent over the Ethernet.

if it's provided via the Ethernet bus then the APE->MCU rearview cable isn't even needed.

Plus I don't see Tesla creating ISP drivers for it on the Intel architecture.

I don't get the cable either. AP2.5 has two Parker SoC so you do you think this is for a signal that needs go to both of them? I don't get why it's external versus on the PCB.
Me neither. Someone has to look closer at that hardware splitter. Unfortunately I don't have any details on it yet.

Have you created a simplified schematic of the camera attachments on an AP2.5 vehicle?
No, haven't got around to it. I just look at Tesla's. )

Does an MCU2 vehicle (S/X/3) have the camera cable that runs from the APE to the MCU?
Well yeah. MCU2 has the exact same BUC input connector. And here's M3's ape>mcu cable connector:

ice_buccable2.jpg

(screenshot from ingineerix yt-vid)

ice_buccable3.jpg

(ebay)

ice_buccable.jpg

(epc)

I'm asking because supposedly the Model 3 has its rear view camera feed provided by a compressed feed generated by the APE, and sent over the Ethernet bus. The same way the dash cam video is compressed and sent over the Ethernet.
Looks like M3 has the camera feed sent from the APE-board to the MCU-board through an ethernet cable, yes. (See pics above.)

Me neither. Someone has to look closer at that hardware splitter. Unfortunately I don't have any details on it yet.

No, haven't got around to it. I just look at Tesla's. )

Well yeah. MCU2 has the exact same BUC input connector. And here's M3's ape>mcu cable connector:

View attachment 349976
(screenshot from ingineerix yt-vid)

View attachment 349978
(ebay)

View attachment 349979
(epc)

Looks like M3 has the camera feed sent from the APE-board to the MCU-board through an ethernet cable, yes. (See pics above.)

I'm thinking of an easy to understand Visio like diagram.

Something similar to what's on this website.

Hacking a Tesla Model S: What we found and what we learned

I might try creating one with Visio, but the first one will likely be wrong. :p

Last edited: