Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vancouver Model 3 Pickup Issues...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We went to pick up our model 3 last Sunday without any research on the pickup process.
It didn't take long to be in the vehicle going through orientation.

The person going through the vehicle seemed to rush it and I had to clarify a few things.

There were three of us and the one in the back were noticing the rubber inside around the doors had several lumps, not smooth. They said that this was normal. I then noticed when getting out that the leather on the driver's seat had two indents where it meets the seam. Same in a spot on the rear.
I checked out another vehicle next to ours and it had none of these issues.

We also noticed the logo was crooked. We rejected it as they did not offer to fix any of these issues and basically said in a nice way we are picky.

Why should I accept a car with issues when I'm spending over 55k really makes no sense to me.

So let me know Model 3 owners, is the rubber trim on the inside of your vehicle around the windows have bulges instead of being smooth? Unfortunately forgot to take a photo.

Attachments

• IMG_20191006_103706.jpg
    IMG_20191006_103706.jpg
    458.1 KB · Views: 135
We went to pick up our model 3 last Sunday without any research on the pickup process.

The person going through the vehicle seemed to rush it and I had to clarify a few things.

There were three of us and the one in the back were noticing the rubber inside around the doors had several lumps, not smooth. They said that this was normal. I then noticed when getting out that the leather on the driver's seat had two indents where it meets the seam. Same in a spot on the rear.

We also noticed the logo was crooked. We rejected it as they did not offer to fix any of these issues and basically said in a nice way we are picky.

Why should I accept a car with issues when I'm spending over 55k really makes no sense to me.

So let me know Model 3 owners, is the rubber trim on the inside of your vehicle around the windows have bulges instead of being smooth? Unfortunately forgot to take a photo.

Can they not fix those things in a very short while? The crooked emblem should be easy, and seems to happen to a lot of cars. If they didn't offer to fix these things, did you get pushy and ask them to be fixed? If they flat out refused, then that seems reasonable.

But if they would of fixed them at a service center - why wait a long while to get another car that could have far worse problems?

If you buy a $55K Mercedes, you will find these kinds of problems too. Tesla needs the car in a service center to fix them. That’s the only difference.

When you say "they did not offer to fix any of these issues", had you actually asked them to? They all seem like very small fixes at any service center that would likely be covered for free.

In comparison to cars that have noticeable paint or bodywork issues at delivery, those are really minor things to refuse a car over...

Reactions: petergy
That was the thing they basically said they could not do anything about it. There was no offer to fix it and I was showing concern. I have purchased several new cars, every issue I have found was fixed or offered by the manager to fix. They couldn't care less was the attitude.
I didn't even look for all the other issues that people have found.
The rubber seal does not fix itself. I'm picky and especially when paying for an expensive car. Elon Musk says his cars are perfection, not what I saw.

When you say "they did not offer to fix any of these issues", had you actually asked them to? They all seem like very small fixes at any service center that would likely be covered for free.

In comparison to cars that have noticeable paint or bodywork issues at delivery, those are really minor things to refuse a car over...

Maybe it had those issues, I didn't know I should look for that. thanks. When they tell you it is normal for the leather to not match the seems and rubber seals are not straight you are buying a 56k car..that's crazy. You also start to think, what else is wrong with this car.
There was an air pocket on the right rear seat as well I didn't bother mentioning.

I have a Kia Niro EV, fit and finish is excellent, rubber seals are smooth and fit the way they should.

That doesn't really address the question as to whether you had asked for the issues to be fixed.

It sounds like you expected them to proactively offer to fix the issues. If you read threads on the pickup/delivery process you will realize that with Tesla the onus is on the customer to demand issues be addressed if the car is outside of reasonable expectations. Tesla is heavily invested with production and sells very high volumes relative to their service workforce, so their service centers would not sustainably be able to proactively offer to fix minor issues. $55k+ or not, you are simply not buying a low-volume luxury brand that has mature servicing capacity.

The rubber seals are incredibly minor and easily user-fixable with minimal effort. The badge is also a minor fix and I would be surprised if they refused to fix it if you had just insisted they do so.

If there were no paint or body issues I would definitely have not rejected the car in your position and instead I'd insisted correction of the issues (I think the badge is the only thing that warrants it). I'd only refuse cars with noticeable paint or body flaws as those are significantly more complicated and difficult to correct.

On the other hand if you did ask them to correct the issues and they explicitly refused, then that's ridiculous of them.

That doesn't really address the question as to whether you had asked for the issues to be fixed.

It sounds like you expected them to proactively offer to fix the issues. If you read threads on the pickup/delivery process you will realize that with Tesla the onus is on the customer to demand issues be addressed if the car is outside of reasonable expectations. Tesla is heavily invested with production and sells very high volumes relative to their service workforce, so their service centers would not sustainably be able to proactively offer to fix minor issues. $55k+ or not, you are simply not buying a low-volume luxury brand that has mature servicing capacity.

The rubber seals are incredibly minor and easily user-fixable with minimal effort. The badge is also a minor fix and I would be surprised if they refused to fix it if you had just insisted they do so.

If there were no paint or body issues I would definitely have not rejected the car in your position and instead I'd insisted correction of the issues (I think the badge is the only thing that warrants it). I'd only refuse cars with noticeable paint or body flaws as those are significantly more complicated and difficult to correct.
I don't really care, what is the difference between them saying they won't fix them and me telling them to fix them? Am I supposed to start a fight with them? I also have read no threads until now about this extremely flawed pick up procedure.

I didn't look for the other flaws and I am not familiar with Tesla's problems and procedures.
The emblem is no big deal, but how do I know the paint is fine beneath? Rubber seals were just bad everywhere, if it was one to three ok fine. My main concern is nice seats, these only get worse with time.
The same vehicle two cars over I told them I would have taken.

The difference is in being active and passive, though if as you're suggesting they actually refused to fix them (as opposed to them not offering, and your assuming they would not fix) then that is ridiculous of them given how easy the issues you mentioned would be to fix.

You can't really be passive-aggressive buying a Tesla -- I'm not suggesting you are, but it's really unclear whether the delivery agent(s) explicitly refused to fix the minor issues you pointed out.

It partially sounds like you were expecting some type of luxury white-glove experience where the delivery agents would bend over backwards to make you happy buying their lowest-end highest-volume model, but again if they actually verbally said "we will not fix the issues you pointed out" then shame on them.

I just expect to get a new vehicle without issues, High volume, lowest end, doesn't make a difference to me. So if I buy the lowest end Porsche there gonna give me their basic service. You seem to like to give Tesla an excuse for their flaws?

Bend over backwards, where do you even see where I ask for this? It's a new car...maybe, maybe it has been rejected numerous times?

Apparently I should spend 56k and be partially happy.

Whatever happened to customer service? I get treated better when I go out to eat a McDonald's and spend under $20?
I couldn't get a mocha coffee at Tesla and we're spending over $20.

This is how you handle a customer.
I'm sorry to see that you find these an issue for you, let me see what I can do to make you happy. We may be able to replace some of the door trim and straighten out the front emblem, and I'll see if we can get the leather seats fixed in those areas. If I do these things will you take the car today?

Now you made an effort with words, nobody bent over backwards talking. Even if it's all bullshit and they go away for 5-10 minutes and plan together what they can actually do. Ok sir, we'll replace the back two rubber trims, straighten the emblem at a later date. Sorry can't fix the leather. Even though my main concern is the leather, I may talk it over and ask her if she can live with it. Boom car is not rejected...now I reiterate, nobody bent over backwards and stuck a white glove anywhere.

Reactions: YodaMan79
So it does sound like you expected them to proactively offer to fix the issues, despite Tesla being obviously underinvested on the service front.

I am certain you would have gotten those issues fixed if you had just asked (and not necessarily firmly) instead of just being passive-aggressive or mopey with them.

Yes, Tesla customer service leaves something to be desired and no one is being apologetic about this. You should probably buy a BMW or Mercedes instead if that is a huge priority for you.

I get that not everybody uses the Internet. But in the day of the Internet I research everything I buy, well, at least over $100. It was eight months from the time I first rode in a Tesla and bought mine. In that time I joined this forum and read about delivery issues and looked over the delivery checklist. In other words I prepared for buying a Tesla, what to expect and what to do if something was not to my expectations or to reasonable expectations.

I wish Tesla was better about customer service and better at delivering a white glove delivery experience. But that is not their strength. By a lot of research on forums and YouTube I was ready. I had already read the manual several times. I am constantly surprised by the number of people who do not do their due diligence. You can stomp your feet about what the experience should be til your skin turns blue but research will show you what to expect. If your research shows the delivery experience is not what you want you can go elsewhere. But do the research first. The more expensive the desired purchase the more research one should do.

Last edited:
@Lektrons, you won't get a lot of love here for refusing a delivery. I'm sad to see Vancouver deliveries are still struggling.

I agree with you. You shouldn't have to bring up obvious issues, the car should never be presented like that. I've dealt mostly with Honda, and I got much better delivery service for a vehicle that was half the price. Scuff/scratch on the steering wheel during delivery at the dealership was promptly replaced, even though I had driven it more than 1000km since delivery (I had to immediately drive to Vancouver and back upon getting it). With Tesla, I would've had to report this immediately, drive the new vehicle home, schedule an appointment that's over a month out, drive 5+ hours to Vancouver and wait for them to replace a steering wheel without any guarantee it would be fixed or available later the same day, maybe make last minute local accommodation reservations, then drive it home. This isn't conjecture, there are minor delivery issues with my car that will never be fixed due to my "too late" reporting (>100km, it's 500km just to drive the car home) and the scenario I just outlined. And yes, I was told mobile service does not handle delivery issues, so I was indeed specifically requested to go back to Vancouver.

Tesla should hurt for this. Don't just "accept it because every manufacturer does this". They don't. They make it right, usually prior to you ever seeing anything was ever wrong. And if there is something wrong, it's usually much easier to address than Tesla makes it. You saved yourself a potential headache. Best wishes on the next one being in acceptable condition!

Reactions: N5329K
Thanks for all your replies, I appreciate the feedback and sharing your knowledge/experiences. It has been 4 days and no word from Tesla yet. Like I previously said, the other one on the lot I would have taken but it wasn't for us.

@Lektrons, you won't get a lot of love here for refusing a delivery. I'm sad to see Vancouver deliveries are still struggling.

I agree with you. You shouldn't have to bring up obvious issues, the car should never be presented like that. I've dealt mostly with Honda, and I got much better delivery service for a vehicle that was half the price. Scuff/scratch on the steering wheel during delivery at the dealership was promptly replaced, even though I had driven it more than 1000km since delivery (I had to immediately drive to Vancouver and back upon getting it). With Tesla, I would've had to report this immediately, drive the new vehicle home, schedule an appointment that's over a month out, drive 5+ hours to Vancouver and wait for them to replace a steering wheel without any guarantee it would be fixed or available later the same day, maybe make last minute local accommodation reservations, then drive it home. This isn't conjecture, there are minor delivery issues with my car that will never be fixed due to my "too late" reporting (>100km, it's 500km just to drive the car home) and the scenario I just outlined. And yes, I was told mobile service does not handle delivery issues, so I was indeed specifically requested to go back to Vancouver.

Tesla should hurt for this. Don't just "accept it because every manufacturer does this". They don't. They make it right, usually prior to you ever seeing anything was ever wrong. And if there is something wrong, it's usually much easier to address than Tesla makes it. You saved yourself a potential headache. Best wishes on the next one being in acceptable condition!

500kms to drive home! You should get a trailer just to save the kms but counter productive?

I think the next one will be perfect as they know what we expect. Good luck to you.

I am in Vancouver too and purchased a Black AWD LR with Premium package. My pick up experience was not very good either but I did join 2 forum groups a week ahead of time and spent too many hours reading up and watching videos. My expectations were not very high because of everything I read ahead of time. Sure enough, my delivery experience had several issues. The forum groups seems to have 2 camps. One camp is Tesla can do no wrong, and the other camp is more realistic and common sense people where their responses are actually helpful and not condescending insults.

When I picked up my car, the delivery center's printer didn't work for a few hours and there were people waiting for hours to sign their delivery papers. There were no apologies by the staff and it was a bit chaotic as everyone wanted their cars first. They tried to swap the process and conduct vehicle training prior to documentation signing, but they didn't have any cars in the lot that matched what people purchased. The cars were being driven over from an off-site lot in a non-logical sequence.

Then the person who installed my plates happened to be the car trainer too. Instead of providing the fundamentals on how to start the car and put in gear, adjust steering wheel/mirrors, linking car to phone app, I was asked several times what do I want to know about the car ? After the 3rd time that no training was provided even though I asked questions, I decided to drive off using what I learned from reading and watching the videos.

Car was only charged 50% when given to me because of the backlog of people taking deliveries. SA sales pitch was that I would receive 2 years free SC, then after the deal was done, retracted the offer the next morning, and then said I would get free SC which is still not active on my account as of today.

My rear passenger door's rubber trim has lots of lumps and waving. It can't be pushed, flattened, or made flush against the door window. Heavy rain does result in a few drops of water getting in and landing on the door panel. Rear driver side door needs more force to slam the door shut flush compared to other doors. Still can't upgrade software after weeks of trying.

In the end, I am fortunate enough to enjoy the car as is because of the gas savings, ease of driving, and not having to press the brake so much on my 180 km daily drive. Not having to spend $5200 annually gas, and being more environmental were key decisions for me on buying the M3 and ordering the Y for next year. But I agree with many buyer's frustrations and have experienced many of my own. After taxes and insurance the price I paid was $80,000 and will buy a home charger soon too. Buyer's should have the right to expect a defect free car. Quality, Service, and Price should be basic fundamentals for all companies to follow.

• Informative
Reactions: N5329K and Lektrons
I am in Vancouver too and purchased a Black AWD LR with Premium package. My pick up experience was not very good either but I did join 2 forum groups a week ahead of time and spent too many hours reading up and watching videos. My expectations were not very high because of everything I read ahead of time. Sure enough, my delivery experience had several issues. The forum groups seems to have 2 camps. One camp is Tesla can do no wrong, and the other camp is more realistic and common sense people where their responses are actually helpful and not condescending insults.

When I picked up my car, the delivery center's printer didn't work for a few hours and there were people waiting for hours to sign their delivery papers. There were no apologies by the staff and it was a bit chaotic as everyone wanted their cars first. They tried to swap the process and conduct vehicle training prior to documentation signing, but they didn't have any cars in the lot that matched what people purchased. The cars were being driven over from an off-site lot in a non-logical sequence.

Then the person who installed my plates happened to be the car trainer too. Instead of providing the fundamentals on how to start the car and put in gear, adjust steering wheel/mirrors, linking car to phone app, I was asked several times what do I want to know about the car ? After the 3rd time that no training was provided even though I asked questions, I decided to drive off using what I learned from reading and watching the videos.

Car was only charged 50% when given to me because of the backlog of people taking deliveries. SA sales pitch was that I would receive 2 years free SC, then after the deal was done, retracted the offer the next morning, and then said I would get free SC which is still not active on my account as of today.

My rear passenger door's rubber trim has lots of lumps and waving. It can't be pushed, flattened, or made flush against the door window. Heavy rain does result in a few drops of water getting in and landing on the door panel. Rear driver side door needs more force to slam the door shut flush compared to other doors. Still can't upgrade software after weeks of trying.

In the end, I am fortunate enough to enjoy the car as is because of the gas savings, ease of driving, and not having to press the brake so much on my 180 km daily drive. Not having to spend $5200 annually gas, and being more environmental were key decisions for me on buying the M3 and ordering the Y for next year. But I agree with many buyer's frustrations and have experienced many of my own. After taxes and insurance the price I paid was $80,000 and will buy a home charger soon too. Buyer's should have the right to expect a defect free car. Quality, Service, and Price should be basic fundamentals for all companies to follow.

Sorry for your poor experience and leaking window. I was told that the window would not leak because of the wavy trim.
I hope your issues get fixed asap. To be fair I have heard horror stories from other high end car companies.
It is obvious to me Tesla is a tech company first who makes a car, a great car, a different car that people love but your not supposed to accept faults because of this. Their logistics are horrible and in this day and age of communication, we have not been apologized too or had any message so far...

That crooked front emblem will annoy the heck out of me.They should definitely fix that.