Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vacation “rules”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To think you’re going to damage the battery because of charging at 8 kW rather than 4 kW is ridiculous. It’s designed to charge at over 100 kW at superchargers.

Look, I am just stating facts. The faster you charge, the more lithium dendrite growth you get. It is pure chemistry/physics/material science. Just because you can charge faster doesn't mean that it won't also degrade the battery faster. Will charging at 8kw instead of 4kw have a discernable impact on the lifespan if the pack? I don't have the data to answer the question, and neither do you.

Reactions: duanra
Look, I am just stating facts. The faster you charge, the more lithium dendrite growth you get. It is pure chemistry/physics/material science. Just because you can charge faster doesn't mean that it won't also degrade the battery faster. Will charging at 8kw instead of 4kw have a discernable impact on the lifespan if the pack? I don't have the data to answer the question, and neither do you.

I want to see data points and proof that charging faster rate would degenerate the batteries. I don’t see that from cars Tesla has that are supercharged as their main source.

I have been gone on my summer job for five weeks now. Left with 80% charge and now down to 64%, It is pluged into HPWC with charge level at 50%, but it has not made it to 50% yet. Perhaps the wall connector is adding some charge??? If not, leaving it at the airport dosen't seem like it would be a problem.

Look, I am just stating facts.
...partial facts.
The faster you charge, the more lithium dendrite growth you get. It is pure chemistry/physics/material science. Just because you can charge faster doesn't mean that it won't also degrade the battery faster. Will charging at 8kw instead of 4kw have a discernable impact on the lifespan if the pack? I don't have the data to answer the question, and neither do you.
That is not an entirely one way situation or linear. I just spent some time trying to find again the battery degradation study I had found before, but my Google-fu can't quite come up with the terms to get the right one. There is a factor of what you are saying, but there is a different factor that works in the opposite direction, and there is some crossover point that can vary in different battery chemistries a bit.

The dominant factor at "high" charge rates is the factor you are talking about, where higher = more dendrite growth.

But the other factor at "low" recharging rates is that dendrite growth continually happens during all of the time it spends in the recharging process, rather than in the "resting" type of phase of no connection or gradual discharging. So making it be in the recharging process for much longer can be detrimental. I did see a study on this that showed that if you try to go to an extreme and always think lower is better, and it ends up tripling, quadrupling, quintupling, etc. the amount of charge time, it can end up with more dendrite growth than if you just got the charging done in a shorter period of time, with a moderate charging speed, and then let it go back to resting sooner.

I don't have the exact numbers with the factors involved, knowing at what power level one factor is dominant over the other, or if there are some temperature conditions that would make one more of a factor than the other, etc. I'm just pointing out how it's not an entirely one way situation, where as slow as you can go is always better--it's not.