Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle Connection Error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

Having problems connecting the app to my phone. It spins for a while then shows vehicle connection error. This happens on both my phone and my wife's so it appears to be a car issue.

I tried:

Rebooting the car
Rebooting the car with brake
Powering off the car and restarting
Re-installing the app on my phone

any suggestions? I opened a ticket with tesla several hours ago but no response yet.

Good luck with that. I've been having this problem on and off ever since I bought the car at the rnd of December.
I noticed then that the problem never occurs when the car is charging. Usually rebooting the car solves the probkem until the car falls back to sleep again. Tesla hasn't been much help. They will ask you when exactly it happened. So you may want to write diwn the time and day. Please let us know if you have any success.

Just had mobile service today and couldn’t “log on” to my car through the app. I had to actually log out and log back in through the app before the app connected to my car. The tech mentioned that there were some internal updates today (not FW related) which necessitated re logging into the app. Not sure if your issue is similar but hope it gets resolved.

Thanks for the responses guys- the car has a great cell signal.

I have it working again for now. Here's what I did:

1) Plugged in the car charger
2) Went into security settings and disabled mobile access (it asks for email and password)
3) Enabled mobile access

Boom- everything started working again. I'll report back if anything changes

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Yeah, resetting mobile access would reset the car side. That other idea is bogus, sorry. It’s an app. All it knows is that you logged in to it with your Tesla login. It then gets your data (what cars you have) from Tesla. If somehow it gets corrupted you could delete the app and re-download it. From the App Store.

I can’t even figure out what you mean by downloading the app from Tesla’s link.. Why would you ever download an app from anywhere except from the Apple or Google stores and why would that ‘help’? I’ve reloaded the app several times at Tesla’s direction and always from the App Store.

Yeah, resetting mobile access would reset the car side. That other idea is bogus, sorry. It’s an app. All it knows is that you logged in to it with your Tesla login. It then gets your data (what cars you have) from Tesla. If somehow it gets corrupted you could delete the app and re-download it. From the App Store.

I can’t even figure out what you mean by downloading the app from Tesla’s link.. Why would you ever download an app from anywhere except from the Apple or Google stores and why would that ‘help’? I’ve reloaded the app several times at Tesla’s direction and always from the App Store.

There’s a reason why the app link is located on their Telsa App support page. When you are logged into a website and they post a link to their app that takes you to the Apple or Google store, that download has information to your account settings already, I’ve downloaded the apps many times by just going straight to the App Store first and it wouldn’t connect, it only connected off the companies website.. so for those needing help, give that a try.

Fred

• Disagree
Reactions: fabian
There’s a reason why the app link is located on their Telsa App support page. When you are logged into a website and they post a link to their app that takes you to the Apple or Google store, that download has information to your account settings already, I’ve downloaded the apps many times by just going straight to the App Store first and it wouldn’t connect, it only connected off the companies website.. so for those needing help, give that a try.

Fred

That's not how this works, Tesla does not have special download links with account information. If it worked for you it was probably nothing more than a coincidence.

Reactions: brkaus and PoitNarf
Yesterday around 630PM EST I attempted connecting to the car and received a network error on the Tesla (android) app. I didn't pay much attention at the time, but tried again around 10PM EST and still had the error. I went to the car and turned off WIFI (which then showed the LTE signal) and was able to immediately connect. First time having the issue.

Yesterday around 630PM EST I attempted connecting to the car and received a network error on the Tesla (android) app. I didn't pay much attention at the time, but tried again around 10PM EST and still had the error. I went to the car and turned off WIFI (which then showed the LTE signal) and was able to immediately connect. First time having the issue.
Thanks for this. Powered down the vehicle completely and turned back on and the app still didn’t work. So I disabled wifi on the car and the app connected immediately once the car was using LTE. And now that I’ve reenabled wifi, the app is connecting fine.

Reactions: M3-Florida
I also had this problem two weeks with my one month old Model 3. I tried a number of things including two different iPhones, killing the Tesla app and restarting, waiting an extended period of time, rebooting the phone, disabling Wi-Fi on the phone and using my cell phone's data plan to connect to the car. Nothing worked; I kept getting the "Vehicle Connection Error."
I also checked the car's Wi-Fi connection: the car showed it was connected and that it had a full strength connection (which it should because the router is in the garage, 5' away from the car).
I decided to try resetting the Wi-Fi connection in the car. I disconnected from my Wi-FI network, and deleted that network SSID from the car. I then set up the network connection again (selecting the same network SSID) and entered the Wi-Fi network password. After the car connected to the network, I tried the Tesla app again, and it immediately started working again.
I think that the LTE connection was very weak/absent and that the Wi-Fi connection, even though it had a full strength connection, was possibly hung at the session level and not talking to the internet side through the router.

I was having the same problem with "vehicle connection error". I read in Tesla's forum that someone did the following:
1.Log out and back into the mobile app (iPhone)
2. Did a soft boot (pressed both scroll wheels simultaneously on the wheel without the brake being pressed, until the console screen goes blank) and waited for completion - last screen visible, depending on what you were doing last.
3. On the main screen menu, I choose [I think] Privacy and Security (the second from the bottom.)
4. Turned off Mobile access at the bottom of the screen.
5. On the phone, I tried reconnecting until it said "Mobile Access Unavailable"
6. Turned the Mobile access on the console screen back on.
7. On the phone, I tried reconnecting again, and it worked.

These steps worked for me.

I think step 4 and on would have worked.