Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 Shrink Nav? Split Screen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree, Rear view cam should be allowed on top. Use everyday driving on highway to help with lack of blind spot ability on the MX. Even for AP1 cars dont understand how they couldn't utilize the FWD sensors to show blind spot (red lane) when turn signal is enabled. Sad update

Reactions: Zero CO2
I really don't think it is that big of an issue:

As you can see, you can still easily use it in a sort of split screen mode. The only feature missing is the ability to have navigation on the bottom of your screen and the music player or rear view camera on top, but I'm pretty sure that Tesla has statistics on how many people actually use this setup.

You forgot the main feature missing: the ability to have any two apps visible at the same time. Navigation is now a forced app when previously you could have calendar and music for example.

You forgot the main feature missing: the ability to have any two apps visible at the same time. Navigation is now a forced app when previously you could have calendar and music for example.
Actually, I'd phrase it more that now the main screen IS navigation, and you can put some other app at the bottom floating on top of the giant navigation app. When you close everything else, you're stuck with navigation, like it or not.

Thanks, I will be escalating this as it seems I will be forced to update after xing out the last 2 days, there is a countdown timer that I cannot seem to stop for it to auto update.

Edit: oh wait, maybe that is just time left till the autoset time it defaults to :) Still escalated this.

Tesla replied today, they also pulled the update from my car so I dont have to be annoyed with xing out of it all the time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181010-072114_Email.jpg
    Screenshot_20181010-072114_Email.jpg
    505.9 KB · Views: 109
Actually, I'd phrase it more that now the main screen IS navigation, and you can put some other app at the bottom floating on top of the giant navigation app. When you close everything else, you're stuck with navigation, like it or not.

I don’t disagree. The navigation centric interface is terrible. Not that navigation itself is bed, it’s not. I typically drive with NAV running, map in the background, displayed on driver display and talking. Media and energy graph shown on the big display.

Now it is not possible to show energy and media simultaneously. V9 is really a step backwards. Highly disappointed.

At least it arrived first on my 2015 S, that I am still trying turn in. I can decline the update on my X.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Installed 9. So far my Web page for Waze no longer loads and web browser stays with a black screen, No front camera, Garage door opener stopped working and will not reprogram. Auto driver front door no longer opens or closes. Can't stop the Navigation screen from dominating the top half of the screen.
Other than that, so far, fine.

Tesla Waze and Homelink both function just the same as before V9. Navigation was always on top for us so we don’t have an issue there.

The only thing we would change is that it would maintain the last app you had open when you return to the car.

AP1 here.

We just received the V.9 update on our 2018 Tesla. We are very disappointed that we are no longer able to display the rear-view camera on top. We always have the camera on top and music/radio on the bottom. We almost never use the map. But with V.9, we're forced to always have the map visible, can't move the camera to the top, and can't have two information panels displaying at once (i.e., Camera, Media, Calendar, Phone, Browser, etc.)

We hope this downgrade to the user interface will be resolved in a future update. Many of the other V.9 changes we like, but not the camera placement or the removal of split-screen functionality.

Exactly this. I hate it, hate it, hate it. I never use the maps and now I'm forced to have the ugly maps up all the time? Who thought that was a good idea?

Having a 2013 pre-Autopilot Model S I always keep the backup camera on as the Model S has big blind spots. I always glance at the display in heavy traffic before changing lanes. For me the split screen is a necessity with backup camera on top and navigation on the bottom.

This is similar to how I used the screen for 5 years in my S and for the few months in my X until this UI update came up: rear view on top and energy on the bottom. I can still call up the rear view camera but it is stuck to the lower half and overlays the bottom half of nav picture instead of shrinking it the way it used to. I miss the ability to flip it to the upper half of the screen but I suppose I could get used to it. All the other apps, when chosen are also confined to the lower half. The bothersome thing is that you can't have 2 separate apps on at the same time. The nav screen does not go away. I have compromised by keeping the rear view camera on in the bottom half of the touchscreen and the energy graph in the left side of the dash.
I appreciate the full time nav screen when driving to unfamiliar areas, but on my memorized route between FL and IL, I'd much rather have the rear view camera for safety and the energy screen to monitor my power usage.
One feature which helps somewhat with the blind spots, if you have to replace the rear view with something else, is the image of vehicles coming up from behind on both left and right in the center dash.
Brain retraining needed.

We just received the V.9 update on our 2018 Tesla. We are very disappointed that we are no longer able to display the rear-view camera on top. We always have the camera on top and music/radio on the bottom. We almost never use the map. But with V.9, we're forced to always have the map visible, can't move the camera to the top, and can't have two information panels displaying at once (i.e., Camera, Media, Calendar, Phone, Browser, etc.)

We hope this downgrade to the user interface will be resolved in a future update. Many of the other V.9 changes we like, but not the camera placement or the removal of split-screen functionality.

The new Version 9.0 Tesla software upgrade solves a lot of problems and offers some wonderful additions to the Tesla driving experience.

However, there is one feature that should be traded in for the older model. Version 9.0 downgrades the big beautiful Tesla S and X touchscreens to the functionality of a VW navigation screen. Whereas the Tesla S and X screen itself measures 17 inches diagonally, the new upgrade reduces the actual operative screen size to a skimpy area at the bottom measuring about 9 inches.

Before 9.0 we could use the entire 17-inch screen for either 2 apps running at the same time, or one huge app expanded to full screen. Now Tesla only runs one app at a time down at the bottom of the touchscreen while the screen’s upper area constantly runs the navigator as a kind of background. And now as well, the buttons to launch apps are hidden behind another newly added button. The driver is now required to search and push, then search again, and push again.

Firstly:

An endlessly running navigator seems to use more battery energy. Before 9.0 the driver could shut off the navigator when not needed. Now the navigator is constantly re loading and re-drawing maps, performing location and other search functions such as traffic, surrounding businesses, vehicle charging station locations, and other information in a constant updating process. When needed, this is all very valuable. But when not needed it is a real drain on the energy budget and actually affects the range of the Tesla.

Secondly:

Reducing the screen to a one-app-at-a-time window means having to open and close apps twice as often. Before drivers with 2 apps running simultaneouslyneeded to open apps half as often. Now to achieve the same thing the driver must open a second app, obtain the information then re-open the first app to return to the original configuration. Plus, now with the app launch buttons hidden behind a second button, there is two times the button pushing. App opening and closing increases the distracted driving by a factor of 4 -- or 400%; twice the app opening and closing, times twice the button pushing. The process became four times as complex. The old way was much simpler. Then the driver remained more focused on the road. Now more app juggling and button pushing means more distracted driving.

Thirdly:

Before 9.0 the driver could increase the app to full screen. Then, it took far less time to focus and see information on the screen. Since the apps could be made bigger on the old big screen, it was also far easier to find a desired pressure point. Now the search occurs in a much smaller area. The driver must spend more time squinting, focusing, finding, and then pressing, missing and re-pressing a much smaller point, trying to find a much more reduced target. Since this requires more touchscreen focus, it also requires more distracted driving.

Fourthly:

It’s simply a gyp. Tesla S or X owners pay a hefty premium price for, among other things, a big beautiful 17-inch premium touch screen. That Tesla touchscreen really is the star of the show. Then suddenly it’s effectively reduced to the economy-car size of a VW navigator. The Tesla owner is left with a big useless screen displaying tiny little apps in a tiny little area at the bottom.

What a waste!

Please give us back the touchscreen functionality we had before the 9.0 update. Is it really that hard? Macs and PCs do this with the greatest of ease. There apps can be opened simultaneously and be sized and arranged side by side or one over the other.

· Let the driver shut off the navigator. Put it back into the list with the other apps to be open and closed by the driver.

· Just go back to the divided screen system, where two apps can be open at the same time; one on top the other on the bottom.

· Allow the apps to take over the entire screen again; no squinting and searching or fat finger button pushing.

· And un-hide the app buttons. Please put them back on the top level. Let’s return to one tap functionality.

And oh, yeah. If we are going to do the app-windows-on-a-background look, then how about letting us upload whatever image we’d like to use as our background?

Upgrades are great. But not at the cost of downgrades at the same time.

Item # 1 is incorrect. Just because you wernt showing navigation on the screen doesnt mean it was turned off. It was still processing where you were via GPS and loading the map tiles in the background.

I have even had a total system crash (apparently) with both screens dark. Yet the Nav was still talking to me. Saved my bacon once in an unfamiliar city.