Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Valet mode for service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As others have posted, valet mode is irrelevant if you’re having work done at the service center. However; if you’re having any work done at an offsite repair center I’d at least enable speed limit mode. I did this last year when I had mine at an authorized repair shop and got multiple alerts that the speed limit I had set (50MPH) was being reached. The max speed limit for the surrounding area where the shop was located was 40 MPH.

Tesla service center? Ignore the valet mode.

Any other service center (tire shop, etc...)? Definitely enable it!

Besides the fact that, as others have mentioned, the Tesla folks can bypass the valet mode with their systems, why would they go out to have fun in my lowly Model 3 when their loaners are P100D Model S? ;)

For the other guys, I stopped at a Midas (or something like that) in the Ariel Atom one time to buy an oil filter. As I parked it, some kid came running out of the service bay and loudly declared "I'M GOING TO TEST DRIVE THIS VEHICLE!" before I had even gotten out of the car. If I had been planning on leaving it (just needing an oil filter, so no, wasn't planning on that), I would have maybe said something to the manager and left without leaving the car for service. That's the kind of attitude that valet mode is designed to address.

Tesla service center? Ignore the valet mode.

Any other service center (tire shop, etc...)? Definitely enable it!

Besides the fact that, as others have mentioned, the Tesla folks can bypass the valet mode with their systems, why would they go out to have fun in my lowly Model 3 when their loaners are P100D Model S? ;)

For the other guys, I stopped at a Midas (or something like that) in the Ariel Atom one time to buy an oil filter. As I parked it, some kid came running out of the service bay and loudly declared "I'M GOING TO TEST DRIVE THIS VEHICLE!" before I had even gotten out of the car. If I had been planning on leaving it (just needing an oil filter, so no, wasn't planning on that), I would have maybe said something to the manager and left without leaving the car for service. That's the kind of attitude that valet mode is designed to address.
I would have probably yelled something different and left immediately. No way is someone going to do that to my vehicle!

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Not true at all.
I quickly glanced over your link and it reads as though it still needed to be taken out of valet mode by someone. It may not have been an override but sounds like it was still taken out of valet