Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 car detection issues...normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to determine if behavior on my Model 3 is normal or an issue. When I have a car(s) come along side me when passing or being passed, or at a stop, cars often go through my car on the display. When I am stopped at a light, cars along side me will often shake and also turn clockwise and counter-clockwise all while stopped. Often I hear an audible noise when this happens - my model 3 is telling me a car is close to mine as if I were going to hit it. While I've had Autopilot engaged, these things have caused the emergency alert to happen and I've had to take over to cause it from stopping for no reason.

Another issue I ran into was on a two lane freeway when a car in front of me began to exit. A new third lane broke off from the right lane of the freeway to create an off-ramp. When the car in front of me took the off-ramp (new lane) my car started to slam the breaks on and I went from 67 down to 50 almost instantly before I took over the wheel and sped the car back up. There was a car behind me and I'm sure they were wondering what the heck I was doing. I've had a lot of very bizarre things happen with Autopilot on (previous posts) and now with the combination of cars coming up on my screen shaking and going through my car I am really starting to think a sensor is not working correctly on my car. Has anyone else experience anything like this? Is all of this normal behavior and I should expect these things?

Somewhere I read that V9 changed from using the ultrasonic detection to using the side cameras for blind spot. This may be the reason why the images of the nearby cars jump around. I have 2 Model S, and both are showing the same symptom with V9. I hope none of the other features are similarly affected. It is very disconcerting, and I hope Tesla will fix this soon. Maybe I will avoid using the auto driving feature for now.

Since getting V9 I have cars jump around or disappear (or with big trucks, sometimes split into two trucks temporarily) on the display, almost entirely when they’re on the sides or just behind my car. But, I haven’t seen it affect the blind spot warning, Autopilot, or anything else.

I assumed this is mostly an issue with the visual depiction on the display, and probably to some extent the ongoing training of the vision models for the side cameras. So I expect it to improve with upcoming software updates (anybody’s guess on timeline, though).

Somewhere I read that V9 changed from using the ultrasonic detection to using the side cameras for blind spot. This may be the reason why the images of the nearby cars jump around. I have 2 Model S, and both are showing the same symptom with V9. I hope none of the other features are similarly affected. It is very disconcerting, and I hope Tesla will fix this soon. Maybe I will avoid using the auto driving feature for now.
The cars jumping around is normal. I notice this happens when a car is transitioning from one camera to another. Not only have I noticed vehicles jumping but also changing from one to another (ie. from a regular car to a motorcycle).

Proximity beeps are pretty normal - I've had the ultrasonic sensors freak out occasionally both on my 3 and an AP1 S that I drove for some time. I suspect some turbulent air or something like that as the cause, especially near the front of the car

The car images around you jumping around - just imagine the jitter seen in this video from data generated by older software, but mapped to a flat plane representing ground:

I'd expect this to stabilize over the course of the next updates.

You mentioned an "audible noise". What kind is it. The jittering images are not accompanied my any proximity beeps.

The noise is the proximity alert that happens when the car thinks it's about to be in a collision. I've on numerous occasions had the alert happen when cars are no where near me. Usually when I am speeding up toward a car or when they are slowing down. It has absolutely scared the crap out of me a couple times because it was so unexpected when it went off.

The noise is the proximity alert that happens when the car thinks it's about to be in a collision. I've on numerous occasions had the alert happen when cars are no where near me. Usually when I am speeding up toward a car or when they are slowing down. It has absolutely scared the crap out of me a couple times because it was so unexpected when it went off.

Early collision warning maybe? After getting a false positive almost daily on v8.1 even with the warning set to "late" I turned it off. I don't think it's related to v9 specifically

Early collision warning maybe? After getting a false positive almost daily on v8.1 even with the warning set to "late" I turned it off. I don't think it's related to v9 specifically
+1. False positives on curvy streets with parked cars with medium warning on pre-9, but "healed" with "late" warning, and with 9 it started happening even with "late" warning. Turned the FCW off completely.

Strange thing, same exact thing works absolutely flawlessly on Chrysler Pacifica for me. No false positives, warning goes off when it should, automatic braking applies when it should and prevents collision as it should. Looks like Tesla still needs to work on it.

+1. False positives on curvy streets with parked cars with medium warning on pre-9, but "healed" with "late" warning, and with 9 it started happening even with "late" warning. Turned the FCW off completely.

Strange thing, same exact thing works absolutely flawlessly on Chrysler Pacifica for me. No false positives, warning goes off when it should, automatic braking applies when it should and prevents collision as it should. Looks like Tesla still needs to work on it.

Glad to hear it's not just me getting false warnings. I had it happen this morning when I was changing lanes to make a pass. There was a car in front of me in the lane I was leaving and a car to my side that I was passing. The alert went off while I was changing lanes and scared the crap out of me. Thankfully I quickly checked my blind spots again and there was no reason for it going off so I continued into the lane with no problem and plenty of room.