TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Vandalized

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by nishy1, Nov 2, 2015.

1. nishy1

nishy1 Member

So so so gutted. My P90D got scratched when parked on the street on Saturday night. It's a quiet street, no one comes down it. It's kind of like a back alley way in a very private neighborhood.

What do you guys think? Easily repairable or a big job? Should i go through insurance?

tesla scratch.jpg tesla scratch 2.jpg

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Looks like a $1500 paint and blend. Easy fix.

3. Zybane

Zybane Member

One reason I always park in the garage at night!

4. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

That doesn't look like vandals to me. It looks like someone nosed the car into something and pulled away, or another vehicle backed into it and drove off. But yes, blending it shouldn't be an issue.

5. nishy1

nishy1 Member

That's weird though - there was no other impact...would have meant an SUV hit it and scratched it and went off but wouldnt there by a bump or ding?

6. msnow

msnow Active Member

#6 msnow, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    That sucks! Easily repairable and probably will cost more than you think but that's why we have insurance. Was it keyed?

7. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

The hood is meant to flex downward due to pedestrian impact requirements. The hood can dent in and out without leaving a mark (but you will cringe when you see it happening.) So yeah, an SUV or truck can easily do something like that. If you're going to park it on a public street, front and back dashcams are a wonderful thing. If a bumper is riding up on your hood, you would have easily made the plate.

8. MsElectric

MsElectric Active Member

That looks like damage caused by a truck baking up to your car. I think the circular marks were caused by the hood flexing. The good news is this is likely a very easy fix and just be glad that it is only on one "panel"

9. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

This. There's no way a vandal would manage to make three identical marks like that - they all must be from the same event.

10. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

The 3 identical patterns certainly look like a mechanical cause. Doesn't mean it was not vindictive though, and if the street is as quiet as you say with lots of parking, then yes, probably deliberate.