Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v9 2019.8.5.3aaa23d issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure what is going on, but my s100d has completely flaked out. I didn't receive a notification for an update, but I guess it tried to take one. Now, LTE doesn't work, all of my personal user data is gone, and the car thinks it's in Palo Alto.

I've soft and hard reset the car to no avail.

Anyone having similar issues?

I got the update last week and it was working fine. Then yesterday, I decided to do a factory reset because the car had just been added to my Tesla account, so I wanted a clean start.

The LTE disappeared, the car was at Tesla HQ on the screen and didn't move from there. I did a soft reset (steering wheel buttons) but it did another factory reset and lost all my data. After a few hours, everything came back to normal but with a couple of corrupted menus.

I did another soft reset (steering wheel buttons) but again it did a factory reset and lost all my data. LTE is back and location looks OK this time.

Thanks for the reply. Very similar experience. A couple of resets on it's own that wiped out all user data. I've forced a couple that have done the same. Tesla support is currently troubleshooting remotely.

Yep, that's what they said. LTE/GPS came back, but infotainment continues to reboot. I dropped it at the service center yesterday and they said they "found inconsistencies with the file structure that needed to be repaired". We shall see.

My spotify is now broken and if I do a two-wheel reset, I'll lose all my user data again so just gonna learn to live without it.

Dont just live with it. it's fixable. The service center had to "rebuild the file structure" on mine to fix the GPS/LTE/Reset issues. It's working fine now. Supposedly, they pulled logs (remotely) from my car and worked with corporate to review the logs and find the inconsistencies.

Im sitting at
V9 2019.8.5.3aaa23d

And car wants to update, last night.
What version is it likely going to land on, and what new pleasures come with that?

Wondering if i should sit tight..? As lately theres been more issues per release than benefits.

@4EVar good question on the warranty. I believe that my issue was *caused* by an update so that could be a gray area with regards to warranty work. I had zero issues until i took the update in my post title. It does bring up a good point though; If a car out of warranty is "software damaged" during an update, is it covered?

@scottm I took 2019.12.1.1 and it was mostly bug fixes I believe. For example, the infotainment rebooting randomly was a known issue in

v9 2019.8.5.3aaa23d and it has not done it since I updated to 12.1.1. Also, I got the lain departure avoidance option.

Yes, they tend to fix software issues even out of warranty. For free.

Could you imagine if they didn't?
In my experience, they don't fix software issues at all if they're issues with the actual software (not just with your car). I haven't had the energy to explore legal options, but I was looking into it.

If it's working for everyone else, yes, they will fix it.

I'm not sure what is going on, but my s100d has completely flaked out. I didn't receive a notification for an update, but I guess it tried to take one. Now, LTE doesn't work, all of my personal user data is gone, and the car thinks it's in Palo Alto.

I've soft and hard reset the car to no avail.

Anyone having similar issues?

Just purchased MS 75 CPO vehicle on 5/3, problem started on Sunday morning when I saw an error that the software installation failed. Later that day (approx. 1PM 5/5), both key fobs failed to function. Would not close, open or start the vehicle, was instructed to reboot the screen (both scroll buttons) and instrument display (both buttons above the scroll buttons), once these reboots completed, all of the driver profile settings and homelink setting were deleted and returned to the default state. The LTE continued to go from working to searching and effectively rendered the phone application useless. Also the GPS was not functioning appropriately as it indicated I was Tesla HQ in Palo Alto. Was able to get to one of my destinations and utilized the hotspot feature of my phone to be able to allow the car to connect to my phone via wifi to allow it to lock, unlock and start. Once I got home later that evening (approx. 7:30 PM) I rebooted both screens as described above and the LTE portion seemed to function again but all of my profiles were deleted again and the mobile connection to my hotspot was no longer saved. 5/6 the LTE has become intermittent again and prevented usage of the phone app to interact with the car.

Put in a support chat and the referenced me to the Service Center, put in a support request via Tesla Portal and called the guy who sold me the car as I thought the date of 5/23 was far off considering I just bought the car.

5/7 All of a sudden both key fobs are working correctly. No indications to me on whether it was something done remotely or how or why it resolved on it's on. No emails or phone calls from Tesla and the saleperson reached out and said, that support requests are reviewed for potential faster resolutions.

2019.8.5 3aaa23d

So, I thought I would make a post if someone is interested about what is happening exactly behind the scenes.

The way a factory reset works, is that the CID destroys the superblock on it's home partition, which contains all the user data.
What is supposed to happen, is that during boot, the CID is supposed to check if the partition is intact, and if not, it should reformat it.

In all 2019 firmware so far, this reformatting part doesn't work.
This is the command that runs to reformat the home partition and the error it returns:
Code:
# mkfs -T ext3 /dev/home-partition
mkfs.ext2: symbol lookup error: mkfs.ext2: undefined symbol: test_io_backing_manager

Since it can't reformat the home partition, it will result in /home staying unmounted and all of your user data going to ramdisk.
This also results in a lost cell APN, which will cause cell not to work in Europe and possibly some cars in NA.

The service center should be capable of fixing this issue remotely and has done it in my case.

Hopefully Tesla fixes this issue soon...

So, I thought I would make a post if someone is interested about what is happening exactly behind the scenes.

The way a factory reset works, is that the CID destroys the superblock on it's home partition, which contains all the user data.
What is supposed to happen, is that during boot, the CID is supposed to check if the partition is intact, and if not, it should reformat it.

In all 2019 firmware so far, this reformatting part doesn't work.
This is the command that runs to reformat the home partition and the error it returns:
Code:
# mkfs -T ext3 /dev/home-partition
mkfs.ext2: symbol lookup error: mkfs.ext2: undefined symbol: test_io_backing_manager

Since it can't reformat the home partition, it will result in /home staying unmounted and all of your user data going to ramdisk.
This also results in a lost cell APN, which will cause cell not to work in Europe and possibly some cars in NA.

The service center should be capable of fixing this issue remotely and has done it in my case.

Hopefully Tesla fixes this issue soon...
Thank you for the technical info. It is really interesting to see what is going on behind the scenes and makes a lot of sense when you explain it that way.

Dont just live with it. it's fixable. The service center had to "rebuild the file structure" on mine to fix the GPS/LTE/Reset issues. It's working fine now. Supposedly, they pulled logs (remotely) from my car and worked with corporate to review the logs and find the inconsistencies.
I took your advice and reported it to Tesla SC - they came back to me within the day and said it was a known issue and that they would apply a fix over the air in 24-28 hours, which was impressive. 4 days later and it was still an issue so I rang them back and they said diagnostics were still looking at it and that they hadn't determined the problem yet. Less impressive....

I had a screen freeze today and had to reboot and lost all my settings AGAIN!