Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle Hold Feature unavailable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dropped my son off at a friend's tonight, and when I pulled in to drop him off, I put my new MY in Park. Immediately I got this message. It would not go off, even after driving away. I finally pulled over, put my car in Park and got out and closed the door. Center screen went off, and when I got back in...message was gone.

Any idea why or what would have caused this?
IMG_0811.jpg

The owner's manual says you can get this message due to "system constraints". Might be how steep the grade you were parked on or other factors.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it comes back during your next drive. If you see this message again, in a few days, I would open a Service Request to have it checked.
Thank you. I was parked on a perfectly flat concrete parking spot. But, let's hope it was just a one off "system constraint" ;)

I've noticed that the hold feature actually moves the brake pedal inside the cabin, which surprised me. Any chance either of you inadvertently obstructed it's movement and caused it to error out temporarily?

Got this for the first time today. Also got a cruise control unavailable at the same time.

Both popped up as I was stopping, no brake pedal, letting the car creep to a hold, but I was too quick to engage the park button prior to the car fully stopping. I got the 3 beeps that indicated e stop not possible, then the warnings popped up.

Maybe something about too many inputs asking for physical brakes at the same time? IDK, just thinking out loud.

Parked, reset screen, still have the error, just a few minutes later.

Said to schedule service if the problem persists after the next drive.

Got this for the first time today. Also got a cruise control unavailable at the same time.

Both popped up as I was stopping, no brake pedal, letting the car creep to a hold, but I was too quick to engage the park button prior to the car fully stopping. I got the 3 beeps that indicated e stop not possible, then the warnings popped up.

Maybe something about too many inputs asking for physical brakes at the same time? IDK, just thinking out loud.

Parked, reset screen, still have the error, just a few minutes later.

Said to schedule service if the problem persists after the next drive.
Fixed itself next drive.

Seems this happens when a door is still open and you try to drive and brake soon after. Happened while dropping kids at school.
As someone said, it goes away after you put it park, step out and close the door.