Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle may not restart

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a bit of a worrying weekend away with my M3.

Setting out on Friday I have various error messages saying “Power was limited” and limiting the car to 58mph. It also said getting out of the car and back in might help, which it did. The errors eventually stopped.

Then on the way back today after supercharging, I get the dreaded message “Vehicle may not restart. Service is required”.

Thankfully the car managed the 2 hour journey back, but as we got to my parents-in-law’s house, another message stated “Electrical system is unable to support all features. Shutting down features to conserve energy”.

Looked on the app, the next service appointment is 27 April! But it seems as if the car is in the midst of some sort of major electrical breakdown.

Anyone had any experience of the above errors?

Setting out on Friday I have various error messages saying “Power was limited” and limiting the car to 58mph. It also said getting out of the car and back in might help, which it did. The errors eventually stopped.

Then on the way back today after supercharging, I get the dreaded message “Vehicle may not restart. Service is required”.

Thankfully the car managed the 2 hour journey back, but as we got to my parents-in-law’s house, another message stated “Electrical system is unable to support all features. Shutting down features to conserve energy”.

Looked on the app, the next service appointment is 27 April! But it seems as if the car is in the midst of some sort of major electrical breakdown.

Call the breakdown if the car is not usable they should prioritise it over non urgent service

Reactions: GRiLLA
Your car is two years old. It might be a bit early to strike and this may be a wild guess but are these not the type of messages reported when the 12v battery starts to fail? Thread below indicates it may be a symptom of another problem

ETA: a search for the words described results in this thread and that OP reporting back:

Last edited:

What was the problem? Was it ultimately resolved? We have the same issue.

Our 2018 M3 LR is in the Service Center. Message said Service Required Vehicle may not restart. Per another message for holding brake down, while parked, for 30 sec and it cleared message, only to have the warning message reappear shortly. Tech help over phone confirmed an issue and suggested getting the vehicle into Service right away - suspecting some issue with main battery circuitry not connecting to 12V battery. Waiting to hear back re what Service Center may have found. 12V battery replaced about 3 months ago. Anyone else run into this?

My didn start next morning, foult motor, waiting for new one, still on warranty gonna cost really nothing….

My model SR+ 2020 also had the same error message. I scheduled an appointment through the app which was 2 weeks away. But the next day they called me to bring the car as soon as I could. It's been at the service center now for over 2 weeks. After running diagnostics for 2 days I received the message that the entire drive unit needs to be replaced and it's unknown when it will be delivered. I love the car but this is disappointing since it's not even 2 years old and has about 30k kilometers on the clock.. Hope to get some news soon and get my car back..

My model SR+ 2020 also had the same error message. I scheduled an appointment through the app which was 2 weeks away. But the next day they called me to bring the car as soon as I could. It's been at the service center now for over 2 weeks. After running diagnostics for 2 days I received the message that the entire drive unit needs to be replaced and it's unknown when it will be delivered. I love the car but this is disappointing since it's not even 2 years old and has about 30k kilometers on the clock.. Hope to get some news soon and get my car back..

Yes, disappointing ... but at least it's covered by warranty and you will have a brand new specification drive unit once the work is completed.

Hello Guys 👋 my car still in Barcelona, They changed motor,but after that car is still not respond that means it wasn’t possibly problem on engine 🤔 is something else wrong ,and Tesla in Barcelona couldn’t find ,so I left my car 🚗, waiting for any news but still nothing, possible will take all August not enough professional stuff in there 😕

• Informative
Reactions: Overworked
Hi 👋 Like new car very disappointing, my have 22000 km already, so can’t complain,car never had serious problems before,anyway 🙂good luck guys… 🚗

I picked my car up today. After almost a month in the Service Center. New drive unit installed. Glad to have it back again and hope I won’t experience anything similar in the future. After a month in rental (ICE) cars I realized on the drive home how much I love this car. Fingers crossed 🤞

Hello guys again I took my car 🚗 from Barcelona today, we drive about four hours ,and on second charger stopped charging and a half 🔋 186 km, and lots of error codes came on again ,Car not respond again !!! possibly same problem ???it means people in Barcelona changed so many parts and may not even find a real problem, this time me and my wife with baby stuck in Valencia in Spain, my car in Teska service again, I hope here in Valencia People in Tesla service bit more clever, I hope they gonna find real problem this time, wey changed motor ,changed coolant, changed coolant pump and we changed 12V battery…