Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Valentine One hard mount/hardwired by Calibred

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Johnny from Calibred Customs came out to hard mount my Valentine One in my X...as always the best service. He previously installed my Blackvues and hard wired my mobile phone to the dash.

Quick note about radars: I live in SoCal...it's mostly CHP using KA band and not much else. You can still get zapped with laser, or paced and there's little to do about either unless you go for jammers which I am not interested in doing. Why drive above the speed limit when it kills range? Well, it's a fast car and just keeping up with traffic in general can lead to issues if you're the one they get - and with that huge frontal area it's an easy target.

Ok so, I ordered the hard mount from Blendmount on their site, there's only one Tesla model (think 001) and it fits both S and X apparently. He found a switched source right there so he didn't have to run cables like for the Blackvue. It sits nicely tucked in front of the rearview mirror and together with the Blackvue it's an nice tidy package. It turns on when the car is powered on and vice versa. Works great and has no interference from the autopilot system.

So that's it, looks great, installed perfectly as usual by Johnny huge thumbs up!
DSC08135.jpg
DSC08137.jpg
DSC08142.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: PAULL and ggnykk
I don't mean to be Debbie Downer, but have you checked to see how well your Valentine is working? I only ask because there are threads on here, admittedly from a long time ago, that indicate that no radar detector can work well through the Model S windshield. I realize that you installed your Valentine One in an X and not an S, but I had not heard that Tesla had changed whatever it was about the windshields that caused radar detectors to not work well from inside the cabin. Has there been a change? Are the X windshields different in that respect?

I hope it works out for you.

Yep all good, the X windshields don't have the same coatings...everything works through them, hov lane transmitters, garage sensors, radar detectors, etc. and it's the whole windshield the whole thing let's anything through. My V1 picked up CHP about 5 miles down the highway yesterday, works well :) We though have the infamous ghosting issues as our compromise (though mine is not noticeable).

I don't mean to be Debbie Downer, but have you checked to see how well your Valentine is working? I only ask because there are threads on here, admittedly from a long time ago, that indicate that no radar detector can work well through the Model S windshield. I realize that you installed your Valentine One in an X and not an S, but I had not heard that Tesla had changed whatever it was about the windshields that caused radar detectors to not work well from inside the cabin. Has there been a change? Are the X windshields different in that respect?

I hope it works out for you.

Yep all good, the X windshields don't have the same coatings...everything works through them, hov lane transmitters, garage sensors, radar detectors, etc. and it's the whole windshield the whole thing let's anything through. My V1 picked up CHP about 5 miles down the highway yesterday, works well :) We though have the infamous ghosting issues as our compromise (though mine is not noticeable).

I am surprised to hear that the Model X has a different coating than the Model S metallic coating that reduces radar range by 90%.
Are you sure that your range is not impacted? I gave up on using my V1 in the Model S and now use Waze for police locations :cool:
Tesla Traffic Incidents and Information

I am surprised to hear that the Model X has a different coating than the Model S metallic coating that reduces radar range by 90%.
Are you sure that your range is not impacted? I gave up on using my V1 in the Model S and now use Waze for police locations :cool:
Tesla Traffic Incidents and Information

yeah works great, maybe they have different suppliers for windshields? various models have different glass? it acts like a normal windshield, my V1 acts like it always does with some crazy range - that + Waze is a great combo. I'll try and test with my other radar, but like I mentioned above everything I have that works great (Fastrak, etc.)

From the photo it looks like the Valentine in connected to the Blackvue. Did you mean that the mirror tap is where the Blackvue is connected and then the Valentine gets it's power through the Blackvue?

The Blackvue is not powered from the mirror tap, the Blackvue power cable is a constant on and runs along the center channel to the interior of the car for power, the V1 is powered from the auto dim switched source inside the housing. I wasn't there when he opened and installed so I don't know the color of the cables he tapped into - I'll drop him a note see if he remembers

The Blackvue is not powered from the mirror tap, the Blackvue power cable is a constant on and runs along the center channel to the interior of the car for power, the V1 is powered from the auto dim switched source inside the housing. I wasn't there when he opened and installed so I don't know the color of the cables he tapped into - I'll drop him a note see if he remembers

Doesn't it look from the photo that the Valentine's power cord is going into the Blackvue? Maybe I'm not looking at it right.

Just the angle I took the photo from, both the wires go into the housing, but the Blackvue's wire goes allllll the way along the center channel ;)

Okay, I zoomed in to the wires and see that the V1 is actually bending up into the housing, rather than to the right and toward the BlackVue. Thanks, kazkioken. I've been wondering what to do about my V1 in that expansive windshield. This answers the question.

Reactions: kazkioken
Okay, I zoomed in to the wires and see that the V1 is actually bending up into the housing, rather than to the right and toward the BlackVue. Thanks, kazkioken. I've been wondering what to do about my V1 in that expansive windshield. This answers the question.

If you happen to know where to tap the power wires please share :D I will take delivery of my X soon and would love to have a V1 in it

Johnny from Calibred Customs came out to hard mount my Valentine One in my X...as always the best service. He previously installed my Blackvues and hard wired my mobile phone to the dash.

Quick note about radars: I live in SoCal...it's mostly CHP using KA band and not much else. You can still get zapped with laser, or paced and there's little to do about either unless you go for jammers which I am not interested in doing. Why drive above the speed limit when it kills range? Well, it's a fast car and just keeping up with traffic in general can lead to issues if you're the one they get - and with that huge frontal area it's an easy target.

Ok so, I ordered the hard mount from Blendmount on their site, there's only one Tesla model (think 001) and it fits both S and X apparently. He found a switched source right there so he didn't have to run cables like for the Blackvue. It sits nicely tucked in front of the rearview mirror and together with the Blackvue it's an nice tidy package. It turns on when the car is powered on and vice versa. Works great and has no interference from the autopilot system.

So that's it, looks great, installed perfectly as usual by Johnny huge thumbs up!View attachment 206720 View attachment 206721 View attachment 206722

I just noticed something else you mentioned on the original post about hardwiring you cell phone to the dash. Could you post a photo of what you did. I've been thinking that the location Tesla plans for the phone doesn't make the phone screen very visible, which can be a problem for some applications, since Tesla doesn't support Apple Car Play (in my case I have an iPhone).

I've still found that my EZPass only works in the designated spot for it. Before I mounted my pass with Velcro, I was just holding it up to the windshield while going through the bridge toll booth and it didn't work in any spot other than the normal "right of the mirror mount" location for me.

I've still found that my EZPass only works in the designated spot for it. Before I mounted my pass with Velcro, I was just holding it up to the windshield while going through the bridge toll booth and it didn't work in any spot other than the normal "right of the mirror mount" location for me.

Weird right? I was skeptical myself and tried all my various sensors all over the windshield and they all work everywhere as if there is no metallic interference - are they using different suppliers? I have a 90D picked up in June this year