Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vancouver to Alberta Trip Planning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm hoping to take delivery of my Model X sometime in June in Vancouver and drive it back to Edmonton.
I would like to get it wrapped with XPEL before the trip back.
Anyone have any suggestions where to get this done in the Vancouver area.

I'm hoping to take delivery of my Model X sometime in June in Vancouver and drive it back to Edmonton.
I would like to get it wrapped with XPEL before the trip back.
Anyone have any suggestions where to get this done in the Vancouver area.
I had been considering doing this too and I had exactly the same question, though I hadn't asked it yet. I was thinking that maybe I could have the most vulnerable areas done in Van and then I would do the rest in Calgary. That being said, I'm leasing the X so I might not do the whole vehicle anyway.

I had been considering doing this too and I had exactly the same question, though I hadn't asked it yet. I was thinking that maybe I could have the most vulnerable areas done in Van and then I would do the rest in Calgary. That being said, I'm leasing the X so I might not do the whole vehicle anyway.

Not a bad idea. Could avoid some provincial tax too.
Although I had a bad experience with a new car driving behind tractor semi-trailer units on BC highways in the rain a few years back.
The resulting film on the paint was like glue and I had work it quite hard to get the greasy rubbery film off.

It's Ken Wilson at Autowerkes Exclusive. When I picked up my Model S two years ago I drove it straight to his shop in Maple Ridge and he did about half the car in Xpel Ultimate and then coated the entire car with Opticoat, including the rims. When I got new rims he also applied Opticoat for me. I take my car to him once a year for detailing (clay bar etc). I highly recommend him. He was doing tons of detailing for Tesla on new deliveries at the service center, then on the test drive vehicles. Last time I spoke with him he was still doing the test drive vehicles downtown.

Ask him about the tax. It could just be GST since it's mostly labour.

• Helpful
Reactions: Footbag
Now is the time to drive highway 5A between Kamloops and Merritt.

Yesterday I was up in Kamloops for soccer and decided to take highway 5A back from Kamloops to Merritt. In the spring, this drive is somewhat reminiscent to driving in the highlands of Scotland. Everything is green and the road runs along the terrain with views of rolling hills and grasslands. I didn't take any pictures, but I really should have. It is a MUCH preferred drive to taking the Coquihalla.

5A starts pretty much at the supercharger in Kamloops and crosses over the freeway and climbs out of town. The road surface is a bit beat up until you are out of town and then it is absolutely pristine down to the north end of Nicola lake. From there it is still good with a few cracks into Merritt, where it intersects the Coquihalla (exit 290) at the airport/Tim Hortons/Starbucks/Walmart/McDonalds/Home Restaurant/Canadian Tire/Extra Foods/pretty much everything. Chances are the promised Merritt supercharger will also be at this intersection.
Saw half a dozen to a dozen northbound vehicles along the entire route and didn't see a single southbound vehicle until we reached Quilchena. Distance is ~90km; battery consumption ~110km of rated range. That was with a considerable headwind and driving at 100kph. This route stays quite a bit lower than the Coquihalla.

As I stated at the top, now is the time of year to drive this route. In a month or two everything will be dried out and brown and the road full of RVs. I expect that the fall will also be a great time of year to ride this road. I do not know how well it is maintained in the winter.

An update to note that repaving of this route from the north end of Nicola Lake south into Merritt is pretty much complete. Temporary road lines and reduced speed signage still in place, but the paving is essentially complete.

Still green, with tinges of brown and significantly more north-bound traffic yesterday afternoon (10's of vehicles).

I'm doing the trip from Calgary to Summerland BC. Have done it several times but this is the first time that we will have 10 month old twins in the car. There are some challenges to consider but particularly I'm not sure when we stop at Superchargers - usually Golden and Revelstoke what if anything we can do with the twins. For anyone who has travelled this route with small ones, any pointers?

I would suggest leaving early morning so hopefully the kids fall back asleep for a good portion of your trip. We eventually had 4 kids on our six hour trips to visit the grandparents. There were some memorable moments we can joke about now. Need lots of distracting toys. Frequent stops are good. Parents get cranky too and need a break

Reactions: gpetti and Nevek
Made a trip from Vancouver to Kelowna this labour day weekend and have a few detailed data points regarding the trip from Hope to Kelowna and back. This was done in about 15degree weather, 400kg payload (5adults plus weekend luggage) and in a S70D 19" tires. Cabin at 22 degrees

Hope to Kelowna:
Starting range: 373km
Ending range: 47km
Rated Kms used: 326km
TACC set at 120km/h
Average of 215wh/km

Kelowna to Hope:
Starting range: 384km
Ending range: 67km
Rated Kms used: 317
TACC set at 130km/h
Avg of 209wh/km

Overall easy trip but hanging around hope for such a full charge gets boring. The supercharger in Merritt will be welcome.

Last edited:
Reactions: gpetti
Overall easy trip but hanging around hope for such a full charge gets boring.

Yes, in the summer range on a 70 isn't a problem but once it gets colder range really drops, not so much because of cabin heat, but because cold air is heavier than warm air, so it makes for more resistance for the car to drive through. One of my first posts here when considering buying the car was if it would make it from home to my cabin in Tulameen (300 km over two mountain passes) -- before the Supercharger in Hope. I was told to charge in Hope. On my first trip with the car, I charged at the 80 amp L2 charger across from the Blue Moose in Hope (a good place to kill time in Hope with great coffee) but after doing the calculations when I arrived I figured out I could make it without the charge in the summer. But cold weather is whole other issue. I remember reading this:

"I purchased an app at the Mac App Store called Vehicle Energy Use Simulator for $9.99. It is really slick. You can "build" a Model S or any other car in minutes (lots of other cars are already in the app), simulate driving conditions including outside temperature, and see how these affect energy efficiency. Cold air is heavier than warm air, and therefor resistance is always greater when it is cold, but by how much? If this program is accurate, with all other things being equal, driving 70 MPH when the outdoor air is 35F compared to 95F will reduce the range by almost exactly 20%. It's about the same order of magnitude for all cars. It's easy to use and let's you trial and error many different driving conditions."

Cold weather range questions | Tesla Motors

20% is a huge hit just for denser air -- then add heating! A Tesla can absorb that but for our Leaf, it becomes even more pathetic than it already is regarding range in the winter (but we still really like the ugly bug looking car).

Until they build a SC in Merritt, if you plan to do the same drive in the winter you might want to consider a CHAdeMO adapter since there's a charger in Merritt that will add km's much faster than the L2's there. I wouldn't try it in the winter from Hope to Kelowna in a 70. Snow on the road also adds resistance and eats range, as with rain.

Made a trip from Vancouver to Kelowna this labour day weekend and have a few detailed data points regarding the trip from Hope to Kelowna and back. This was done in about 15degree weather, 400kg payload (5adults plus weekend luggage) and in a S70D 19" tires. Cabin at 22 degrees

Hope to Kelowna:
Starting range: 373km
Ending range: 47km
Rated Kms used: 326km
TACC set at 120km/h
Average of 215wh/km

Kelowna to Hope:
Starting range: 384km
Ending range: 67km
Rated Kms used: 317
TACC set at 130km/h
Avg of 209wh/km

Overall easy trip but hanging around hope for such a full charge gets boring. The supercharger in Merritt will be welcome.
thanks for this data. I have a 70D, but haven't yet ventured past Hope with it, nor taken a trip yet requring more than one Supercharger leg. I'm considering a road trip from Vancouver to Kelowa, and back.

Q: how long did you need to charge in Hope?

thanks for this data. I have a 70D, but haven't yet ventured past Hope with it, nor taken a trip yet requring more than one Supercharger leg. I'm considering a road trip from Vancouver to Kelowa, and back.

Q: how long did you need to charge in Hope?

Probably close to an hour. I went with almost a full tank but if your payload is smaller and drive slower (especially the steep uphill up to Merritt) you can definitely get away with less of a charge.

Probably close to an hour. I went with almost a full tank but if your payload is smaller and drive slower (especially the steep uphill up to Merritt) you can definitely get away with less of a charge.
I think general consensus is that the range calculation done by the car is about 10% off. If it is estimating you will arrive with 10%, then you will probably arrive nearly at zero. I usually charge until the car is estimating at least 20% which seems to allow an appropriate buffer. 1 hour should be ample to fill the car to its maximum range which is obviously your safest bet. My estimations are with both a P85D with 21" wheels (similar to a 70D with 19" I think) and an X90D. Both calculations out by about 10%. I think you would also do well not to go over 120 on the Coquihalla.

• Informative
Reactions: green1
I agree that the range estimator is off by about 10% on that stretch (I'd say maybe a hair over 10% off). With a P85+ on 19" wheels I have no trouble setting the cruise control at 10 over the limit on that stretch, but I'd be very reluctant to drive at that same speed in anything with any less range, and I always make sure to have as much buffer as I can for that stretch of road.
On the bright side, once you get up and walk around, Hope is actually a nice little town to spend an hour in while charging, if you have kids there's a really nice playground only a block or 2 away, and there are lots of nice little shops for adults to wander through.