Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vampire drain/losses are high again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been losing 10 to 14 miles while sitting in the parking lot at work. Yesterday I got to work with 194 miles of range and leave with 182
  • Cabin overheat is disabled
  • Sentry mode is disabled
  • Car is actually asleep (verified via API)
  • Don't use TeslaFi
  • Temps are not too hot (70s to 80s)
  • Parked 6- 8 hours
  • No accessories plugged in
Anyone else seeing this? My car is now on 2019.20.1 and I've been seeing this for a couple firmwares. 12 mi in 6 hours is 2 MPH loss (while asleep!). This is approximately 3 kWh in 6 hours = 500W/hour.

Car will turn on the cooling to keep the battery happy. It gets very hot under the sun in the cabin and that amount of heat likely transfers into the battery pack. Best thing you can do is get work to install a charger and have the cooling run off the land line to avoid range loss.

Car will turn on the cooling to keep the battery happy. It gets very hot under the sun in the cabin and that amount of heat likely transfers into the battery pack. Best thing you can do is get work to install a charger and have the cooling run off the land line to avoid range loss.

It better not be cooling the battery while parked on a 70-80 day. Perhaps if he just parked it after a few runs at the race track.

Heat from the cabin should not reach the battery. At least not very much at all. Heat rises and it’s isolated.

Something else is going on.

I've lost 25-30 while at work the past 3 days, but I have all that stuff on and it's been in the high 90s, it's an open parking lot, and it sits in the sun for 10+ hours while I'm in the office (I do have tinted windows plus a sunshade). When it was cooler and I turned all that stuff off and wasn't parked at work as long, I would lose ~5 while at work.

• Informative
Reactions: drewpost
Yes, also experiencing much higher drain since the last couple of software updates. I’ve been tracking it sporadically and experimenting with sentry mode on and off. I usually don’t have any other convenience cooling/heating features turned on. I’m on 20.1 currently but don’t have enough data yet and frankly too lazy to keep tracking it regularly. I used to do it religiously when I first got the car a year ago.

I have M3-LR on 2019.12.1.2 and since this update I have noticed sometimes after I parked my car in the garage the radio and fan will turn on after I closed all doors. I have to go check on it once a while and keep open and close door until everything is off.

• Love
Reactions: TORQU3
I have M3-LR on 2019.12.1.2 and since this update I have noticed sometimes after I parked my car in the garage the radio and fan will turn on after I closed all doors. I have to go check on it once a while and keep open and close door until everything is off.

I've been shutting my HVAC off when I park and sometimes don't even need to turn it on, on the next use of the car, if it's a short trip and I can run with say windows a crack open or it's cool out and the car is comfortable with nothing. I also try to use Fan only when that's all that's needed, not so concerned if I just leave the fan on when I park it. Also if it's really hot, it's better to air the car out for few minutes than make the AC do all the work, same goes for ICE cars.

If HVAC is not Off, it can run quite a bit when it's not really needed. Like the next time I might go to pack the car, the HVAC comes on but I might not leave for 10 minutes. And it runs for a bit after I park as well. So I just try to keep it Off by default. Long Press on Fan button to turn it off. And just a touch on the fan button turns it on.

I think this saves a fair bit of waste. I wish there was an option to only run AC/Heat when the car is in Drive (like the wh/mi meter).

• Helpful
Reactions: dhrivnak
Not acceptable. Try a reboot. Try to turn off data sharing just to see what happens.

What is API?

When you say you don't use teslafi, do you mean you've never had it?

How many times did you open Tesla app?
  • API is me running a script to Tesla mothership that tells me if my car is awake or asleep without disturbing the car itself (read more here)
  • Never had TeslaFi
  • Never opened the app. Numbers came from the in-car screen

• API is me running a script to Tesla mothership that tells me if my car is awake or asleep without disturbing the car itself (read more here)
  • Never had TeslaFi
  • Never opened the app. Numbers came from the in-car screen
Why do you think you’re not disturbing the car? Communicating with the car delays when it will go to sleep. Stop using third party crap with your car, let the car operate as Tesla intended, and I’ll bet you see your vampire drain drop.

Why do you think you’re not disturbing the car? Communicating with the car delays when it will go to sleep. Stop using third party crap with your car, let the car operate as Tesla intended, and I’ll bet you see your vampire drain drop.

Umm... He just said he wasn't using any "third party crap" in the comment you replied to. Unless you consider Tesla's own API to be third party crap.

• Funny
Reactions: nvx1977
Not sure you actually read my reply...I think I'm not disturbing the car because I'm not communicating with the car... Also no 3rd party "crap" in play here.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Umm... He just said he wasn't using any "third party crap" in the comment you replied to. Unless you consider Tesla's own API to be third party crap.
The link he gave said they were “ a community of developers who are reverse engineering Tesla’s API”. And “Is this API official? Absolutely not. These endpoints are the result of reverse engineering Tesla’s mobile applications and vehicle software”. So yes I put this in the category of third party crap, not official Tesla software, and certainly not something being used as Tesla intended for the car to manage itself.

And @insaneoctane, you said you’re using this to run a script that tells you if the car is awake or asleep. This sounds to me like it’s communicating with the car even though you say it’s not.

• Disagree
Reactions: bay74 and dhrivnak