Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ventilated seats in a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please correct me if I’m wrong, but the Model S never received air conditioned / ventilated front seats like we all hoped back when the Model X was released with them. Even the MX only had them for a short period (2016 builds?).

Has anyone swapped a set of MX ventilated seats into a MS and made it work? I imagine there are plumbing and software issues to overcome.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but the Model S never received air conditioned / ventilated front seats like we all hoped back when the Model X was released with them. Even the MX only had them for a short period (2016 builds?).

Has anyone swapped a set of MX ventilated seats into a MS and made it work? I imagine there are plumbing and software issues to overcome.
My Dec. 8, 2016 build MS90D actually has setting for seat warmer AND cooling. The cooling is minimally perceivable though.
IMG_0994.JPG

I myself got the ventilated seats in a 2017 Model S.
The rear seats has the same perforated leather as the front. I just don't see an option to enable the rear-seat cooling.
Anyone knows if the rears also have it and how to turn it on?
The manual says nothing about it, as far as I can see.

..... I just don't see an option to enable the rear-seat cooling. ....
Rear seats have never had ventilation or cooling, only a heat option.

On the fronts, the 2021+ LR/Plaid has cooled seats, and I find it works too well. Gets cold fairly quickly. Prior ventilated front seats (when offered) only had a fan and no cooling, but still nicer than non-ventilated seats.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Can anyone answer if swapping ventilated seats with non-ventilated seats is possible?
While I don't know for sure, very few things in our Tesla are plug-and-play. This means adding something (like ventilated seats) is unlikely to automatically pop up the controls to activate the fan. Even with Toolbox 3, it's unlikely to allow you to add the feature, and Tesla service is also unlikely to activate the feature.

One option as you're installing the ventilated seat would be to wire the fan to a separate switch that you mount on the side of the seat. Turn it on and off as desired. I'd go into Tesla's schematics to see the wiring.

While I don't know for sure, very few things in our Tesla are plug-and-play. This means adding something (like ventilated seats) is unlikely to automatically pop up the controls to activate the fan. Even with Toolbox 3, it's unlikely to allow you to add the feature, and Tesla service is also unlikely to activate the feature.

One option as you're installing the ventilated seat would be to wire the fan to a separate switch that you mount on the side of the seat. Turn it on and off as desired. I'd go into Tesla's schematics to see the wiring.
Thanks for quick reply.

I actually want to get rid of the ventilated seats (beige color) and want to install non-ventilated seats (white vegan). I understand the MCU will not show updated changes, but will the wiring be plug-and-play?

If the same era seats, I'd expect switching to non-ventilated seats to work fine, but you should go into the schematics and check. Tesla doesn't change connectors that often, but wiring sometimes changes. Going between generations (with the same features) is more problematic, although it can be done too.

If the same era seats, I'd expect switching to non-ventilated seats to work fine, but you should go into the schematics and check. Tesla doesn't change connectors that often, but wiring sometimes changes. Going between generations (with the same features) is more problematic, although it can be done too.
I sent Tesla messege regarding swapping seats and they replied they could not help me as they dont perform these changes. Kinda weird they could not provide information.

Looking at Tesla parts number, but cant find the schematics you are speaking about. Any tips on how to go further from here?

My Feb 2022 MSLR front seats are ventilated.