Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle Hold puzzles me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not intending to be snippy (don't take it that way), but I'm curious (as someone who's never driven a car with hill hold/vehicle hold) - what's the appeal? When do you need this?

The only time I could see it being useful is in a manual transmission ICE, where you're starting up on a hill and need to work 3 pedals with 2 feet. Then, you either need to be good at heel-toe or use the handbrake for hill-hold. Other than that, keep your foot on the brake if you don't want the car moving. :wink:

I really don't like this new feature. I wish we could disable it. When i release the break I want the car to start moving, I don't want to have to push the break to remove the break... Usually when I started the car I push the break to start the car but now you kinda have to push 2 times..

Not intending to be snippy (don't take it that way), but I'm curious (as someone who's never driven a car with hill hold/vehicle hold) - what's the appeal? When do you need this?

The only time I could see it being useful is in a manual transmission ICE, where you're starting up on a hill and need to work 3 pedals with 2 feet. Then, you either need to be good at heel-toe or use the handbrake for hill-hold. Other than that, keep your foot on the brake if you don't want the car moving. :wink:

For me, it's a convenience function. I am perfectly capable of driving the car without it, but it's convenient to have it, like power windows or power door locks. For me especially, it's comforting as I find some around stop way too close. A couple weeks back, a teenager pulled so close to the end of my S that I could tell he was white, had black hair, brown eyes, a gold chain, black jersey shirt, and a gold filling on the upper right of his mouth. If I can tell all that from my rear view mirror, I would be terrified I would roll back into his car. Other times, people pull so close I can't even see their headlights in the mirror and have to use the rear camera to see what kind of car pulled so close to me. This is why I would want hill hold to work consistently.

Keeping my foot on the brake, like pressing a button to start the car or turning my own steering wheel is burdensome.

- - - Updated - - -

I really don't like this new feature. I wish we could disable it. When i release the break I want the car to start moving, I don't want to have to push the break to remove the break... Usually when I started the car I push the break to start the car but now you kinda have to push 2 times..

You don't need to push the brake. When you press the accelerator pedal, it releases the brake for you.

We're talking about $100k electric supercars. None of us "needs" any of this stuff :)

You want it because it allows you take your feet off the pedals when stopped in traffic, without putting the car in P (which turns on the interior lights, unlocks the doors, and deploys the handles). Then when you want to go you just press the accelerator and the brake releases.

You're right. As long as the number of feet match the number of pedals, it really isn't an issue.

One annoying thing the Model S does, however, is it squawks at you and throws up a message if both pedals are pressed. With a little finesse you can avoid this, but it is annoying nonetheless.

My problem is that they did introduce it, but on older cars there is some sort of threshold before it will work. My luck is such that most of the hills around me are just a hair too shallow for it to engage, and I end up rolling back when I expect that it will be holding.

For me, it requires me to push the brake pedal almost all the way to the floor to engage the hold feature. It's beyond what is required to start (or brake in most cases) the car. Maybe you just need a lighter touch. I've never engaged (aside from the first time; before I knew the feature existed) it accidentally.

Just as a datapoint comment: I like the Hold feature. When I pull up to a signal, knowing I may have to wait maybe a couple minutes, pushing on the brake the whole time is not my favorite way to spend time. Where I live, there are very slight gradients all over the place, and with the brake off, the car rolls. Even when the ground looks level, often it is not.

With just standard foot pressure, when the car stops, it is stopped and held. No need to keep pushing. When ready to go, the slightest pressure on the go pedal and the brakes release and you go. Even starting up fast, I have never had the brakes hold longer than I want. It works perfectly.

I have the 7.0 dashboard, and it is easier than pie to glance down and see that the brake lights are still on when you stop pushing the brake pedal. It holds *every* time, not just on hills. It makes it easy. When you want to stop at a stop sign, it holds until you want to go. If you stop on a hill, it holds until you push the accelerator. It is simple. And it works well.